mtbr member
    May 2009

Did the Prophet frame shrink in 2007??

Hi guys. I have owned a Prophet 4 since 2007 bought new in the uk, the raw metal finish version around 1200. It was bought as a medium, i'm 5'10 and suited me fine. The frame is stickered as a Medium, receipt from UK dealer states Medium and the Warranty card confirms this.

However, I have just sold the frame on ebay to a buyer in Germany and he has raised some issues with me. The frame does not match to the Cannondale 2007 website sizes and it is clear from photo's that the front strengthening triangle looks alot more compressed than other Medium Prophet frames i can view on ebay and that the buyer previously owned. I never measured the frame, why would i need to as it suited me fine, however the seller is saying its too short with an effective top tube of 530-540mm instead of the supposed 600

He has relisted the item in Germany as I was 100% honest in my listing (i hope you all agree) however this has intriged me!!

Any ideas???
    Last edited by dave@ag; 08-16-2010 at 01:39 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    didnt cdale have a tweaked mx or z version that was built up stronger and had a 12mm rear thru axle?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Think they did but mine was just a standard prophet 4. Has anyone else ever had problems with canondale sizes? I have pictures if anyone wants to look at what i mean?! Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dave@ag
    Think they did but mine was just a standard prophet 4. Has anyone else ever had problems with canondale sizes? I have pictures if anyone wants to look at what i mean?! Thanks
    And didn't have a 12mm axle,just standard 9mm

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Humm, strange to say the least if it was a std model.

I can think maybe the buyer is measuring wrong.

Or, Cdale mismarked a frame. I don't really think it was that.

So you still have the serial number? You could ask your LBS to get the frame data from Cdale. The listed measurement from your buyer seems like a small size frame
    Last edited by ziscwg; 08-17-2010 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    From looking at pictures of my frame compared to other Medium sized Prophets on ebay i can clearly see that the front triangle is way smaller on mine than the others i find.

Off to my LBS tommorow to quiz them, i think its been mis labelled, mis warrantied and mis sold as a medium and its actually a small. But at 5'10, would it not be 'too' small???

Will check the warranty info against what they can find out.

mtbr member
    They all have the same geo even the MX (HT angle changes with longer fork is all)

There is actual (A) top tube and effective (E) top tube... my blue and green lines are exactly the same size, see how the effective would be longer depending on seat hight?

Oh and maybe let the buyer know when measuring to go from the center of the tubes NOT the sides.... and lastly I have a friend that is a carpenter and he tells me I would be shocked to know how many people cant measure a flat surface... bet curvy bike tubes really confuse people

When I sell I let people return stuff if they want, but in this case I could not eat the shipping costs of a bike....

Could be the wrong size printed on it but I hope you can explain how to measure there Prophet or I bet they will just end up with another "mislabeled" one.... post a picture, I have a small and medium here + used to have a large and can tell by looking at the angle of the top tube

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks, the measurements he has taken are the effective top tube which comes in at (he says and picture sent confirms) 530mm ish. Certainly not the 600mm and the actual must surely be the same if not shorter. He has measured centre to centre and if you look at the pictures attached, mine is the raw silver finish version (frame only picture), the other two are Medium's previously on ebay, see the difference in front triangle???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did the Prophet frame shrink in 2007??-14_cannondaleprophet_2008%5B1%5D.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Wow, it is a small, the triangle space the tubes make just behind the head tube is tiny like our small one.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I certainly do see a difference there. If it's truely marked a M, it should looked at by cannondale.

Are you the original owner? (to OP)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yep i'm the one and only owner since new. Bought from an official UK Cannondale dealer Chevin Cycles in 2007, you think i should quiz them and Cannondale. I'd like to offer some compensation to the buyer on ebay if it doesn't sell for as much but guessing the shop won't accept this??

mtbr member
    I know it was not done on purpose (I sold my large without measuring) and CDale actually made the real mistake but I would think you would need to take it back or cover the buyers loss... you listed a medium and delivered a small.

so strange, I would have bet any amount of money the buyer just measured differently or something.

Yep i'm the one and only owner since new. Bought from an official UK Cannondale dealer Chevin Cycles in 2007, you think i should quiz them and Cannondale. I'd like to offer some compensation to the buyer on ebay if it doesn't sell for as much but guessing the shop won't accept this??

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm not sure really, I bought a medium (receipt proves), rode a medium (bike original stickers say so) and had the warranty for medium (Cannondale original Warranty card supplied to seller), so in theory i have sold a medium. BUT, as you point out, it sounds so so strange that they could have balls-ed up such a thing, but evidence suggests they did. Even if the buyer was mis-measureing, do the photo's prove to you all that it is not a medium in size (no matter what all other things say!!)

mtbr member
    I have a small frame and a medium complete bike and looking at those tells me the one you sold is a small (the size "hole" made where the tubes cross just behind the head tube looks to me like a small)

I can see why it fit you, they seem bigger than most bikes... I rode a Large Prophet and every other bike I have/had is an XL

I'm not sure really, I bought a medium (receipt proves), rode a medium (bike original stickers say so) and had the warranty for medium (Cannondale original Warranty card supplied to seller), so in theory i have sold a medium. BUT, as you point out, it sounds so so strange that they could have balls-ed up such a thing, but evidence suggests they did. Even if the buyer was mis-measureing, do the photo's prove to you all that it is not a medium in size (no matter what all other things say!!)

mtbr member
    BUT, as you point out, it sounds so so strange that they could have balls-ed up such a thing, but evidence suggests they did.
    It does happen. When I worked at the LBS we ordered in a M C'dale hybrid bike. Box said M, frame said M, warranty card said M....just as yours did.

When it arrived and we measured it the frame was definitely a Small.

We ate the cost of the bike and ordered the customer another bike (at a discounted price) for the inconvenience.

However, in your situation which is 3 years since you bought the bike, I don't think the LBS in question has any culpability for the mistake now. At the time of sale "Yes" but not after such a long time.

This was my Prophet, a Small frame. Looks the same as your Medium.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I wonder if you can get it back from the buyer if cdale with replace it? buyer would be out nothing, you could resell a brand NEW frame for more. sounds like win win if cdale is replacing the frame because they messed up.