mtbr member
    Jan 2004

difference in rigidity between various Lefties?

Hey guys- I am thinking about building up a really light bike, but don't want to sacrifice performance and rigidity too much. The Lefty seems like an obvious choice, and everyone says it is super rigid, but I wonder which version they are talking about... I remember there being a chart on Cannondale's site illustrating the varying levels of rigidity of the different versions of the fork but don't see it there anymore.
    Can anyone who has ridden several versions of this fork tell me about their opinion of it?
    My standard for rigidity is early 2000's linkage forks like the last versions of the Girvin Vector, which is basically as stiff as rigid.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Every lefty fork is rigid fork...
    But carbon lefty is lighter than alloy.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Having ridden a Girvin? You're in for a treat.

Any Lefty will be tons stiffer than that fork. Add to that the fact that the fork doesn't have that goofy J path and you'll be in love.

The carbons are *slightly* less stiff than the alloy, but not to a level that anyone I've spoken to has ever noticed.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I rode an aluminum dlr while my carbon dlr was warrantied - 6 weeks. Only dif I could notice was weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the tips, guys. Cannondale seems to outsource the engineering of the guts of its forks to other companies- I remember they had Manitou's TLC Plus in their forks for awhile, then Fox's Terralogic. Which version is most current?
    For what it's worth, I like linkage forks' curved axle path, although I understand one advantage of that, the elimination of bob when pedaling, also pertains to platform dampers now used in telescopic forks. It is also hard to see how a fork could be more rigid than a Girvin, which is made of two baseball bats. But then, it has been ten years and these things do move along.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WlRqcAQr2w

If you still want a twin tube fork, have it, more lefties for the rest of us.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,