Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Dirty Flea rear hub

So my rear hub makes a grinding noise every now and then, I pedal and it goes away. I'm guessing it's the freewheel pawls or something in there but just haven't had the time to investigate. Are these hubs rebuildable? It's an 08 Rush sl if that matters. Anyone have a rear take off?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    So my rear hub makes a grinding noise every now and then, I pedal and it goes away. I'm guessing it's the freewheel pawls or something in there but just haven't had the time to investigate. Are these hubs rebuildable? It's an 08 Rush sl if that matters. Anyone have a rear take off?
    I had this and found one of the bearings in the freehub was totally busted. Ringle sent me a new freehub assembly with bearings and accoutrements for free. Call them.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I had this and found one of the bearings in the freehub was totally busted. Ringle sent me a new freehub assembly with bearings and accoutrements for free. Call them.
    Awesome! I'll try and call them tomorrow. Thanks

How do I do that?
    I'm not sure if my situation is the same but my Flea hub started making a noise as well during my last ride. When I'm coasting, it'll make a slight grinding noise once every revolution. It doesn't always make the noise but it's too early to tell since it just started yesterday. I put it up on the rack and pedaled backwards and sure enough, there's that noise and slight vibration once during each full revolution.

Iheartbicycles, when you say freehub assembly, bearings and accoutrements, does that mean the entire hub needs to be replaced, ie, wheels relaced? Or is it just the internals that can be changed?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but I could pick up the tools to remove the cassette if I need to but I don't think I'll be attempting a relace......although I did manage to relace my BMX when I was 12 years old

I guess I need to figure out if it's the hub but I can't imagine it being anything else at the moment

Thanks

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    I'm not sure if my situation is the same but my Flea hub started making a noise as well during my last ride. When I'm coasting, it'll make a slight grinding noise once every revolution. It doesn't always make the noise but it's too early to tell since it just started yesterday. I put it up on the rack and pedaled backwards and sure enough, there's that noise and slight vibration once during each full revolution.

Iheartbicycles, when you say freehub assembly, bearings and accoutrements, does that mean the entire hub needs to be replaced, ie, wheels relaced? Or is it just the internals that can be changed?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but I could pick up the tools to remove the cassette if I need to but I don't think I'll be attempting a relace......although I did manage to relace my BMX when I was 12 years old

I guess I need to figure out if it's the hub but I can't imagine it being anything else at the moment

Thanks
    what happened with my hub is it started making a growling noise upon freewheeling. After removing the freehub body from the hub, and removing the axle from the freehub, I noticed the main bearing between the freehub and hub body was totally and completely shot. in peices.

I called ringle and they sent a complete freehub kit with all bearings, pawls, springs, axle end cap and o-ring.

This does not require the whole wheel to be rebuilt; and the work can be done in a short period of time if you know what you're doing. Less than 1/2 hour work to do the repair.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Every few weeks or so I pull my hub apart and clean the pawls, and all the bearing seals. I have not had any problems but I will definitely pull the axle out next time and look at the bearing near the free hub body.

How do I do that?
    Yup, that best describes what its doing, growling.

The bike only has about 400 miles on it so far but I just did some googling and it seems this happens quite often with these hubs. Since I bought my Rize out of state and I'd rather repair it myself, I'll have to look into exactly what tools I'll be needing to take apart the hub.

I know It'll take me a lot longer then 30 minutes but I'm fairly certain I could manage.
    Actually, do you happen to know what tools I'll be needing offhand? I really appreciate the help man, thanks a bunch .

PS, would it cause further damage to irreplaceable parts of the hub if I continue to ride it for a week or so while I get the tools and parts or should I retire the bike and lose my mind till I fix it?

A list of what tools I think I will need to repair the hub;

- A freewheel remover(don't know which one)

http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=4

- a chain whip. sprocket remover

- cone wrenches

- a 10, 11 or 12mm hex wrench

-My goodness, I was planning on getting some of these tools in the future but the timing couldn't be worse financially
    Last edited by Tuff Gong; 08-05-2009 at 10:45 PM.

How do I do that?
    The power of a quick search

I would have never thought that I have the ability to pedal that hard though Who am I kidding, I guess it's not that strong a hub

My Dirty Flea Is Growwwwling!

