Cannondale Snob

Custom Super-V rear swing-arm

Reading the Uber-V thread got me thinking about designing a custom Super-V swing-arm.

I was thinking: Something that would allow 29x2.3" tires and enough shock room (per a '99 frame) for 6" of suspension travel.

Then I can start bugging manufacturers for a 6" travel 29er fork that fits a 1.5" HT (or just design one myself).

Of course, if the demand is there for a 26" tire version I could go that route as well. I figured the Jekyll swingarm pretty much had that market covered, though a custom arm would allow the HT angle to be dialed in for the use of a 6" front shock

Any thoughts / suggestions?
    Last edited by RiskEverything; 09-06-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Uber V Cripp
    Draw something up. I would be interested in it.

Horizontally Compliant
    Yeah, I'd be interested too... I've been trying to think of how to make my next Uber build into a long travel 29'er... I wonder how much it would cost to have a fab shop build a one-off?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Then there would be a use for that silly 26 inch Uber I just don't ride. Gosh, little wheels are so, so, little. Count me in!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Devolution is real!
    Sounds Awesome. I love custom parts.

Cannondale Snob
    I'm still trying to win an EBay auction. Please bear with me.

Also, are the swingarms identical to the ones used with the Raven?
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Uber V Cripp
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything

Nope. The best design is the stock jekyll swingarm. It looks like this:

Horizontally Compliant
    Any new info regarding a custom swingarm for the Super/Uber V? I've been doing lots of homework on this subject and my trigger finger is getting anxious. I'd really like to build my next Uber V up as a 29'er, and if it's as good as I think it will be, I'll never need another bike!!

There are two routes I'm thinking of going... either a full-on scratch built custom unit with 150MM hub spacing, capable of running up to 2.5" tires, larger rotors, and an adjustable shock mount so I could run different shocks, thus changing the travel to match upcoming 29'er forks, or just modifying the existing Super V or Jekyll swingarm to accomodate a 29" wheel, which would probably suffice just fine for the riding I intend on doing. Either route will also include a floating rear brake, since I've found the brake jack on these bikes rather annoying.

My question is this: If I stick to trying to modify the existing swingarm, is it possible (read: safe) to modify the dropouts? This would probably require require cutting off the dropouts and welding in some new material. In doing so, it would be critical to get the alignment right and there's a lot of room for error. Does anyone know what type of Aluminum the stock swingarms are made of... 6061, 7075, etc?

If I go about having a custom built swingarm made, who should I go to for the work? What material should I use? I've thought about checking out the local machine shops and fabricators, but I'm not sure that they could do the work with the precision needed for this type of application. Also, I'm assuming they would both probably need, or at least expect full plans in CAD or something, which I don't have. I've also thought about calling some custom frame builders, but I'm sure the cost would probably be prohibitive.

Anyways, just thought I'd check into the status of this and see if anyone could answer some of my questions before I get in over my head. Any info/opinions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Toe

Viva La Uber!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Thread thread has a strong quasi-Craig's List Casual Encounters Man on Man vibe. I digress. As you were.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A new Jekell Swingarm from C'dale (them building a new one) is $275. I checked with Mendon and he has them for $200 - they're off a Recumbant, which supposedly is the same swingarm, but - he explained to me that you have to use a E type front derailer when using this swingarm... I don't completely understand that - makes me think that the offset is different (anybody want to clarify this for me)?

Your local machine shop would have to be a good one... Specifically someone who either builds race cars or turns out airplane parts (in other words, someone who is an expert in TIG welding). They would also need to fabricate a jig. That should be easy though, any jig is usually made of welded blocks, etc to a steel fab table.

Look on Easton Tubing's website. I don't think you need to get the exact material as what C'dale uses... Just pick a material that matches the application. It might also be hard to get frame material in a small quantity.

I'll be watching...

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything

Still looking? I think I've got a couple CAAD4 swingarms kicking around.