I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Did I Make A Big Mistake?

I just got my new XTR crankset today in the mail.......and realized I got the 170mm cranks. Other than being 168 grams lighter than my existing 175mm ones- does a quarter-inch(5mm) of less pedaling leverage make me slower? Will the reduced rotating mass compensate the shortened crankarm length? Or, is the difference barely noticeable? I wanna try them first- because they are crazy light. Please help.....before I put these on!!!
    Last edited by Zachariah; 07-28-2008 at 12:15 PM.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    I just got my new XTR crankset today in the mail.......and realized I got the 170mm cranks. Other than being 168 grams lighter than my existing 175mm ones- does a quarter-inch(5mm) of less pedaling leverage make me slower? Will the reduced rotating mass compensate the shortened crankarm length? Or, is the difference barely noticeable? I wanna try them first- because they are crazy light. Please help.....before I put these on!!!
    I personally rank comfort over light weight, and I'm a wanna be weight weenie. I would only keep the 170mm cranks if 170mm was the correct length for me.

Roughly if your inseam is 32" or slightly less 170mm is probably great for you. If your legs are longer you might consider staying with 175's.

However you can also factor in what kind of pedaling you do.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Unless you are a short guy Zach, I'd definately send them back.... I think it will drive you crazy if you are used to the 175's..... My Wife's bike has 170's,.. I've pedalled it around the yard and it just felt cramped.... Leg RPMs seem too high. You're a cross-country guy on a hard-tail right?? I think it would be worth your while to get the 175's.