Sun Dirty Flea Hub Problem

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Yup, that best describes what its doing, growling.

The bike only has about 400 miles on it so far but I just did some googling and it seems this happens quite often with these hubs. Since I bought my Rize out of state and I'd rather repair it myself, I'll have to look into exactly what tools I'll be needing to take apart the hub.

I know It'll take me a lot longer then 30 minutes but I'm fairly certain I could manage.
    Actually, do you happen to know what tools I'll be needing offhand? I really appreciate the help man, thanks a bunch .

PS, would it cause further damage to irreplaceable parts of the hub if I continue to ride it for a week or so while I get the tools and parts or should I retire the bike and lose my mind till I fix it?

A list of what tools I think I will need to repair the hub;

- A freewheel remover(don't know which one)

http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=4

- a chain whip. sprocket remover

- cone wrenches

- a 10, 11 or 12mm hex wrench

-My goodness, I was planning on getting some of these tools in the future but the timing couldn't be worse financially
    Hey dude.

It's really pretty simple. I honestly doubt you will do irreparable damage if you ride it another week.

You'll need a park FR5 which is the cassette removal tool, which unlocks the lockring on the cassette and you'll need a chain whip.

Other than that a small flat head screw driver or pocket knife - in order to get the o-ring off the non drive side axle and a hammer/mallet to tap the axle out of the hub, and then again to tap the axle out from the freehub body.

Once you get the axle and freehub assembly out of the hub, tap the axle on the non-drive side to remove from the freehub body. Then install the new freehub body on the axle and then back into the hub body.

This is all assuming ringle hooks you up, which they should.

Specialized sucks dong

Ridin' dirty!
    I had issues with my RDF rear hubs as well and the Ringle" (Or Hayes for that matter) tech dept. was the best I've ever experienced, period!
    They send me 2 new free hub assemblies with instructions etc.
    The free hub bodies were revised in '08 and uses different sized bearings now.
    Another thing to mention (which was underlined in bright red by the tech dept.): DO NOT USE GREASE for the pawls!
    In the wheel forum they suggest that to make them quieter, but it's a big no, no for the DF hub since it has only 3 pawls with small leaf springs that are not that strong.
    Grease might keep the pawls from engaging properly, the free hub body comes off center a bit and there go your bearings!
    Make sure you only use the oil they recommend!
    I use 80W boat engine trans lube as this is waterproof.
    Replacing the Free hub body assembly takes less than 10 min. and that's with cleaning and lubing it!
    Last edited by cdalemaniac; 08-06-2009 at 06:58 PM.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

How do I do that?
    Thanks a lot man, I appreciate all the info I'll pick those tools up at the lbs when I get a chance this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    shure enough, the innermost bearing in the freewheel was completely wasted. Calling Ringle tomorrow a new freewheel. Sucks because now I cant ride this weekend

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    shure enough, the innermost bearing in the freewheel was completely wasted. Calling Ringle tomorrow a new freewheel. Sucks because now I cant ride this weekend
    That's why I always keep a complete assembly as a spare!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    That's why I always keep a complete assembly as a spare!
    Well, I will have a spare from now on as well!

Tool
    I had the same problem as the OP. It was one of the bearings inside - my LBS mechanic said the bearing had disintegrated and ruined the free hub. Ringle and the LBS covered it under warranty (my bike was 8 months old at the time).

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    These dirty flea hubs are garbage.

I replaced the freehub 3 times, even with the new design, then I had to send the wheel in to have a new ring gear put into it, which did not work in the end, the new ring gear slipped. So the hub was toast, ringle sent me a new one and would not pay for the wheel to be rebuilt, so I sold it for a better designed hub.

I relaced a Hadley hub 1.5 years ago on the same rim and it works beautifully, no problems. Plus the through axle makes this floppy prophet swingarm a little stiffer.

Ringle tech support is great if you can get one of them to answer the phone.
    I noticed that Hayes disc brakes answers the phone more often and it goes to the same guys.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    These dirty flea hubs are garbage.

I replaced the freehub 3 times, even with the new design, then I had to send the wheel in to have a new ring gear put into it, which did not work in the end, the new ring gear slipped. So the hub was toast, ringle sent me a new one and would not pay for the wheel to be rebuilt, so I sold it for a better designed hub.

