Just A Mountain Biker.

Do I Want A Lefty? Trail SL2 29"er Q's

Well, inevitably after 2 years on my Trail SL2 29'er it has been completely changed and the only thing stock that remains is that boat anchor Recon Silver TK hanging off the front end. I received clearance from the CFO to upgrade my fork - problem is I don't know what I want.

Lefty's are cool, but admittedly I don't know anything about them. Give me a traditional fork and a few tools, and I can install it no problem! I don't even know where to start with the Lefty, and unfortunately the C'Dale LBS I went to this morning to ask questions couldn't even answer MOST of them.

I got:
    "Why would you want to do THAT?"
    "They are so much work to maintain"
    "They're complicated, we don't even work on them here we have to send them out"
    "I'm not even sure our owner would let us install one for liability reasons"
    "You'll need a whole new wheel and a bunch of other stuff" (well duh, I already knew that about the wheel)

So about me - my riding has changed over the years from DH to aggressive AM to pretty much I just enjoy cruising the trails anymore - fun, whippy single track that keeps your attention but doesn't require stopping to "session" every little pile of rocks. I am running 1x10, ride in AZ, really digging my change back to platform pedals after 20 years of clipless - I guess I am just a basic boring mountain biker at this point which I know infuriates marketing people that can't put me in a tidy little bucket.

So my question - is it worth the time, effort and expense of doing the change to a Lefty? Or am I better off just putting a tapered Reba or Sid on there? Which Lefty would I want (not looking for the carbon one)? What else do I need besides the fork? The steerer tube? Can I use my 1.5" Thomson stem on there, the OPI stems look to only come in 90mm length at a minimum ~ I prefer 65-ish. Also want to keep my 100mm of travel. So many questions, I dropped a PM to resident Lefty expert MCS as well but thought I would seek some advice here as well.

If anyone has any pics of their trail SL2's with a Lefty, that would be great too. Or experiences, pros/cons.

Thanks in advance for anything to share -
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I had a dream last night I was on a M429 with a lefty just out of the shop *****'n trail all kinds of fun then the nightmare broken spoke front wheel coming loose. Woke up thinking I am going to make it happen good luck keep us posted.