mtbr member
    May 2007

Disadvantage of firmer lefty negative spring?

Hi everybody, just found this forum here, really good information so far. I have a new Rush 600 in a large with the Lefty Speed DLR2 that has a defective lockout due to a oil leak from the damper. The LBS pulled it and refilled it but it leaked again. Anyway, they called cannondale tech who told them the lower seals were defective (actually installed backwards at the factory if you can believe that) on some of the 2006 models, and that they would send out a new damper unit to install. At the time the tech asked my weight, which is 200lbs, and so he recommended the extra firm black negative spring and will be sending a new unit with that installed.

Anyway, since by looking through the manual, I am right on the borderline for the red spring(up to 195lbs) or the black spring. What is the advantage or disadvantage of running the heavier negative spring on this fork? Also, should I increase my air pressure to compensate for it? Thanks in advance!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dawkins20
    Anyway, since by looking through the manual, I am right on the borderline for the red spring(up to 195lbs) or the black spring. What is the advantage or disadvantage of running the heavier negative spring on this fork? Also, should I increase my air pressure to compensate for it? Thanks in advance!
    It may be a nice thing, and you're on track as far as tuning for a stiffer neg spring. Issue is, it's merits become moot, as the neg is supposed to increase suppleness, ramp up the main, and it loses that....If it works as is, I'd say leave it alone
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, I wasn't really itching to try the firmer spring, but the cannondale tech recommended it based on my weight since they have to send out a whole new damper assembly anyway. I probably wouldn't have bothered changing it over a 5 lbs difference in recommended weight. Get this, apparently according to the tech the defect is that a batch of the 2006 DLR2 forks were assembled in the factory with the lower seal backwards, causing the obvious oil leakage. Gotta love quality control.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dawkins20
    a batch of the 2006 DLR2 forks were assembled in the factory with the lower seal backwards,
    Where did yours leak from?? I smell fish stories.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com