Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62

    Does Bb30 Make A Diffrence? Is It Worth It?

    My Scalpel 2 frame came with an little damage an Cannondale offered me any Scalpel or Rush frame to replaced it. I decided to get a Rush carbon frame and the LBS is trying to get me buy the bb30 crankset for that frame but it is kind of expensive $1000 with ceramic brakets. I wonder if the bb30 makes a noticeble difference and if it is worth it?

    Any opinions?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2
    I have a 2008 carbon scalpel with the SI SL crank and IMO, no it is not worth it, if you are not interested in the weight savings. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautifull crank, spins lightly and is very light, but unless you are a VERY powerfull rider, you won't feel a difference in stifness.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by lexen007
    I have a 2008 carbon scalpel with the SI SL crank and IMO, no it is not worth it, if you are not interested in the weight savings. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautifull crank, spins lightly and is very light, but unless you are a VERY powerfull rider, you won't feel a difference in stifness.
    What bugs me is that if I want to go BB30 down the road, I would have to buy a new or used BB30 frame because once the reducers or sleves are pressed in the Rush carbon frame to make the regular size cranks fit, those reducer/sleves are not coming out without taking the risk of damaging the carbon frame. That's what makes me hesitate about not getting the BB30.

    What do you think?

  4. #4
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,379
    You could go with a different crankset than the Hollowgram SL if that one is too expensive. The Cannondale Carbon BB30 is cheaper and FSA now has three BB30 cranksets... Personally, I'd make sure that every frame I get from now on are BB30... I think we'll see more and more frames and cranksets with BB30.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You could go with a different crankset than the Hollowgram SL if that one is too expensive. The Cannondale Carbon BB30 is cheaper and FSA now has three BB30 cranksets... Personally, I'd make sure that every frame I get from now on are BB30... I think we'll see more and more frames and cranksets with BB30.
    Hey DG, does the BB30 really make a noticeble difference when pedaling? I am more of a pedal freak kind of rider. How are the Cannondale BB30 holowgram compare to the Carbon Truvativ Noir? Those Carbon Truvativ Noir are the ones I have in the Scalpel frame that is being swap for the Rush Carbon BB30.

  6. #6
    Unit 91
    Reputation: TheProphet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,189
    You shouldnt have a problem pressing out the adaptor. I have done it on a carbon frame no problem. IMO, BB30 is just simplier and I like simple things. No threads to ever mess with again.
    Bikes

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    You shouldnt have a problem pressing out the adaptor. I have done it on a carbon frame no problem. IMO, BB30 is just simplier and I like simple things. No threads to ever mess with again.
    Hey The Prophet, if the reducers/sleves can be easily pressed out, why most people say that it can be done but it will most likely damage the carbon frame?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    439
    The '07 Carbon Rush I just bought used has an alum BB section that the bearings fit into. It looks like a piece of alum tubing was used for the BB shell with the carbon fiber molded around it.

    BTW, I did have to use quite a bit of force to insert the crank spindle back through the bearings after replacing the big rings. I just received some new bb bearings so I am going to try some other ideas to see if removing/replacing crank and bearings can be done easier.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    267

    Here's What C'dale Says

    LS39

    Here's a link to the installation of both the bearings and reducer sleeve at C'dale site:

    http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf



    Tilos

  10. #10
    Unit 91
    Reputation: TheProphet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by LS39
    Hey The Prophet, if the reducers/sleves can be easily pressed out, why most people say that it can be done but it will most likely damage the carbon frame?
    If done incorrectly, I could see how it would damage a carbon frame especially because you are using a headset press. If done with the right tools, you shouldnt have a problem pressing it out with the proper precautions.
    Bikes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •