mtbr member
    Sep 2007

debonding lefty mounts

anyone ever debond the mounts on a lefty? i'm looking to remove stock mounts and machine new ones to get the offset i want. maybe i could get cannondale to sell me one without mounts?

thanks

Ridin' dirty!
    .....and maybe cannondale will sell me some tubing also so I can weld my own frame.....
    Seriously...I doubt that they will sell you an "unfinished fork".
    I never heard of anyone doing a major mod on a Lefty like that.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    if this is 110mm travel lefty you could get the Speed DLR2, not the speed bonded version. Or you could be talking about a carbon fiber lefty, in that case cant be done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yea i was talkin about the carbon version i guess i could just cut the mount down then chuck it up in the lathe, turn it down, it would just be like a then alu shim, then clamp 2 it.., or get it to where its paper then and dry ice it and pop it off, anyone think i'm crazy?
    Last edited by topfuel98; 01-04-2008 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by topfuel98
    yea i was talkin about the carbon version i guess i could just cut the mount down then chuck it up in the lathe, turn it down, it would just be like a then alu shim, then clamp 2 it.., or get it to where its paper then and dry ice it and pop it off, anyone think i'm crazy?
    Yes.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    Yes.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    News flash, older DLR's are available on ebay all the time, are cheaper, more reliable, simpler to work on, and offer 10mm less travel than the DLR2. That said, if you need to use a carbon one, even then, they were bonded. And yes, doing so would be a very poor choice. Beyond the potential for injury (an acceptable thing for most tinkerers though...) if you screw it up, you are out HUNDREDS of dollars, like, oh, say $800+, big ouch for not much gain. Have fun though, and take video, I love some good carnage on tape
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by topfuel98
    anyone ever debond the mounts on a lefty? i'm looking to remove stock mounts and machine new ones to get the offset i want. maybe i could get cannondale to sell me one without mounts?

thanks
    highoctane,
    maybe if you tell us what you are trying to achieve, exactly, there's a better solution. what do you mean by offset? spacing btwn clamps? there's lots of knowledge on lefties right here in this thread. maybe you can explain. how tall is the headtube you want to mount a lefty to?