mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Does anyone own a Cannondale IQ 118 wireless or non-wireless computer?

Does anyone own a Cannondale IQ 118 wireless or non-wireless computer? I want to buy the wireless version (white!!!) for my Badboy Ultra and was wondering what it is like. Specifically, the fork mounting, handlebar mounting, functions, battery life and is it backlit? Any photos especially the fork mounting would be appreciated very, very much.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yes, it is not only backlit- but also has outside temperature, average miles, odometer, max speed......and you can obtain data from two bikes. I am happy with mine. At first, every time I tried to illuminate the on-demand backlight.....the entire computer would reset.....a real PITA- especially when you have to go through the reconfiguration motions all over again. I finally figured out how to prevent it from happening;

a) push the right button at the far edge- not squarely
    b) push button ONLY for five seconds- then release

I love the wireless feature of it, and so will you. Worth $50-$60.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Managed to pick one up and yes it is a great computer. One question though, the display seems to be very dim (I have replaced with new batteries), how do I adjust the contrast of the display?

There is no way to adjust the contrast- but try mounting it at an angle where you are not viewing the display directly from above(very dim). I mounted it on my bars, but level with the ground. I have no problems viewing it now. A slight re-tilt may be all you need. Otherwise, your unit may be defective.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It does seem very dim and yes it views better from a 45 degree angle.

Also, keep the IQ118 very FAR AWAY from iPods, MP3 players and cellphones(at least 1ft away). The magnets inside those devices can and will.....exaggerate certain data badly. Instead of (true)MXSPEED reading 31.1mph- my unit read a whopping 92.3mph.....after sitting in my backpack with cellphone, just for 30min! Once reset.....everything returns back to normal. Whew!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Altered the position this evening and it is okay. Seems to be designed so screen is faded and viewed from an angle probably to increase battery life.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Can you remove the computer easily with the press of a clip or something? or do you need a screwdriver etc to do that.

If I lock up my bike I'd like to keep the computer part with me.

Quote Originally Posted by tsage
    Can you remove the computer easily with the press of a clip or something? or do you need a screwdriver etc to do that.

If I lock up my bike I'd like to keep the computer part with me.
    The unit is easily removeable, with a 45 degree counterclockwise turn.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Heads-Up...

My unit stopped working after 3200 miles. Any electro-magnetic exposure will KILL this unit. NO:

1. Cellphones
    2. iPods
    3. Headphones
    4. Radios

The above items cannot be within ONE FOOT of the display unit. Repeated exposure will render the unit useless. The last 1000 miles made the unit very unreliable; inaccurate speed/max speed readings. Raise the front wheel during riding and your max speed suddenly becomes close to a motorcycle(ie; 97.3mph!). Also, I never knew keeping the removeable display unit near my cellphone gradually killed it.

The owner's manual states the unit is 100% warrentied for the life of the unit. Your LBS handles all returns. Cannondale plans to recall this product, due to a high failure rate.

A comparable replacement cyclocomputer is the new CatEye Strada Wireless. Even though it lacks the temperature guage and LCD backlight- the 100% electro-magnetic interference free and Japanese-made Strada is still a worthy compromise over the POS Chinese-made IQ118 unit.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"