Ridin' many miles...

Does anyone miss their Jekyll Lockout?

Is there anyone out there who had their rear shock "push'd" or otherwise modified?
    Do all of these mods result in removal of the lockout?
    If not, which ones don't?

And lastly, and most importantly, does anyone miss the lockout of does the mod make all your dreams come true?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm curious too... anyone have any comments?

Ridin' many miles...

Do new designs keep the bike from bobbing when pedaling?

I guess I need to re-phrase the question:
    Do the new shock designs or mods (read push'd) keep the bike from bobbing while pedeling?

I like the ability to lock out the rear shock on buff trails or fire roads. I especially like the fact that I can simply reach down and flip the lever while riding up or down. I think I'd miss that, but would like some opinions.
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

I ride therefore I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla
    I guess I need to re-phrase the question:
    Do the new shock designs or mods (read push'd) keep the bike from bobbing while pedeling?

I like the ability to lock out the rear shock on buff trails or fire roads. I especially like the fact that I can simply reach down and flip the lever while riding up or down. I think I'd miss that, but would like some opinions.
    EdZ...
    I owned a 2001 Jekyll 700 LTD with a Lefty ELO & FOX float RC, upgraded to the RL with cable Lockout and rode that for years, always locking out because of the pedal bob. Last year I sold my '01and bought an '04 Jekyll SOBE 800 with a MAX & FOX RL ProPedal w/cable lockout. The ProPedal had a better feel and I rarely locked it out except on the steepest uphill or the road. I decided to go full race so I sold the Jekyll frame and fork and swapped all the components to a Scalpel frame. I really missed the fun of the Jekyll and ended up buying another '04 Jekyll 800 SOBE frame off ebay to build. The first upgrade was a manitou spv 3-way, along with the Cannondale/manitou Lefty MAX TPC+ fork this is by far the best suspension combo I have ever ridden. My poor scalpel and gemini just sit around gathering dust now.

The bike pedals, climbs, jumps great now that I got the spv set up right, Its a dream now....

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    EdZ...
    ... I really missed the fun of the Jekyll and ended up buying another '04 Jekyll 800 SOBE frame off ebay to build. The first upgrade was a manitou spv 3-way, along with the Cannondale/manitou Lefty MAX TPC+ fork this is by far the best suspension combo I have ever ridden. My poor scalpel and gemini just sit around gathering dust now.

The bike pedals, climbs, jumps great now that I got the spv set up right, Its a dream now....
    Ok, good. Someone who has experience with the lockout, and the newer shocks on the same frame design.

I have another question for you: THe newer Jekyll frames have a different rear shock mount geometry and therefore more travel. How does this new design compare with the older design like my August 2000 (I think it's a 2001 frame) Jekyll? Other than more travel that is?

I ride therefore I am.

Good job! Different geometry...

Ok, good. Someone who has experience with the lockout, and the newer shocks on the same frame design.

I have another question for you: THe newer Jekyll frames have a different rear shock mount geometry and therefore more travel. How does this new design compare with the older design like my August 2000 (I think it's a 2001 frame) Jekyll? Other than more travel that is?
    That's hard to say since when the frame geometry changed so did the shock from the RL to the ProPedal. Whatever the reason there was a very noticable difference in the ride. On the ProPedal the pedal bob was reduced but so was some of the small bump response. When I changed to the Manitou spv that was where the major difference was felt. The adjustability of the spv 3-way is awesome. Depending on the riding conditions I usually don't have to adjust the 2 air pressures a whole lot. Usually just a matter of dialing the response in.

I have noticed that the suspension seems to use the travel better in this design than in the older one, seems like I've gained way more than +/-1" travel. Travel seems to be smoother at full compression and recover quicker w/o throwing me over the handlebars. Could be the shock???????

Like I said before I have been a Jekyll fan since '01 and then I bought the '04 for more travel I was a little disapointed with the original set-up of '04 with the ProPedal and the MAX w/o compression adjustment. The second bike set-up with the Manitou spv 3-way and the Max TPC+ are the perfect combo.

