Thread: Deltav rebuild

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Deltav rebuild

Just got back my old 1993 Deltav 1000 and she is going on the stand for a total rebuild. My son was using it and well didnt take very good care of her, poor girl.
    Headset bearings are shot, rims are so thin I doubt they will hold my 220lbs for long, hubs still spin as free as day 1. Original XT derailluer still soild and no play. Weird how ones I have that are 3 years old have play in them now and this one is 22 years old and solid. Headshock still works, going to replace BB with a new type and most likely a SLX crank and rings with a new cassette. Brakes are still in perfect condition, changed them 2 years after I got the bike to the Deore canti's.Will keep the brake levers but the shifters need replacing as well as the bars. The bike came apart pretty easy except the left crank arm was really hanging on for dear life, had to put a 2 foot bar on the crank extractor to get it to break free.
     photo DSCN0322_zpsa4a7e290.jpg
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Ridin' dirty!
    Can't wait to see your finished project! I too just recently finished a 1992 Delta V project...hardest thing was to find the right adapter for the rear dropout to run disc brakes....those cantilever dropouts don't make it easy... ;-)
    Here's a pic of mine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deltav rebuild-img_0316.jpg  

Deltav rebuild-img_0314-2.jpg  

"Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Can't wait to see your finished project! I too just recently finished a 1992 Delta V project...hardest thing was to find the right adapter for the rear dropout to run disc brakes....those cantilever dropouts don't make it easy... ;-)
    Here's a pic of mine:
    WOW rear disk how? got any better pics, my curiosity is very peaked now!

Nice job by the way I got so excited about rear disk for got to ay it the first time LOL.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    WOW rear disk how? got any better pics, my curiosity is very peaked now!

Nice job by the way I got so excited about rear disk for got to ay it the first time LOL.
    Got this Chasertech adapter on eBay for $49.99 :

New MTB Bicycle Bike Rear Disc Brake Adapter Kit 145mm Black | eBay

I used the threaded holes on the frame for extra security so the adapter does not fall of when you take the rear wheel out.
    I also had to drill a hole into the adapter plate rather than into the frame as the mounting instructions suggested.
    On the newer Gen cdale frames without the cantilever dropouts this set up looks much cleaner, but it works fine the way it is on mine, just looks a bit "funky" lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deltav rebuild-img_0315.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Wow that it totaly cool, I was thinking of having a braket welded on, where I work we have some good welders that can weld aliminum. This looks like a better idea, is your shock new or used? Was it hard to fit? I haven't played with this bike in ages so I am kinda rusty with the headset stuff on these monsters.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Ridin' dirty!
    Shock came off of my Rush. It's a "Frankenlefty" 2005 Lefty Max upper, 2007 Lefty Speed DLR2 lowers and a 2011 PBR cartridge. Axle to crown height was shortened by using a spacer behind the upper air seal. Travel is 80mm now.
    Mounting it is easy, you just need a new headset with bearings, the cannondale SI ones.
    The old split cup headset will only work on the first gen HeadShok.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well I got the frame all polished up, got another newer rear derailluer installed, rear canti's all cleaned up and installed. Have new cranks, BB and new hoops on order. Nother to extreme just some mavic hoops on deore hubs.Trying to keep as close to what came on it even though its newer. Ordering new bearings tomorrow for headshock. The rear disk looked really cool but I think I am going to keep her original as best I can. The parts should be in Friday and hope to have it semi complete in a few days. This is going to be my road bike, it's as close as I can come to a road bike , MTB with slicks. Still deciding to keep the front forks black or polish them to match the frame.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Ridin' dirty!
    Remember that the headshok si bearings will not fit into the split cups! If i remember correctly the lower one is larger, and pretty tough to source.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well I am taking them to work to have our parts guy o hand get them for me. I will measure the openings top and bottom with my digital caliper. The bottom bearing was destroyed removing it but they look the same to me. Will have another look to confirm.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Both bearings are the same. should be in tomorrow, rims will be in wednesday. Got MAvics with Deore hubs, trying to keep it low cost as I already dumped a ton into my 29er LOL. I have a spare set of Deore shifters that are still in excellent shape I will reuse. Put a new Deore crank and rings on it, stripped the fork and polished it. Ordered some new bars and once that comes in I will slap it all together and take some pics.