mtbr member
    Nov 2005

cutting handle bar

I was wondering if anybody has cut the FSA bar that comes stock on the prophet 800. If so, how much did you take off? And, what did you use to cut it?

I am thinking about cutting my bar today, I am looking for quicker steering.

Breck

mtbr member
    For cutting an aluminum handlebar, the cheapest and easiest way to do so is using a pipe cutter. Hacksaws don't work very good unless you buy the correct handlebar cutting guide.

Handlebar width somewhat corresponds to your shoulder width and riding style, it is more of a personal preference thing. If you were to cut it, probably 1/2" off each side would do.

Before you cut the handle bar any shorter, it would probably be wise to try a shorter stem first. This will make the steering quicker but you will still maintain the extra stability gained by the wider handlebar.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNAR1922
    I was wondering if anybody has cut the FSA bar that comes stock on the prophet 800. If so, how much did you take off? And, what did you use to cut it?

I am thinking about cutting my bar today, I am looking for quicker steering.

Breck
    Make sure you can move your brakes and shifters in towards the stem. The FSA bar is thicker towards the middle.

mtbr member
    I cut down the bars on my rush 1000 (same bars as the prophet 1000).

I was only able to shift the grips shifters and brakes about 2cm each side towards the center because of the oversize, still leaving a very wide set of bars. My LBS used a pipe cutter to do it.

In the end they were still too wide so I replaced them...

mtbr member
    how do you know exactly how wide your bars should be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    how do you know exactly how wide your bars should be?
    With what feels right, and what your used to. The rush's bars were so wide I got nervous everytime I passed a tree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleebs
    With what feels right, and what your used to. The rush's bars were so wide I got nervous everytime I passed a tree.
    I used to ride flatbars and cut them too - usualy they were 560mm and this space had to fit brake levers, gripshift, grips and bar ends - pretty cluttered.

I moved to risers since (helped me with a fit on bike) and I don't cut them, I got used to the width and I can ride the same trails without problem, but then again I use FSA K-Force with is quite narrow at 630mm

Members who have read this thread: 0