Trying to find Flow

Damping for Headshoks

Is there even such a thing. Just got my rebuilt headshok back from the shop and it still bounces back like a pogo stick. I had them put 10w oil there, but the service guy told me that's as good as it gets. He also said you could put 20w in there but risk damaging the internals. Any suggestions? I like the idea of the headshok, but I think the actual suspension technology is a little behind the times - with tunability and anti-bob technology on forks such as Fox, et. al. pretty commonplace now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    Is there even such a thing. Just got my rebuilt headshok back from the shop and it still bounces back like a pogo stick. I had them put 10w oil there, but the service guy told me that's as good as it gets. He also said you could put 20w in there but risk damaging the internals. Any suggestions? I like the idea of the headshok, but I think the actual suspension technology is a little behind the times - with tunability and anti-bob technology on forks such as Fox, et. al. pretty commonplace now.
    10w and it still bounces? Something must be wrong.

I use Silkolene 5w synth fluid to replace the OEM 7.5w and it made a huge diff. It actually feels firmer (go figure).

Do you hear any swishing noised or any type of hydrolic sounds?

What specific HeadShok you have and the PSI used?

ps. A properly "tuned" HeadShok is a great piece of technology....no matter its age.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

Most headshocks have an internal damping...

adjustment, though I'll assume that yours does not. In that case, as the previous poster mentioned, changing the oil weight in the damper should make a big difference. Sounds like your damper might have a problem and may be worth sending it back to C-dale.

mtbr member
    Along with oil changes c'dale can also tweek the shock by changeng porting etc. But it does sound as though there is somthing not quite right with your shock. A rebuilt headshock should feel as it did brand new.