mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Difference between Scalpel and HT?

Has anyone been riding Scalpel and Cannondale hardtails with the same size?
    What's the difference in handling? Does the Scalpel feel longer or just the same? Is the hardtails easier on tricky parts or maybe not? Is the step from hardtail to Scalpel maybe....revolutionary?

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    It's been a long time since I've ridden a C-dale hardtail, probably back around 2000. I was not at all fond of that era of headshock and didn't much care for the bike. I've been riding a Scalpel for 2 years now and feel it's one of the best kept secrets in mountain biking. It somehow manages to be both super stable and have razor sharp handling. IMO the extra stability plus the 2.7" of rear travel make the Scalpel much better in the "tircky parts" - ie. technical terrain. Demo one if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by fullrulle
    Has anyone been riding Scalpel and Cannondale hardtails with the same size?
    What's the difference in handling? Does the Scalpel feel longer or just the same? Is the hardtails easier on tricky parts or maybe not? Is the step from hardtail to Scalpel maybe....revolutionary?
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

just ride
    I race the 2004 race season on a large Scapel Team and a Large F3000 ('03). The main diffence I feel is the high speed stability is better on the Scalpel. When it comes to tight singletrack over varied terrain (rocks, roots and short leg burning climbs) the F3000 is a speed demon. It just seems to more nimble in the woods. When racing in 24hr events or marathon (50+ mile events) the Scalpel is a little more compfortable.

Both bike are fast, and if I had to chose one I would buy the Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I own both 2001(first yr) scalpel 2000 with ultra and 2003 f3000 with carbon lefty. my opinion is opposite of others. I think the first yr scalpel's handling is flawed. it's too twitchy and not as stable as my hardtail and both bikes have same tires. I just have much more confidence in the front end with the HT going through high speed turns. the front end of scalpel wants to push or plow through turns. the lefty carbon elo fork is superior to the ultra though. but I noticed that Cdale changed the geometry of the scalpel after the first yr so maybe it handles differently now.

let me say this. after riding 5 different FS bikes at Pedros festival I went back home and rode my scalpel and the next day said screw this and bought an Intense spyder frame. it weighs more and the bushings will probably be more of a problem than the scalpel, trouble free, but the ride is superior. I'd like to try a newer scalpel to see if I can feel a difference compared to mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Scalpel over F800sl

I asked this question at the beginning of summer.
    I have now bought a Scalpel 900 and sold my F800sl hardtail.
    I don't think I'll ever look back. This bike is incredible! Weight is maybe i kilo more but it handles much better. The F800sl was jumping around and I never got any real controll of it when then roots started to appear at high speed. It was light, handled good in slow tricky parts and nice otherwhise, but the Scalpel feels the same in tricky parts but much better when it comes to climbing and going really fast. The small travel on the rear makes it feel like a hardtail but comfy enough for bumpy trails.
    But you should consider if you want to by the bike; this one is for blasting down the trail! If you want to go slow...buy something else.
    I love this bike! Cannondale should get the Nobel Prize ; -)

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    I own both 2001(first yr) scalpel 2000 with ultra and 2003 f3000 with carbon lefty. my opinion is opposite of others. I think the first yr scalpel's handling is flawed. it's too twitchy and not as stable as my hardtail and both bikes have same tires. I just have much more confidence in the front end with the HT going through high speed turns. the front end of scalpel wants to push or plow through turns. the lefty carbon elo fork is superior to the ultra though. but I noticed that Cdale changed the geometry of the scalpel after the first yr so maybe it handles differently now.

let me say this. after riding 5 different FS bikes at Pedros festival I went back home and rode my scalpel and the next day said screw this and bought an Intense spyder frame. it weighs more and the bushings will probably be more of a problem than the scalpel, trouble free, but the ride is superior. I'd like to try a newer scalpel to see if I can feel a difference compared to mine.
    Just to clarify my earlier post, my Scalpel is an '04 Team w/ a Carbon Lefty DLR (elo's are unreliable) and the F3000 ('03) is set up exactly the same (Kenda Karma DTC w/ Stans, 2x9 SRAM OX, etc). The F3000 is more nimble, you can drive the front wheel into corners w/o brushing off as much speed as you do with the Scalpel, and the rear-end is pretty compliant, BUT long days in the saddle feel better on a scalpel. I agree w/ dang's statement regarding the geometry of the first year edition, but the new models feel alot better, especially w/ a carbon lefty.

fullrule: Glad you bought the bike you like, no matter what we all say, its up to what feels good to you!