mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Dd60 !!!!!!help!!!!!!!

Hi,

Ive got my DD60 cart in pcs on the table in front of me. I need to get the top white nylon seal collar off the main shaft but I dont know how to get the aluminum cap off the shaft or the valve off the bottom to access these seals . I need help!!!! Does anyone know how? I beginning to think these may be pressed in place and may not be servicable.
    !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!! Please..........

Thanks
    Silvertone

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have only worked on DD50s, but I recall people talking about a flat on the shaft under the top cap. If yours has one, that is the wrench point with your pin spanner to remove the cap. Pictures would be helpful.
    Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

dd60 rebuild

Thanks Dale1k,
    There is no flat on the shaft for a wrench. Thats the problem I imagine we have seen the same photo on the net.There are no visible threads either it really appears to be pressed on. I attempted to add wrench flats and even resorted toneedle nose vise girps. All that did was booger up the top of the main shaft. I am hoping that there is still enough clearance that this wont effect this shock once I get it back together. but...... The valve on the bottom doesnt appear to come off either. I have all my new seals and

Thanks
    Silvertone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dd60   !!!!!!help!!!!!!!-imgp2175.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I did oil changes to both my DD50s and didn't go this far (diaassembly). I can't imagine the cap is press fitted. It has to be threaded. The trick is to figure out what tools to use. The only thing I can think of, short of making a custom tool, is to find a flare tool (copper tubing) to carefully clamp the shaft and trying to twist the cap with the pin spanner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i didnt think of a flare tool thanks

PMK
    mtbr member
    Been a while since I pulled one apart to replace that seal. I'm not positive, but if the pistons rods don't unscrew with wrench flats, then i is pressed together, not threaded.

They also used Loctite.

Looking again at the photo, I almost certain it's pressed. They can be disassembled and repaired, but the techniques are "Primitive Pete" coming apart and going together.

I am assuming the end has the big hex nut looking top that the knob secures to.

PK

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks PK thats what I was afraid of , Primitive Pete lol