mtbr member
    Mar 2005

No good Crazy Paint Damage on F600!!

this is my friends Dale F600 in cool Sobe rep colour (not anymore)....what do u think he should do bout it? repaint it or claim for a cannondale warranty? will Cannondale repaint it or they just replace the frame? thanx!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i would absolutly contact cannondale about it

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah..definitely contact them about it..the paint seems to be flaking off.. that's weird...seems like the primer didn't do much...

mtbr member
    Defo warranty it.............thats just not right

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the same paint damage on my 10 year old F700. I´ve got it all around the headtube. It startet 5 years ago when i changed the fork and damaged the paint. The damage is svett (Hope it is the rigth word, for the fluids coming out of your body when pushing hard ) when this salty fluid penetrates your paint i reacts with the aluminum which start to corrode. It is not dangerous for your frame, just make your paintjob lock bad.

LA CHÈVRE
    Looks like some nasty chemicals contacted the area...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    IF they warranty it , it wont be Sobe again...
    But it does look like some chemical thing, like 'sweat' as was mentioned
    CDT

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Aluminosis

That problem has a name...(you may laugh because of the name) It's called "Aluminosis" which happens when the raw aluminum tubing doesn't have the proper anti-oxyde treatment before the paint job. Aluminum phosphate which is the aluminum oxydation process (a white color rust) appears between the aluminum surface and the paint, this reaction causes bubbles in the paint/clearcoat. None of this would happen if a coat of "wash primer" would be applied before the paint job. Wash primer is a product for preparing aluminum surfaces before painting, it creates a porous surface which avoids further aluminum oxydation and contributes to fix the paint coat to the aluminum so that it doesn't chip. Instead of using Wash primer Cannondale only prepares the aluminum surface by creating a rough surface for the paint to fix.
    Good News my friend...this is a Cannondale manufacturing error soy you have the right 100% to get a frame replacement, This is CANNOINDALE responsability 100%.

I have had the same problem once my local dealer ordered a set of road frames which all had the same exact issue, these frames were brand new and the paint was peeling off. Of course Cannondale replaced them all with no hesitation, so start choosong which hardtail 2007 frame you like best because you and all who have this issue deserve a frame replacement.

This is another proof that cannondale has a lot of work to do in the quality control department, shouldn't happen on a "HANDMADE IN USA" frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    contact to cannondale and explain, because I have a friend that he a similar case, and cannondale repainted the frame free.

mtbr member
    yeah, that looks like a strange oxidation, or something got under the paint before it got painted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Smile thanx!

thanx people for ur replies! ill ask him to ring cannondale or email them the photo bout that! thanx!
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Similar problem is a Rush

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his 06 Rush 1000. There was a sticker in the swingarm, and when he was cleaning off the sticker (a FSA sticker, btw), as he pulled it off, when it was almost all removed, the paint was just ripped off! Even the primer was removed, showing the raw aluminium surface. We stood still in awe, because we KNOW such a thing should NEVER happen on a Cannondale. Very strange. And now I see this thread on paint problems...

As we live in Brazil, warranty the frame should take months until it come back, so he decided to repaint the spot at very reliable motorcicle repairshop. The job was pretty much perfect and you can't see where the paint was ripped off, the paint job was incredibly even to the original.

Wonder how Cannondale misses these spots, making some parts of the paint so fragile. They have such a good quality control, and even the frames are hand made, they follow a very rigid quality standart. Well, they have a lifetime warranty for a reason!

mtbr member
    haven't you ever use a home trainer with your bike ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

na...

nope!
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)

mtbr member
    ok ! because i ever seen the same damage on a frame because of the sweat's salt !

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

hurm

yea i think that might be... thanx
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)