I'm looking forward to seeing and riding the new Prophet 4000 if it is the bike they are claiming (24 lbs. bike w/5 1/2" of travel front and rear w/adjustable geometry) I would sell my Scalpel, Gemini, Chase and Jekyll to get it.... sure would save some space....we'll see...

mtbr member

lockout

I don't miss my lockout. I have an 04Jekyll 800, I had the lockout removed. I ride about 30 miles a week on the road and found that when the rear was locked out the bike had a bobbing ride to it. Of course not many people do road rides on a FS bike, but there are days when I can't make it to a trail and so I ride the road.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    I'm looking forward to seeing and riding the new Prophet 4000 if it is the bike they are claiming (24 lbs. bike w/5 1/2" of travel front and rear w/adjustable geometry) I would sell my Scalpel, Gemini, Chase and Jekyll to get it.... sure would save some space....we'll see...
    Thanks for all the great feedback. Sounds like you're a real C'Dale fan or very hooked up! I'd like to try the Prophet as well as soon as possible. Next season a new bike is on the list.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripshift
    I don't miss my lockout. I have an 04Jekyll 800, I had the lockout removed. I ride about 30 miles a week on the road and found that when the rear was locked out the bike had a bobbing ride to it. Of course not many people do road rides on a FS bike, but there are days when I can't make it to a trail and so I ride the road.
    One of the things that made me pick my 04 Jekyll 600 disc was the lockout on the rear. What a complete waste. When you lock it out you don't get the feel of a hardtail, you get the feel of a hardtail with a crack in the middle of the frame. The bolt that holds the back of the shock is a little bit too small for the opening in the frame, so it just clunks around inside the hole. On a smooth surface the thing bobs about 1/4" - that is a small amount but it is incredibly annoying. You can sort of alleviate this by tightening the bolt but not really.

ಠ_ಠ

Push'd Jekyll

I have a 02 Jekyll 500 with a Fox Float X that I had push'd about 9 months ago. I never had a lock-out. This was my first mtn bike so I didn't know what I was missing (or doing for that matter). I knew c'dale was a good brand, but didn't realize that with a single pivot linkage you need a lock-out, preferably with elo. When I started looking at these boards I learned about Push Industries and was really stoked to see they could upgrade my shock with spv. They are located right in my backyard so I just drove it down there and talked to them for a bit, which got me even more excited since they told me that they would custom tune it for my riding style and weight. The next day, I had the bike back on the trail with the upgraded shock. The difference was immediately noticeable. No bob during the climb, I mean zero, unless I get out of the saddle and then there is some. I think locking out defeats one of the best things about a fs bike -- increased traction on technical climbs.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by tshrey
    One of the things that made me pick my 04 Jekyll 600 disc was the lockout on the rear. What a complete waste. When you lock it out you don't get the feel of a hardtail, you get the feel of a hardtail with a crack in the middle of the frame. The bolt that holds the back of the shock is a little bit too small for the opening in the frame, so it just clunks around inside the hole. On a smooth surface the thing bobs about 1/4" - that is a small amount but it is incredibly annoying. You can sort of alleviate this by tightening the bolt but not really.
    Sorry but it sounds like the bushing on the rear shock-swingarm interface is missing. Go to your C'Dale dealer and look at another Jekyll. Then ask them why it's so sloppy and have them look at it.

Once I was working on my bike and lost the bushing without realizing it. I rode it for awhile with exactly the same symptoms you describe, and I took it into the C'Dale dealer who said "Where's the bushing, Dude?" They replaced it and no more slop.

Check it out and let us know if that's it.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    ...I never had a lock out... I think locking out defeats one of the best things about a fs bike -- increased traction on technical climbs.
    I agree that you want the shock active for climbing and bob-free on the flat cranking sections, but the lockout on the Jekyll is so easily accessable, it's a non issue really to switch it on or off. I always have the suspension active when climbing technical stuff or descending. When I'm on some buff climb I lock it out, but that's about the only time.
    Last edited by EdZilla; 09-28-2004 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry but it sounds like the bushing on the rear shock-swingarm interface is missing. Go to your C'Dale dealer and look at another Jekyll. Then ask them why it's so sloppy and have them look at it.

Once I was working on my bike and lost the bushing without realizing it. I rode it for awhile with exactly the same symptoms you describe, and I took it into the C'Dale dealer who said "Where's the bushing, Dude?" They replaced it and no more slop.

Check it out and let us know if that's it.
    There is a bushing in the shock. Are you saying there should be a bushing in the frame as well? There is definitely not a bushing in the frame holes on either side of the shock.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by tshrey
    There is a bushing in the shock. Are you saying there should be a bushing in the frame as well? There is definitely not a bushing in the frame holes on either side of the shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edzilla
    the bushing on the rear shock-swingarm interface is missing.
    Shock-swingarm interface. Take it to a C'Dale dealer and ask them.