mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cyclocomputer on a Lefty

I just got my first Cannondale Mt Bike and am loving it. I am heading to Moab and a few of the trails I plan on doing I need to know my milage so I know when to turn. I had not planned on putting a computer on my bike but it is looking like I will need one for this trip.

So I was looking at my new Rush and was trying to figure a way to mount a computer. With the lefty in front I don't really have a spot to mount a computer except where the shock compresses and that won't work. What have others done? I was thinking of trying to find a computer with a long cable that I could run off the back tire but thought I would ask the list first.

Any ideas or things that have worked for other cdale owners is appreciated.
    Thanks.

mtbr member

Lefty computer finger

You need something like the part offered at ebay:

Lefty computer finger

I've got such a 'finger' and it works fine with me although mine is made of plastic.

Drink...sleep
    You don't need anything like that. A common solution is to glue the magnet to the brake rotor. Another solution is to mount the computer sensor on the disc brake caliper, like I do (see the pic). Hmm, I just noticed on the pic the ziptie on my lefty boot is a it in the wrong place, time for a new one .
    Attached Images Attached Images

el Rappazapator
    I also bought a Lefty finger and I'm perfectly happy with it. You may order one online on “http://www.globalparts.ch” or “http://www.maliceonline.com/lefty___seb_4973.php”. It’s a little expensive but it will do its job under any circumstances, even if you hit a branch or have a little accident. Self made solutions often break under this conditions and can make the thing even worse if your sensor gets into the brake rotor or your spokes.
    Also you don’t need to mess around with glue, zip ties and wire. One drop of superglue into your calipers may ruin them for ever, so a Lefty finger may definitely be the cheaper solution.

Ex-Clydesdale
    You know that Cannondale offers something that looks exactly like that but made of plastic, right? I've been using one, no problems with it.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Cereal Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    You know that Cannondale offers something that looks exactly like that but made of plastic, right? I've been using one, no problems with it.
    I also have the plastic one, and it works fine for me. Any Cannondale dealer should have them.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I bought a Cateye Astrale 8 for my Prophet. I was trying to figure out how to mount the computer and sensors on the bike for both the speed and cadence sensors and found a pretty good way to do it. I took the rubber cap off the top of the steerer tube, drilled a small hole in it, then cut a slit to the hole. I ran the cable through the steerer tube, down the brake line to the swingarm, mounted the cadence sensor to the swingarm, ran the speed sensor to the rear dropout, where I mounted it with a zip-tie through an existing hole. There's just enough clearance to mount the sensor between the dropout and the disk. I then stuck a neo magnet to the disk rotor at the hub (where it's just stuck, magnetically). The magnet hasn't moved, yet. Works great for me.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I made a very very simple angle bracket, like 1/2x1/2x1/2 if that makes sense to you. It bolts to the Avid5 bracket bolt, very sweet and right behing the fork leg so NO twigs affect it..
    Tony
    (Ill post apic tomorrow, when is your trip??? What kind of brakes do you have???)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Done

So I took Boozz advise and just zip tied it to my brake rotor (avid Juicy 7). I got a Cateye Enduro 8, and it is now on and working. It was easy to install and seems to work great.

Thanks to everyone who gave me info and ideas!

I leave for Moab this comming Thursday night for three days of fun in the sun on my bike. The weather in the west has been great and I hope the storms stay away for another week.

Thanks again!

Drink...sleep
    Great! I've got the same Cateye and Juicy's, and so far with this construction on the brake caliper, after a lot of very hard and wild rides, it's still going strong and working perfectly. Have fun!

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    here are two pics of the little bracket, it goes on avid5's and 7's too i think...
    It goes between the caliper and caliper bracket, and as you can see goes with the caliper when you take the caliper off the fork
    Tony
    (thinking of popping out a couple more too, wait to see my 'billet' speedo mount, instead of handlebar mount !!!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just took the magnet from a dissected Cateye Astrale cadence magnet and glued it onto the disc rotor. Then I mounted my Sigma BC1600 sensor onto the lower part of the Lefty with the elastic band going above and below the lower disc brake screw mount. Works like a charm! BTW Cannondale wants $30CAD for that plastic mount and I gotta order it thru the dealer and wait a week and the dealer also wants $15CAD shipping fee, this is all before the 15% sales tax we have here in Toronto. Crazy! Cannondale also wants $25CAD for a set of new Lefty decals. Argh!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    This is better: http://www.portaleditalia.it/shop/sh...LEFTY_Supporto Just a special bracket!

Members who have read this thread: 0