mtbr member
    Apr 2004

cyclingnews reports new Scalpel weight at 17.6lbs

LA CHÈVRE
    It's the so-called Scalpel Ultimate that is almost too light, not the Team replica they have pictured. Different wheels, tires, saddle, chainrings, brakes... Here are pictures of the super light (claimed at 18.2 from other sources)... Very light? Oh yes! Very expensive? You guessed it, very... very expensive.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

LA CHÈVRE
    Interesting info:

Weight of frames, forks and systems:

Stiffness to weight ratio:

Nice details to increase stiffness:

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The mud on my bike weighs more than that. Now theres a thought could I get it Teflon coated. Could be a more cost effective weight saver for one of these in their real work place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

for the new sid WC is being awfully nice. Not to mention the stiffness advantage of the Lefty. Nice chart. Now I just need to decide to keep my Taurine or wait for the '09 Scalpel. Usually I like to give a new design a year.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1
    for the new sid WC is being awfully nice. Not to mention the stiffness advantage of the Lefty. Nice chart. Now I just need to decide to keep my Taurine or wait for the '09 Scalpel. Usually I like to give a new design a year.
    Well, I'll be the guinea pig... I'm pretty much decided to get a Carbon Scalpel frame and build it up myself this upcoming winter.

I had two Cannondales that were out of the first production run of a new model (CAAD4 and Prophet) and I never had any issue with them so I trust that Cannondale's testing is better than the industry average. I can't say the same about some other brands though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sounds good

Keep us posted? What wheels are you going to build it with? The lefty limits the hub choice as you know. I see XTR is making a lefty wheelset now, not sure if Shimano will sell only the lefty hub though.

I really like my Taurine - on some courses it is the best choice. Yesterday though, I was in a hard thursday night series, and I was hurting after 90 minutes. 100% tight single track with lots of roots, etc... I would have been much better on a scalpel. I'll need to ride one....

mtbr member
    Just a thought, but I'm thinking the weight difference between the old Scalpel med and large is greater than the difference between the new Scalpel med and large. Point being, there is a chance that for us that ride a large, the weight loss between our old Scalpel and our new one when we get it will be a bigger perceived drop. Does anyone know the weight of the new large Scalpel frame? So far I think all the info given has been med. size. Maybe that 17.6 is an extra small. I'm trying not be a weight weenie but it's kinda hard when people are posting these big charts!! By the way thanks for the chart Dan! Did you see that pic floating around from eurobike of a carbon fiber rotor? Crazy stuff...Aye.

LA CHÈVRE
    Keep us posted? What wheels are you going to build it with? The lefty limits the hub choice as you know. I see XTR is making a lefty wheelset now, not sure if Shimano will sell only the lefty hub though.

I really like my Taurine - on some courses it is the best choice. Yesterday though, I was in a hard thursday night series, and I was hurting after 90 minutes. 100% tight single track with lots of roots, etc... I would have been much better on a scalpel. I'll need to ride one....
    Don't worry, if you've been on this forum for a while, you'll know I wont have surprises as to what I can and what I can't use on Cannondales. Thing is, the only wheel limit of the Lefty is for the front hub and the Cannondale Lefty hubs are pretty good, light and reliable if you want to build wheelsets. The thing about the XTR wheels is you are stuck with the Centerlock rear and Saint size Centerlock front hubs... and I prefer 6-bolt rotors, it gives more choice and can be lighter.

In my case, I'll probably get the classic Mavic SLRs. I like Mavic UST rims and a XM819 is kind of heavy and I like the feel of the Crossmax. My planned build will be close to the 08 Team Replica, different brakes, Grip Shift rather than Triggers, maybe a road front derailleur... We'll see, if I do go ahead with the project, you guys will see it for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

exactly..

No centerlock for me - I run Stans Alum rotors. The thing with a lefty is that it is such a stiff, great handling fork that I fear going for a superlight wheelset is counterproductive as you will lose some of the great handling from the fork into a flexy wheel. Sort of like having a strong wheel and a noodly old sid.
    Have fun.

mtbr member

Scalpel Ultimate in WC

Apparently we will see the Ultimate in the WC in Scotland next weekend. The WC bike should be specced with the expensive Dt Swiss carbon wheels.
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1350 gram is the "old" SID, the new one wights 1450 grams. so the wight comparison table would be diffrent with that one on the spark, it woukld be even more heavy