Poser

DHX Air on my Prophet/Extra travel!

Today was a wonderful day...my DHX air came in from Larry at MHC. To my surprise, I was able to even get it on the bike and get 7 miles in on it tonight before it got dark. My real bushings don't come until monday, but I devised a super secret method to get me through.

I'll sum up my experience with the phrase "It's an entirely new bike". That would be hyberbole to some, but the rear end on my Prophet went from bad (the stock radium) to so-so (coil 3-way), to awesome. Part of my problem was that while I could get the right sag on the Swinger, the spring rate was always way too harsh...small bumps were better on the Radium. The DHX is plush plush plush. But controlled. I've never ridden anything like it.

Also, I got the 7.875x2.25 size for the DHX, and from what I can tell, there's nothing that's going to get messed up from the extra quarter inch of stroke. I'll leave to somebody else to figure out just how much extra travel I'm getting. I haven't measured, but I have some ideas. It's more than 6 inches, whatever it is.

Anyway, it definitely took my bike to the next level. Not missing that Swinger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    looks killer dude

mtbr member
    Where's your Rohlof?
    BTW I'm waiting for PUSHED RP3 from Larry, can't wait.

aka baycat
    I am guessing that is the P600, what kind of Avid Juicy's are you running on it? Unless I am wrong...

BTW, sick setup now with the DHX air

Poser
    Sold the Rohloff. I liked it tons, but it was heavy and noisy. I bought it based on my hate for derailluers born in the early 90's...then found out things have come a long way. I'm enjoying the proceeds from the sale much better!

Those are Juicy 7's. The bike for all practical purposes now is a 1000, but with a a few select upgrades (carbon bars, DHX).

I did the math on the extra travel, it comes out to 159mm. I'd invite and appreciate any notes/correction on that though...I'm not sure if the extreme falling rate on the last part of the stroke makes a difference or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey direktor!

Your idea of putting a longer stroke shock sounds great. I am very interested in making the same thing to my Prophet – if it worked. Well, I took the rear shock away, installed the shock mounting bolts on (the swingarm bolt was on the FR geometry setting hole) and measured the distance between shock mounting bolt centers, when my friend was keeping the rear tire lightly touch the front triangle. The bike was sideways on the floor. If we were keeping it upright, the rear tire would have compressed when touching the front end because of the front end weight and this would have given us too small (read: too optimistic) measurement values. Then we changed roles and as a result he got the same value as I. Okay, the distance was 147 mm. If it were possible that the rear tire would touch the frame during riding, the real distance would be at least this high. My rear tire is Nokian NBX 2.3” Kevlar and my rear rim is Sun Singletrack.

FOX DHX Air 7.875” = 200.0 mm eye-to-eye length model is available with two different strokes: a 2.0” = 50.8 mm stroke and a 2.25” = 57.2 mm. When the 2.0”-stroke model bottoms out, the i2i distance is 200.0 – 50.8 = 149.2 mm. And when the 2.25” is fully compressed, the eye-to-eye length is 200.0 – 57.2 = 142.8 mm.

Okay, let’s go ahead. The eye-to-eye length of the shock when it is bottoming out must be bigger than the distance between shock mounting bolts when the rear tire touches the frame. And, as you can see, the 2.0”-stroke model value is just a little bit bigger. But the 2.25”-stroke model value is over 4 mm too small. This tells me, that a 2.25” stroke shock will not work in a Prophet when it is in the FR geometry setting.

My measurements were made in the FR setting only. The 2.25”-stroke shock might work just fine in the XC geometry setting. But if you had this much travel with your Prophet (6.3” = 160.0 mm) would you like to keep it in the XC setting? I would not. To me a Prophet with 160 mm travel is like a very long-travel trailbike that can and perhaps even should be ridden hard. And, of course there are differencies in tires and rims, and with a more xc-oriented tires there might be more room for a shock to bottom out. But again, I would not keep anything xc-ish but heavy trail or light freeride tires with this much travel. Just in case you Americans don’t know well these Finnish super tires, this Nokian NBX 2.3” I am using in the rear is not especially high.

I am sorry to write this and I really hope that I am wrong. A Prophet with 160 mm travel sounds so good. I would not wonder, if there might be a Prophet or a upgraded model with a 160 mm travel intended for trail riding and light freeride in the future.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

Poser
    After a few rides, I've noticed when bottoming that the tire does make contact with the seatpost in FR mode.