I relaced a Hadley hub 1.5 years ago on the same rim and it works beautifully, no problems. Plus the through axle makes this floppy prophet swingarm a little stiffer.

Ringle tech support is great if you can get one of them to answer the phone.
    I noticed that Hayes disc brakes answers the phone more often and it goes to the same guys.
    I never called, shot them an e-mail and had a reply within hours.
    Sorry to hear what happened to your hub, but since I fixed mine it's going strong with no issues what so ever.
    Tech dept. even checked back after 2 months to see if everything was still okay, have you ever experienced that?
    If I should ever bust this hub beyond repair I will get a CK

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I never called, shot them an e-mail and had a reply within hours.
    Sorry to hear what happened to your hub, but since I fixed mine it's going strong with no issues what so ever.
    Tech dept. even checked back after 2 months to see if everything was still okay, have you ever experienced that?
    If I should ever bust this hub beyond repair I will get a CK
    I called twice and left a message once and spoke to someone the other time. They returned the first call within an hour. They then sent me outr a free freewheel assembly. I call that great customer service. The hub in question was beat on pretty much every weekend at least for about 2 years. It owes me nothing

How do I do that?
    Well, my farily new (less then 400 miles) Dirty Flea has definitely crapped out on me. I bought the said tools and as IHB had mentioned earlier, it was easy as cake to disassemble. What I saw inside broke my heart though

Look at those bearings or rather, fragments of whats left of them!

I'll call Sun Ringle Monday morning but I hope I can get this repaired quick. I'm definitely going to go truly mad and insane having my only bike out of commission. Not being able to ride for the next week+ is not gonna be good for my conscience

Would it be safe to say that I should not ride this bike for the next week while I (hopefully) receive some replacement parts? I suppose I shouldn't risk damaging the ratchet wheel teeth that seems to be pressed(?) into the main hub. I could tell the inner race will need to be replaced along with the freewheel assembly but I don't want to cause any damage to parts that's are not easily replaceable.

On a side note, is it normal for the cassette to dig into the freewheel hub like this? I know the bearings didn't disintegrate from my brute strength (yeah right!) but I thought this was odd seeing how the cassette dug into the hub. I'm just an out of shape newbie who just got into this sport and is slowly getting fitter as I ride every morning. Could I be the cause of this as I may be doing something wrong? Thanks.

Iheartbicycles, thanks again for taking the time to explain things the other day, I really appreciate it

Ridin' dirty!
    Mine looked just like that! And yes, it's normal on an alloy freehub body to have marks from the cassette like that...no worries though.
    Do you have a snap ring on the outside where the cassette lockring engages?
    If yes, it's the old style freehub assembly if not, then it's the revised one.
    Anyhow, a good cleaning, new bearing and proper lubrication should get everything functioning properly again...

How do I do that?
    Mine looked just like that! And yes, it's normal on an alloy freehub body to have marks from the cassette like that...no worries though.
    Do you have a snap ring on the outside where the cassette lockring engages?
    If yes, it's the old style freehub assembly if not, then it's the revised one.
    Anyhow, a good cleaning, new bearing and proper lubrication should get everything functioning properly again...
    Phew, for a fraction of a second, I thought, "snap ring?, oh no, I must have forced that wrench so hard without noticing one" Quickly took a look and no, I don't think this has a snap ring

So the lack of a snap ring on the cassette lock ring signifies that it's a revised version of the ........freewheel assembly? Huh, I would have never thought having a different cassette would show that. This newb has got a lot to learn.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tuff Gong; 08-08-2009 at 11:03 PM.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    I'd try and get a new axle too... it should take 5 or so days to get the new freehub.

Ridin' dirty!
    Sorry, I always get it mixed up...the revised freehub assembly does have a snap ring and a smaller bearing on the ratchet side that get's pressed in from the inside...so yours is actually the new one.
    The old style had 2 of the same bearings, with the one on the ratchet side being pressed in flush against the free hub body.
    Anyhow, here's a pic...unfortunately I don't have the other one as I deleted them after receiving the new parts from hayes....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Do you think Ringle would warranty this? There's a couple notches taken out of the freehub body making it very difficult to take off the smallest cog on the cassette.

Here's one...

and the other.

Ridin' dirty!
    Maybe they will.....although it's normal wear and tear I guess.
    Try to file it down a bit and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast