mtbr member

New question here. Creaking noise when pedalling

I bought a Jekyll 900 roughly 3 weeks ago & am having a few issues with the bike namely that now when pedalling uphill there bike is creaking like it is 5 years old.. Now I know that if it is new there should be a little sound from the rear shok but to be honest I have heard the noise from the rear shok & this noise is different.. were it an older bike I would say it is the crank/bottom bracet making the noise because thats where the noise seems to come from but I checked there is grease there & surely after 3 weeks it wouldn't have started already.. I know the shop I bought it from didn't do the best job setting it up but.. Any ideas?? Thanks

mtbr member
    Your pedals may need tightening, and they should have grease on the threads to seal out water and dirt. Could it be your seatpost? any grit getting down in between the post and seat tube will make it creak. Grease helps that too. Are your crankarm bolts tight? It is very common for newly assembled bikes to need some retorquing after a few rides. In fact most shops will tell you to bring the bike back after a few rides or 30 days for a free tune up. Cannondale might even require thier dealers to do this so as not to make Cannondale look bad.

mtbr member
    I'd check the same things mentioned above, crank bolts, seatpost, but also push on the front downward on the front and back of the seat, mine had a squeak there, all that was needed was the seat tightened down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Niichren
    I bought a Jekyll 900 roughly 3 weeks ago & am having a few issues with the bike namely that now when pedalling uphill there bike is creaking like it is 5 years old.. Now I know that if it is new there should be a little sound from the rear shok but to be honest I have heard the noise from the rear shok & this noise is different.. were it an older bike I would say it is the crank/bottom bracet making the noise because thats where the noise seems to come from but I checked there is grease there & surely after 3 weeks it wouldn't have started already.. I know the shop I bought it from didn't do the best job setting it up but.. Any ideas?? Thanks

My 2002 Jekyll 1000 did the same thing. It is the seatpost. Dirt gets in there and it creaks. I clean and grease it about 1/month and no creaking.

mtbr member

Creaking

When I had my Jeckyl the creaking was a loos main pivot on tje drive side. After tightening that I never had another problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    same problem here with a 2002 Jekyll 800. I've tried to grease bottom bracket, but same noise after a few days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Same problem

I had the same problem with my 2000 Jekyll. I had a new swingarm installed on it and it started squeaking and creaking. I put a little Tri-Flo around the pivots -- not the bearings-- and it quit.

mtbr member

Same with mine

I had a creaking problem when I first got my '04 Jekyll 400 in late May because I wiped to much grease of the seat post. Now in late Aug I am having creaking in a different part of the bike.

It sounds to me like the bottom bracket but I just put some axel lube on the pivot points of the swingarm and it seems to be working.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Shok

I bought a Jekyll 600 a month ago and the bike creaked from new. I eventually narrowed it down to the Fox Shock. The bike shop I got the bike from has sent it off for repair and loaned me a non pro pedal shock until it comes back from repair. So it could be your shock.

mtbr member
    Yeah RR I can't really tell where the creaking is coming from for sure, it could very well be my shock. I am going to take mine in to the lbs today or tomorrow to see what the guys down their say. I will tell them what your shock was doing so they take a look at it. I will keep you guys posted on what they say.

mtbr member
    The main pivot on mine started creaking after a few months. The pivot bolt was torqued correctly, but just the simple act of turning the whole bolt stopped the creaking. I suppose I should get in there and grease it up since it seems there is no lube where two parts are moving, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

singletrail lover
    Just to be sure if nothing of the above helps: put a different rear wheel in and check if the noise is still there. My new Jekyll in 2001 had a strange noise, no idea where it came from. After a lot of searching, it was the rear hub creaking under power...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Noise when pedalling under load on Jekyll

I have the exact problem on my Jekyll , after check and crank , BB , turns out it was the main privot bearing nut was loose , a 5 mm allen key fixed the problem !

But you must tighen the nuts on both sides and you have to move the front deraillure away in order to do so .

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Similar noise as described got me searching a bit on my bike as well. Turned out one of the crank bolts was loose- problem solved. All quiet now.

mtbr member

Fixed the problem

I tightened up my rear swingarm pivot points and the creaking has gone away. I am really glad that it was not my rear shock and was an easy fix.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've owned a few Cannondale Mt bikes over the years and they'd all developed this re-occurring issue from time to time. As already suggested, first try lubing and tightening the various likely components from which the sound seems to be originating, but I've also come across such odd culprits as:
    -Dirt between the rear derailler hanger and frame.
    -Loose or dirty wheel skewer.
    -Loose handlebar clamp or stem.
    -Dirt in the rear brake hydrolic cable guides --as they support the cable along the frame--frame flex can make them pop.

Sometimes the toughest part--aside from discerning the source of the sound, as it echos throughout the big alum tubes as they flex minutely-- is actually believing that something so seemingly unconnected was the cause, once you've fixed it.