However, after taking all the air out of the DHX and testing the full travel, I noticed that the tire knobs only interfere with the post by about 1/8th of an inch...just enough to leave a mark on the paint but not nearly enough to stop the tire from turning. This is with a Specialiced Roller Pro 2.4, btw.

Yeah, I know it's risky and whatnot, but I hardly EVER bottom (I only did the once because I was still getting my preload setup). I figure I'll be alright because I'm just not that hard on bikes. If I'm wrong....oh well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    darn!

Anyway... Prophet still gets 150+ of travel via 2 inch stroke shock according to several sources. Its still interesting that the longer stroke option is safe in the XC setting.... some people ride longer forks than the leftys (prophet mx model for instance), which make the head angle in the XC position spot on.

Could you tell me more about DHX performance. how does it feel like on big hits and how progressive can it get adjusted?

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar82
    Could you tell me more about DHX performance. how does it feel like on big hits and how progressive can it get adjusted?
    It's superior to anything I've ever tried, which includes:

Manitou Radium
    Swinger 3-Way Coil
    Fox Float 2002
    Fox Float 2005
    Fox RP3

I don't know about the progressive part, because I haven't had reason to change it from how it came (on the second marker). In general, the thing is super plush, very responsive to small stuff at speed, and especially good with harsh hits at speed.

The only thing that I might guess that could be better is a DHX coil. But even then...it's firmly my opinion that Fox is entering a new area of air shock performance. Wish they could do it with forks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There is not a big difference in riding position with Lefty Max or, for instance, with Sherman Breakout. Breakout is just 5 or 10 mm (=0.2" or 0.4", I don't remember which) higher than Lefty Max when measured from front axle center to head tube lower point. I like more the FR setting even though I have a longer travel fork than Lefty Max, because the riding position is better. I would definitely choose a 5.5" travel Prophet with FR geometry over a 6.3" Prophet with XC geometry, but it's my opinion. If someone likes putting the extra travel and keeping it in the XC setting, go on!

Direktor's DHX review is very promising and I might buy a 2" stroke version if only I could buy one at a reasonable price here in Europe...

EDIT: The abovementioned does not mean I know exactly that a 7.875" x 2.25" shock works at least in the XC setting. I don't. If you want to be absolutely sure, just measure. But the lifetime warranty of the frame will likely be lost with a 2.25" stroke shock...
    Last edited by caizu; 08-23-2005 at 04:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Prophet running a Fox 36 set in the FR geometry for instance makes the head angle to slack for all-mountain use (Id say its even to slack for downhills) but in the XC mode it turns up to be around 68 degrees which is quite nice.(Look at the photos of the prophet mx1-its set in the XC mode). With a higher bottom bracket and the possibility of 160mm travel its definately worth a try (assuming the longer stroke doesnt cause any problems in the XC position).

Regarding the DHX air I would really like to hear some comparison with its coiled stablemate DHX 5.0. Since I think the weight difference of 500 grams and "adjustable spring rate" barely make up for the 100eu price difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't know the height of the Fox 36 so I cannot honestly compare it to Breakout. But if the ride height is same or smaller or just a little bit higher, it might work very well in the FR setting. I checked at 2006 MX1 riding position from pictures (Look: http://www.rijwielpaleis.nl/cannondale2006/enduro.pdf) and yes it looks a bit like a short travel freerider, but mine looks about the same. IMHO it should be fine even in the FR setting in technical terrain or in light freeride. But Bad Ronald can probably tell us more about the riding position because he has a Prophet with Fox 36.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I run my prophet in the XC position. It gives more pedal clearance over the rocks (Northeast riding) and it is less floppy. I would consider switching for some lift service runs to see the difference, however I am really happy with the way it feels now. My 36 was *****ed up from the start though so the riding was terrible until I dismantled it and rebuilt it. The damper was cocked about 5 mm off center so it slowed both compression and rebound so much I was getting pitched all over the trail. I crashed pretty hard and took a solid chunk out of my shin. Since the rebuild the ride has been fantastic. It is definately a good fork if it is dialed in.

-Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Okay, I got the DHX Air too. I have the 2.0" stroke version. I have just one ride behind so it is not adjusted yet spot on, but here are some of my thoughts about it.

First I wanna say that it's just a shock. It does not change your bike into a Porsche Cayenne (although it makes me feel a bit like I had one) or make the singlepivot to a VPP. But, does it have to? If you can live with the properties of singlepivots, well designed ones like Prophet can be truly great bikes. That does not mean they could not be better but that is an entirely different story.

But the shock. By now I have ridden with Swinger 4-Way Coil '05. The DHX Air does not ride like it. It rides better. The difference is not huge, at least with my current settings, but it is clear. I noticed the biggest improvement in downhills. The bike was faster. My front end has been smoother than the rear when I had that Swinger. Now it is the opposite. The rebound was kind of weird, it did not kick back when the rebound was fast or then it pushed just a little bit. It was not broken, the rebound adjustment really worked but there was not same kicking back as with my Swinger. With Swinger when the rebound was just one click away from the optimum to the fast I noticed the kicking back. Now it could be way too fast and the kicking back was quite a small. Weird. So, I like the shock and it also took 443 grams away from the weight of my bike. It seems to be a good investment.

It would be very interesting if other DHX Air users on Prophet would like to share their adjustments.
    Last edited by caizu; 09-20-2005 at 12:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Second ride behind. I adjusted the rebound in the parking lot to correspond to the fork rebound before my ride. I have the Bottom Out adjuster fully in and minimum pressures in the Boost Valve right now. This because I want very plush ride and enough progressivity for big hits and drops. But I have to add some pressure to Boost Valve, because the shock bottoms out too easily right now. Did I mention the ability to tune the Propedal? Perhaps I should study a Degree for Suspension Tuning

Poser
    If you have the bottom out sleeve fully in, and you're STILL bottoming out, then you need more preload.

Pro-pedal will help a little with that, but not a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by caizu
    With Swinger when the rebound was just one click away from the optimum to the fast I noticed the kicking back. Now it could be way too fast and the kicking back was quite a small. Weird. .
    I noticed the exact same thing going from a swinger 4way coil to a float R on my Gemini frame(custom build). The fox is a way better ride IMO wich seems strange but maybe I just have a tendancy to like the feel of air shocks better

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It all sounds good, and may I add that my 5th Element Air, was possibly the best upgrade I could have made, plush plush plush, but what a fantastic platform. Less user tunabililty, but it makes up for it by being so close to right in the first place. Just my 2 cents, Happy tuning!

zhu
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

More input on the dhx air

Hello guys, just joined the forum for this very topic
    I have a prophet with a 2.25 DHX air on it and have been happily riding it for about a month now. I tried experimenting with the settings quite a bit and found that the best all-round trail seting is bottom out all the way open (max volume) and about 180 psi in the boost valve.. I think this counters the regressive shock mounting on the prophet nicely. I still bottom out the shock though, not on drops but rather in long compressions on the trails, i.e. going from steep terrain into flat. Anybody have any solutions for that? i tried screwing the bottom out adjuster (pun intended) in but it just makes the ride rougher and it still bottoms out. Anybody know anythimg about whether the dhx has some internal valving settings that could counter that?

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Some more rides behind...

I had a 25 % sag on the rear shock at first. This is what both Fox and Cannondale recommend. I have had the bottom out adjuster fully in. Then I put some more air into the main air chamber but it still bottoms out too easily. I have 100 psi in the Boost valve giving me very plush ride and still being efficient enough. The shock works very well except that bottom out thing. I might try it with some more air in the main chamber but just a little bit more.

My rear wheel has been rebuilt, too. I still have that Hadley hub but the spokes are Sapim CX-Rays, nipples are Sapim aluminium self-securing ones and the rim is new Singletrack (old one had a dent). 80 grams away

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I rode a Prophet MX at a demo and got the low down from one of their own. Cannondale works with various shock company's to match the shock to bike. This is why some of you are having issues with bottom out. The stock version of the DHX Air is too linear. Fox makes a version for Cannondale that ramps up a little more at the end of the stroke by using a smaller volume for the main spring.

mtbr member
    Any word on wether those available for non-OEM purchase?

Are you talking to me?

Purchase what?

