mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Decided on a 2004 Gemini 900 - but it has issues

Well, I decided on a 2004 Gemini 900, I took it out for an on-road ride tonight to dial it in and get the feel for it. A couple of questions.

I assume my hardtail ways need to change. On my 38lbs hardtail I'm good for about a 2' bunnyhop, on the Gemini, it is work to clear a curb. I guess I need to learn to ride full suspension, but I assume I need to preload the suspension before I jump.

Has anybody narrowed the bars? They seem a tad wide, or is that a downhill thing?

And lastly the bike has a little issue......

The seat tube hits the left side of the swing arm, as in the paint is already gone. When you look, it is pretty obvious the rear tire is not centered and the whole swingarm is off to the right. I'm starting the warranty process, but I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

I also noticed that my bike is not spec'd like the one on the web site. The web site calls for Maxxis tires, EX321 rims, XT Derailuer and an FSA headset. I have WTB tires, F219 rims, LX derailuer and a Cane Creek headset. I assume mine is older stock or something.

mtbr member
    Is this thing used? Sounds kinda fishy to me...
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not used, brand new off the floor of my LBS. They had others in different frame sizes setup the same way.

mtbr member
    Warranty!? I'd be taking it back and demanding a new one if the swingarm is way off and you've not really even ridden it yet.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Some bikes get mid line changes based on availability of parts to the manufacturer, but thats alot of different changes, your shop didn't part out some of your bike and then add new (different) stuff did they?

Are you talking to me?

Contact Cannondale directly.

What are all of the stock specs, including color?

Contact Cannondale directly about the swingarm issue right away. Not normal at all.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    What are all of the stock specs, including color?

Contact Cannondale directly about the swingarm issue right away. Not normal at all.
    The rest of the bike specs are the same as the web site. I'm assuming they had a change in specs, and the Mavic wheels might actually be the same. Mavic changed all the part numbers this year and confused everybody, I have not been able to find a cross reference yet. My bike has a Cane Creek headset and LX derail. New spec is FSA headset and XT derail. In terms of cost, those two things net out.

I did call Cannondale, I was told to go through the dealer and the dealer rep. I'm doing that and so far I'm getting the service I expect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Some bikes get mid line changes based on availability of parts to the manufacturer, but thats alot of different changes, your shop didn't part out some of your bike and then add new (different) stuff did they?
    I was there when they took a medium Gemini out of a box so we could check the swingarm clearance, it had the same part spec as mine. When I stopped at another Cannondale dealer in another state to check swingarm clearance on some more Gemini's I noticed the different parts, which match the website. I think the two part specs are roughly equal, so it is no biggie. I'm going to put on Mavic 823's and tubeless tires anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sounds like Cannondale is shipping out a new frame, no drama, no questions asked, they are just going to take care of it. This one looks like a manufacturing defect to my untrained eye. The wheel is centered on the bike, but the swingarm is off to the point of rubbing on the seat tube.

This is good, because I like Cannondale. The other Cannondale's I've owned have all been fine. I'm glad I didn't have to get all grumpy about this whole thing, bikes are for recreation, not stress.

I've been riding the bike as-is, took it offroad for some XC style climbs, jumped over some big rocks, then hooked up the bike trailer threw the kids in and went "touring". I can't wait to get the bike to a ski area.

It really is a decent all around bike. The pedal bob is minimal to non-existant, especially sitting down.