Nor­wegr

Difference in performance, lefty hubs

Can anyone educate me on the different lefty hubs that are out there?

Is there anything to consider other than weight?
    I can see how the quality of the bearings would matter, but all it's going to do is spin so how much of a difference can there really be

In a different thread I'm 'blogging' my Scalpel build and I have the rear wheel specs that I want ready to go, but in terms of which hub to choose for my front wheel I'm really lost.

If you can recommend a specific brand to me, I'm in need of a 32h hub. Pricing I'm not really worried about, my budget exploded 2 days after my project started.

mtbr member
    this is a pretty good question which I asked myself about a year ago trying to decide on a wheelset. I never have problems with my wheels coming out of true, so spoke strength wasnt an issue. I found the weight savings over the factory lefty hub was insignificant. And the factory cartridge bearings could be simply replaced for higher quality ones anyway.

Id love to hear from someone more knowledgeable if there really is a performance advantage to an aftermarket lefty hub. (Besides the bling factor of course)

Just a flesh wound
    The Cannondale Lefty hub is as good as it gets. Other, more expensive Lefty hubs are not worth the charge. No weight penalty. And as previously noted, you can get better bearings.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    If you can afford it, get some DT SWiss XCR 1.2s off of the tinterwebs.

If not, maybe some Industry9 hubs lace to some ZTR Crests?

Have you ordered your rear yet? What have you specced it as? I don't know about you but I HATE wheels that don't match.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Any front hub is merely a holder for bearings.

Made to a known level of quality themselves, they all work flawlessly.

They only reason to spend more than the $100 Cannondale charges, is if you want bling, in which case, the P321 with it's sexy matching cap, is hard to beat.

Woodman offers 36 hole for the big boys, (Cannondale has 32, 28 and 24 covered) otherwise, it's not any better either...

As for DT Swiss, cool that they joined the fray, but see my initial thought.

I9, used with their alloy spokes? Cool wheels, and sexy, but no "better" front hub performance, just nice stiff wheels due to their proprietary spokes. Ditto for Mavic CrossMax.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    this is a pretty good question which I asked myself about a year ago trying to decide on a wheelset. I never have problems with my wheels coming out of true, so spoke strength wasnt an issue. I found the weight savings over the factory lefty hub was insignificant. And the factory cartridge bearings could be simply replaced for higher quality ones anyway.

Id love to hear from someone more knowledgeable if there really is a performance advantage to an aftermarket lefty hub. (Besides the bling factor of course)
    I found some MTBR threads about this, but not enough to really enough to make a decision on.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    The Cannondale Lefty hub is as good as it gets. Other, more expensive Lefty hubs are not worth the charge. No weight penalty. And as previously noted, you can get better bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    If you can afford it, get some DT SWiss XCR 1.2s off of the tinterwebs.

If not, maybe some Industry9 hubs lace to some ZTR Crests?

Have you ordered your rear yet? What have you specced it as? I don't know about you but I HATE wheels that don't match.
    My rear wheel will be a XX1 ready P321 hub, I found a nice deal on a matching front P321 with cap and bolt a few hours after posting the thread so I guess that's my setup!

Rims will be a surprise in my main build thread

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Any front hub is merely a holder for bearings.

Made to a known level of quality themselves, they all work flawlessly.

They only reason to spend more than the $100 Cannondale charges, is if you want bling, in which case, the P321 with it's sexy matching cap, is hard to beat.

Woodman offers 36 hole for the big boys, (Cannondale has 32, 28 and 24 covered) otherwise, it's not any better either...

As for DT Swiss, cool that they joined the fray, but see my initial thought.

I9, used with their alloy spokes? Cool wheels, and sexy, but no "better" front hub performance, just nice stiff wheels due to their proprietary spokes. Ditto for Mavic CrossMax.
    Thank you! I guess that more or less settles it for me and reassures me that what I went with was a good decision.

I was getting a Cannondale front from ebay, but the P321 popped up with all the associated bits and ended up being the same price as the Cannondale after shipping.
    So a little extra bling and a smudge of added weight isn't too bad of a tradeoff.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ive got the P321's on my 2012 scalpel 2 and love them. I have the stock cannondale lefty on my 2013 flash 2 and like it as well. Its all about bling as other have said.

For the rear I like the p321 better than the dirty flea but no complaints on the dirty flea they hold up well.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    If weight is your priority, it is hard to beat the DT's, or if you have lots of money, the Kappius. (Or is that Kappii?)

If stiffness is your goal, then you want the most massive flange and shell diameter you can get. P321 pretty hard to beat, and not unreasonably heavy either. I9 good next choice.

RBR

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was thinking of the TUNE Cannonball hub for the front and their Kong
    for the rear, but I am waiting on a quote from Strada wheels here in the UK
    to build these with BOR 333 rims!

Does anyone have a recommendation for new bearings for the standard cannondale
    lefty hub? Mine has grit inside the larger bearing, its squeeking away and driving me
    mad!!

ballbuster
    I bought one of those Circus Monkey Lefty hubs off fleabay for $60 landed. It's been fine. The bearings are starting to get the slightest bit not buttery smooth, but new bearings are cheap.

I got some chinese made ABEC3 bearings off fleabay a while back for my Hope hubs... a 10 pack was like $18 shipped. Lifetime supply! They actually spin smoother with less resistance than the stock bearings.

It's easy to find replacements. You just have to get the right size. They all use standard off the shelf sized bearings.

I just wish the Circus Monkey hub came in sliver.