Quote Originally Posted by pin-it
    Any word on wether those available for non-OEM purchase?
    What are you asking? Nevermind, I went back.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I contacted to Fox and to my importer about the bottom out thing. The importer got an email from Fox and here is the message he forwarded to me:

"The compression ratio on the Prophet shock is
    >3.4:1 and on the aftermarket shock it is 2.7:1.
    >
    >What would need to be done is advise the
    >customer to add 10cc of oil into the air sleeve
    >chamber at a time until the ending air ramp is
    >tuned to his liking. Explain to him that
    >adding oil is reducing the air volume
    >... working on the same principal as the AVA system"

During a phone conversation the importer also told something like that that Fox had told him that the Prophet MX1's DHX Air shock has smaller RP3's air sleeve chamber to make it more progressive.

I don't like the idea of adding oil to the air sleeve chamber. It's a mess everytime you make an air sleeve chamber service (which can be done by customer). Not only the oil spreading but also you must be very very careful of the amount of oil you put in there. Not a proper way a shock should be tuned by customer.

mtbr member
    I agree with your reasoning, it's far better to change the volume of a chamber by decreasing the size of the chamber than filling it with stuff. My question was wether fox would be able to sell an OEM prophet shock as a retail shock to a bike shop.

I contacted to Fox and to my importer about the bottom out thing. The importer got an email from Fox and here is the message he forwarded to me:

>

During a phone conversation the importer also told something like that that Fox had told him that the Prophet MX1's DHX Air shock has smaller RP3's air sleeve chamber to make it more progressive.

I don't like the idea of adding oil to the air sleeve chamber. It's a mess everytime you make an air sleeve chamber service (which can be done by customer). Not only the oil spreading but also you must be very very careful of the amount of oil you put in there. Not a proper way a shock should be tuned by customer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    - You guy's could always have Push Industries re-valve your shocks if Fox won't supply a specific shock for your needs....

Are you talking to me?

I would have to see that in writing.

>

THere is no way that I would do that to a shock covered under warranty without written instructions form Fox, an Fox letterhead.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have seen so much good reviews of PUSH I'd be very interested in trying their tuning but they don't seem to sell overseas. Well, there are anyway Tim Flooks and Mojo Suspension Hoodoo in GB, the former doing DHX Air tuning later on and the latter might be doing it already at the moment. I discuss with my importer anyway because in this case adding oil is not a solution a responsible company would offer to its customers.

Are you talking to me?

TF and PUSH are working together.

I have seen so much good reviews of PUSH I'd be very interested in trying their tuning but they don't seem to sell overseas. Well, there are anyway Tim Flooks and Mojo Suspension Hoodoo in GB, the former doing DHX Air tuning later on and the latter might be doing it already at the moment. I discuss with my importer anyway because in this case adding oil is not a solution a responsible company would offer to its customers.

You can have a PUSH upgrade done throught TF at this time. THey are set up to re-work shocks and forks.

www.tftunedshox.com

Here is the link to the TF/PUSH setup.
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/push/index.htm
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I got an email from TF Tuned at 13 Oct, 2005 telling that:

"We do not do dhx air shocks yet. We are awaiting Push internals and parts for these, we expect prototype testing will be done by Christmas, production thereafter."

But at the moment there is told in their website that:

" DHX Coil - Rear Shocks
    Currently we do not service DHX coils but will be offering PUSH tuning & service from Dec '06"

So I don't really know are they doing any DHX Airs right now or not. Hopefully they get this soon worked out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I discussed with my Fox importer today. I told him I did not feel that adding oil would be a very good idea. He was helpful and told me there might be some changes in damping, not only the different air sleeve chamber in the Prophet MX1's DHX Air. After a short discussion he suggested me that he would shim the compession damping more progressive and add also a bottom out bumber. He would make this tuning at a very reasonable price. He also suggested me this tuning instead of changing that air sleeve chamber, but changing of it would be next in order if this would not help. I know this is trial-and-error but would TF (if its tuning is available) or Mojo get my shock spot-on at first time?

mtbr member
    Well that's no good. For those of you who've used a stock DHX air on your prophet, would you buy one again assuming you know what you know now?
    Last edited by pin-it; 12-08-2005 at 07:02 PM.

