mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Did you pitch your SAVE seatpost?

Seen a few for sale and wondered why a rider would opt not to keep it. From all reports the SAVE post adds a fair amount of comfort in a reliable seatpost with a good clamp.

mtbr member
    Stock it won't accept a carbon railed saddle and I also had to apply plenty of carbogrip to the clamping surfaces to get it to stay in place.

I kept it while I had the bike but I wouldn't use one again.

LA CHÈVRE
    I think in most cases, it's the high weight that makes people take them off, especially on such light frames. But USE clamps are not the most liked either.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I agree that most people probably get rid of them because they are not the lightest, but the new use clamps are way better than the old ones. I used one for a while on my flash 26 and thought that it was really a great post. Very noticeable flex in a good way. No slippage at all torqued to spec. I can only speak for the one with the bigger clamps for the carbon rail saddles though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mine slips all the time I could replace it and it wouldn't bother me. If I were to use the USE clamps would that solve the problem ???

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamountianbiker View Post
    Mine slips all the time I could replace it and it wouldn't bother me. If I were to use the USE clamps would that solve the problem ???
    The seatpost's shaft slips down into the frame or the saddle clamp slips?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Whether or not the SAVE post is worth it to you is really determined on your style of riding a hardtail. There is no doubt that staying seated is advantageous keeping center of gravity low and weight even, also giving you better traction and confidence.

Riding a full suspension bike, you tend to stay seated more and are able to reap the benefits of the position. Riding hardtails is a different style altogether. The true benefit of the SAVE post is that it allows you to stay seated over a lot of terrain that a normal post would force you to stand because of discomfort. If you have the chance to demo or ride a SAVE post, do it. Or if you are one of those that have a SAVE post and are wondering what to do...next time you hit the trails, try to seated a lot more and see how it feels. I think you'll understand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    it's the USE saddle clamp that slips, and that's the flaw in it's design. if as trauma-md says, staying seated is your style of riding then this post would be an asset - if it wasn't for the saddle clamp! i used to think it was quite a good design but i was wrong - it is TERRIBLE. thankfully it's been changed for 2012 though right?

i now have and i am very happy with a fizik cyrano carbon seat post with much better clamp, and a certain amount of flex - as i think you tend to get from 27.2 carbon posts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It can slip, I've managed to get mine to work ok but I'm fearful of ever tinkering with it. I have a alloy fizik cyrano which I take in my car as a back up. If I didn't have one already I wouldn't buy it, which is a shame because I do think the SAVE system works. Not sure why C'dale used USE clamps, I've broken every item I have owned by that manufacturer. The seat post is not supposed to save you over the really rough stuff, because you won't be sitting down, I think its designed to take the edge of when you are in the saddle to general save energy. I think the SAVE system is probably better for road bikes, it was awesome on my C'dale slice which I sold.

Another example of where we are puzzled over odd C'dales choice of build kit on its awesome frame sets......

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake View Post
    it's the USE saddle clamp that slips, and that's the flaw in it's design. if as trauma-md says, staying seated is your style of riding then this post would be an asset - if it wasn't for the saddle clamp! i used to think it was quite a good design but i was wrong - it is TERRIBLE. thankfully it's been changed for 2012 though right?
    From the pics of the 2012s the clamp appears to be changed (larger).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

none

This is a page from the 2012 Synapse Carbon owner's supplement depicting the seatpost and head
    Last edited by Maximus Excellente; 11-21-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: corrected

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Stock it won't accept a carbon railed saddle and I also had to apply plenty of carbogrip to the clamping surfaces to get it to stay in place.

I kept it while I had the bike but I wouldn't use one again.
    you can change the hardware ... USE has many types for every saddle