mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Custom 29er frame with Lefty - questions.

Couple of questions for everyone... I'm looking to have a custom Ti 29er frame built by Seth Rosko here in NYC, and I'd like to use a Lefty -- I've got a '10 Rize 2 with a Lefty that I love, and I'd like to keep the same fork.

I've seen a couple of builders using Si headtubes -- Lynskey, Quiring, Seven, for instance. Does anyone know if those headtubes are something that's available from a builder, or if they're milled by the builder? If they are milled, does anyone know where I might be able to get the Si headtube specs? For those that have had frames built for Leftys, did you use an Si headtube or did you use the Project 321 adapter?

Secondly, is there somewhere I can get a good overview of the currently available Lefty 29er forks? Cannondale's site is confusing as hell, and Project 321's list is old.

It looks like the new 2013 forks are pretty good -- anyone know if they're available yet, or still too early? I doubt I'd go 130mm on a hardtail (Supermax) but the other forks look interesting...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'd make it easier for your builder and just go with a 44 mm head tube.

Get an Inset headset for 1 1/8" steerer, and a Project 321 adapter.

No only simpler and stiffer than an 1 1/8" HT, but makes the frame more flexible as it will accept 1 1/8" straight, or tapered forks down the road.

Just make sure it's short enough to accept the clamp spacing for the Lefty.

As for info on the new stuff, can't help too much unless you have a specific question.

Dampers are unchanged from 2011/2012, but the chassis is 100% new for 2013.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sorry, I meant is there a good place for me to do a comparative of the full model lineup? I want to understand the features/benefits of all the offered forks.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by sashae View Post
    Sorry, I meant is there a good place for me to do a comparative of the full model lineup? I want to understand the features/benefits of all the offered forks.
    Directly from the cdale catalog...can't get any simpler than this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom 29er frame with Lefty - questions.-picture053.jpg  

"Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Perfect, thanks -- I thought the Carbon lineup came in more than just "Carbon XLR." 100mm travel on a 29er hardtail sounds juuust about right.