zhu
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As for me, the regressive suspension is not that huge a problem since i'm quite light and smooth on the bike. I would still buy it, because it's still the bike i feel answers the most of my demands.
    As for the solution with filling the air canister with oil, another renowned shock tuner i emailed about the issue told me to try packing the air canister with grease. It would be less of a mess than oil, but it still seems a bit far fetched. Any comments on the grease solution? I think the best solution would be to fabricate some kind of bracket on the bike which would lower the front shock mount and make the frame more linear. A friend of mine has made one out of carbon fiber and says it transformed the bike. I have yet to try it as its winter here and about 2ft of soggy snow.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind me asking, what's your weight/style, and what's your prophet setup like?

zhu
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My prophet's a large 4x frame, aftermarket dhx air 2.25 in the rear, fox 36 front, hayes brakes, ringle hubs on mavic 521s and sram drivetrain. I weigh about 73kgs and mostly ride rocky and root infested singletrack with as much air as possible as well as the ocassional shuttle mission and bikeparks.
    Another thing about the prophet's suspension geometry.. it appears that the bigger the frame, the more falling rate the suspension gets as all sizes have the same shock mount on the swingarm and the mount on the mainframe is varies in height from the smaller frames to the bigger ones. So in fact sizes S and M are the least falling rate while XL's almost ridiculous. Not the best of solutions in my opinion.

Are you talking to me?

bump.

This is being asked about again.

BUMP>
    gfy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So I just ordered a 2.25" stroke DHX Coil for my Prophet 1MX and if I did the math right, every 1mm of shock stroke = 2.7559mm of travel (140/50.8=2.7559). So with a 2.25" stroke shock (57.15mm) you would end up with 157.5mm of travel or 6.2".

I also did the measurments and found that with it set in FR position it will most likely not work since it will rub a little (maybe ok rubbing but prob not). But it will work fine in the XC position which is what I use anyways since the FR is way to slack for trail riding and I don't use the 1MX for downhill (thats what the Gemini is for). When I get the shock I'll remove the coil and test it in both positions and let you know what I come up with.

Tom

Are you talking to me?

Right on.

Give it a try, anyways. Be sure to check for clearance while bottomed out closely, as there has been some discussion on this already.

Good Luck.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Church
    So I just ordered a 2.25" stroke DHX Coil for my Prophet 1MX and if I did the math right, every 1mm of shock stroke = 2.7559mm of travel (140/50.8=2.7559). So with a 2.25" stroke shock (57.15mm) you would end up with 157.5mm of travel or 6.2".

I also did the measurments and found that with it set in FR position it will most likely not work since it will rub a little (maybe ok rubbing but prob not). But it will work fine in the XC position which is what I use anyways since the FR is way to slack for trail riding and I don't use the 1MX for downhill (thats what the Gemini is for). When I get the shock I'll remove the coil and test it in both positions and let you know what I come up with.

Tom
    so.....what happend?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Shock is still backordered...should be in this week.

mtbr member
    darn!

Anyway... Prophet still gets 150+ of travel via 2 inch stroke shock according to several sources. Its still interesting that the longer stroke option is safe in the XC setting.... some people ride longer forks than the leftys (prophet mx model for instance), which make the head angle in the XC position spot on.
    i know that post is from a while back, but is that true? more than 150 even though it's listed at 140. Im just wondering, because not sure if buying a prophet was the right decision. it hasn't arrived yet, but i still dont know. i ordered a 66sl and 4way air with the frame, because i want to use it for freeriding, and not have to pedal 40lbs around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PblcNme
    i know that post is from a while back, but is that true? more than 150 even though it's listed at 140. Im just wondering, because not sure if buying a prophet was the right decision. it hasn't arrived yet, but i still dont know. i ordered a 66sl and 4way air with the frame, because i want to use it for freeriding, and not have to pedal 40lbs around.
    Havent done the measurements myself but it was said so by two sources and a friend of mine (Zhu) did the measurements and its well above 140mm. Freeriding? ...If youre going for the 4x frame some light freeriding shouldnt be a problem (i think 66 is too high for the regular frame anyway). Its not so much in the rear travel as in the way bike is designed and my guess is that a 4x prophet frame shouldnt have any problems with some light freeriding.

mtbr member
    Havent done the measurements myself but it was said so by two sources and a friend of mine (Zhu) did the measurements and its well above 140mm. Freeriding? ...If youre going for the 4x frame some light freeriding shouldnt be a problem (i think 66 is too high for the regular frame anyway). Its not so much in the rear travel as in the way bike is designed and my guess is that a 4x prophet frame shouldnt have any problems with some light freeriding.
    even the regular prophet is fine for freeride. i have a friend who had a prophet with a sherman tpc 170. he took it off of 16 ft. drops(not to flat!) regularly without problems.

