Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Czero wheels

41K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  eliflap 
#1 ·
Any insight on the new czero wheelset? Who makes them? Weight? Etc? Anyone ride them at dealer camp?
The 2016 team scalpel is spec'd with them instead of Enves that the 2015 has. Hard to match up to the Enves.

#2 ·
I havent tried the mtb versions, but ride czero disc on my cannondale synapse hi-mod. Very happy with em. And seems like quality work.

Ive tried diggin into where they are from, my guess is that cdale makes them themselves or bought the company making them.

Have the enves on my f-si and feel confident they will stack up to the enves. I was also a little dissapointed anyway the the enves on the top tier was the old enves and not the new 50's.

#5 ·
»1650 grams/set (29)
»22mm deep, full carbon rim. Long sheet carbon construction. Disc-specific.
»Rim width: 23mm internal /29mm external.
»Hubs: CZero custom, 39t/3-pawl freehub for fast engagement, Lefty 60 (SuperMax width) front, sealed precision bearings, 6-bolt disc.
»CZero butted straightpull spokes 32 front, rear (2cross) - Alloy nipples
»Formula Tubeless Compatible

#6 ·
I have ridden the wheels on a Habit 1. They set up tubeless OK using a compressor, soapy water and Stans. Tried both with Schwalbe tires and Maxxis. They felt fine riding, I really did not think about them which is all I ask from a wheel. I did notice that rear spokes needed to be re-tensioned after a week of hard riding.

#9 ·
Here is an update. The wheels are great. The rear hub (Czero Formula made) had a catastrophic failure on a smooth, steep climb. The internal axle snapped in half. Cannondale warrantied it and the shop installed an XO rear hub.

Crappy that the failure happened, but I am glad cannondale stepped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Here is an update. The wheels are great. The rear hub (Czero Formula made) had a catastrophic failure on a smooth, steep climb. The internal axle snapped in half. Cannondale warrantied it and the shop installed an XO rear hub.
Same thing happened to me this weekend, though I think it was from an impact not a steep climb. I could be wrong though as I only noticed when I got a flat and the cassette stayed in the frame!
Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle drivetrain part Rim Bicycle accessory

#10 ·
Does anyone know if there is indeed two versions of this wheel as in a regular carbon like my FSi Carbon 2 2016 has, and a SL version like perhaps the new Scalpel may get? Really like to know weight difference if anyone knows. Thanks Mucho

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

#11 ·
My 2015 Synapse Hi-Mod Disc came with c-zero wheels, was very impressed before a car mashed up the rear wheel. Taking it apart in the hope of getting a new rim, but I'm not having much luck.
I've only got some dodgy kitchen scales, but weights came to;
349g - rim
300g - hub, with centre lock collar
148g - spokes, nipples, collars

797g total without rim tape. They are 28 hole straight pull aeroblades, not sure of the make.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement rim? I've tried a few dealers in the UK and I've had no luck so far.

#28 ·
That is not very good. For example Mavic Pro are 1580g in 29" boost version, and those are alloy wheel for about 900€ (only Chinese carbons are clearly lighter & cheaper than that). And those Mavics are known for havin super hubs and spokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Update; I now have over 1500 miles on my C-Zero wheels (2016 FS-i Carbon) and as myself and others have mentioned, the Formula hub on the rear that comes with these wheels sucks. I had a rear hub grenade on a brand new bike. In the end, Cannondale replaced with a DT350 rear hub and not a problem since. The rims seems to hold up well, are somewhat light, look great, and no spoke issues. BTW, I am 200 lbs and do not baby these wheels. I also race the bike and am very happy now that the crappy rear hub was replaced. I am a huge DT hub fan and have them on all my bikes.

#18 ·
Hi All,
I'm having some nipples corrosion problem on my CZero wheels, (Scalpel Carbon 2 2017).

I've read several threads and yes, latex type is one of the causes, but also the alloy nipples.

I'd like to change all the original nipples with brass ones.
It's hard to me find the right spare parts, or understand which nipples could be fine.

1. where can I find the original nipples and some spokes ? (just in case). Can't be this the only solutions ! Spokes CZero

2. These nipples seems quite similar to the original ones. Could they be fine ? https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=37244;menu=1000,2,302,304;page=2

3. About the brass nipples, could these be fine ? https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=15732;menu=1000,2,302,304

4. What about the spokes ? Just in order to have some spare ones, which ones should I get ?

5. Have you some recommendation about the spokes tension ?

Thanks !

#20 ·
The solution is to pay an experienced wheelbuilder to rebuild them with brass nipples:

They can also supply you with spare spokes. Parts will be cheap - brass nipples aren't exactly spendy, and the labour shouldn't be horrendous either - they'll have tricks for freeing nipples and the labour costs aren't great. Expect $100 all in, if they don't convince you that you need new spokes.

#24 ·
Remember to request your wheel builder to use stainless steel nipple washers between the rim and nipple. This will help spread the force from the spoke across a wider area inside the rim and act as an insulator between nipple and rim. Very important in an ammonia rich environment like a tubeless bicycle rim. Or don;t use ammonia based sealant

#25 ·
Remember to request your wheel builder to use stainless steel nipple washers between the rim and nipple. This will help spread the force from the spoke across a wider area inside the rim and act as an insulator between nipple and rim.
That's indeed what my bike shop told me and apparently it's not easy to find a brass nipple with a washer like the original alu ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.