Cedric rode his prophet with a 66 in the red bull district ride, and i asked cannondale about the warranty, they said it wouldn't be a problem. As you know the prophet has an adjustable geometry which can help with the height of the 66, although they lowered it tremendously from 05 to 06.

mtbr member
    does the size of the frame make difference if i were to use a 2.25 stroke? i ordered an XL frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fox has all its good stuff backordered so I am out of luck for now...they are saying it may be a week or 2 before it comes in...blah...

Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think I am anyway going to try adding some oil into the air sleeve chamber. According to Fox: "We adjust air volumes all the time at the races by adding oil". It affects just the bottom out sensitivity, not the entire compression damping characteristics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So I got my bike ( DHX Air on my Prophet/Extra travel! ) and we put the DHX coil with the 2.25" stroke on it. We took off the spring and bottomed the shock out in the XC mode and the rear tire didn't come anywhere near the seatpost. 3/4" of space or so. For some reason it dosen't want to slide into the FR mode it is a real tight fir for the spacers for some reason...but I don't care the XC mode is plenty raked with the 36 up front. I'll play around on it in the woods this weekend and I'll see if it hits on some harder stuff (shouldn't though). Tires are Maxxis Ignitor 2.35's.

Tom

zhu
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Air volumes?

Does anybody know the volumes of RP3 and dhx air shocks? I did some searching on the net but found nothing of use.. Knowing the volume of the main chamber could be useful when trying to tune the shocks with adding oil behind the floating piston in the main chamber...

zhu
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Tried adding oil to my DHX

I finally got down to tuning my shock today as it needed some tlc anyway. Had to replace the bottom out bumper (i wonder why) and change the oil. I also tried the "adding oil in the main chamber of the shock to reduce the volume&make the thing more progressive" fix previously discussed here. I poured 10wt shock oil in the main chamber as the shock was apart anyway, but it could also be done through the valve (either with a pump or by removing the valve and just pouring the oil inside) so it is an easy procedure. Decreasing the amount of oil inside is easy too.. just turn the shock around and pour it out through the valve. After a short spin i can easily tell the difference. The shock ramps up quite hard towards the end of the stroke and i have yet to bottom it out completely (it used to bottom out from just bouncing up and down hard enough). I can't yet comment on the true small bump performance of the thing as my local trails are still under 2 feet of snow, but i think it should still outperform the rp3 because of the tunable piggyback volume, which is now set on maximum volume.

Drink...sleep
    Great news Zhu. So your bottom out bumper was trashed from the amount of bottoming you did on the stock shock? Wow...

I'm debating on getting a DHX Air or coil myself too (I'll pick it up in the States of course as it's ridiculously expensive here in Europe). After your post, the only thing holding me back on the air now is its reliability. Don't know if Fox have it fixed by now. Anyways, maybe Tom can chime in on the performance of the coil DHX?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I can do that after this weekend. I played around on it last night but you really can't dial it in untill you hit the dirt. I have a 500 lbs spring on it and I can't bottom it by bouncing. I think i can off of small drops though. I am going to see if I can dial it in with the 500lb spring and if not I am going to get a 600lb spring.

Tom

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Bringing this back from the dead....

If adding oil to the chamber of the DHX helps in the bottoming out of the shock...

Would this work on a swinger or the stock Radium? I dont have money for a DHX, but i get tired of bottoming out my Radium.

mtbr member

you bottom out the radium?

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Bringing this back from the dead....

If adding oil to the chamber of the DHX helps in the bottoming out of the shock...

Would this work on a swinger or the stock Radium? I dont have money for a DHX, but i get tired of bottoming out my Radium.
    what air pressure do you run?
    when I had mine, if I put 140-150 in there, it felt like I was riding a hardtail.
    and I weigh like 195.
    man I hate that shock....