mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Crank upgrade question . . .

Hey guys, noob here, i have a 2011 flash 1 alloy and wanted to upgraded my cranks (i'm getting a ticking sound on hard pedalling) to sram x9 to match the rest of the x9 components. It came with the FSA Afterburner 386. I found the x9 crankset on sale at jenson for $110, which size would i need to get ? They have 175mm 26-39 or the 175mm 28-42 ? Everything else on the bike is stock. Is there anything i can do to upgrade the bb30 ? I have a constant ticking when pedalling hard with the left crank arm. Thanks in advance for your input guys !

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Could probably get ride of the tick/creak by taking the crank off and cleaning everythign.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Everything has been cleaned and re-installed... Full disclosure : I bought a 2011 flash 1 alloy and the day after i got it, it started to tick like crazy. I took it back to the lbs where i bought it and after taking it apart, greasing, cleaning, and changing out various components the ticking was still there. So after about 3 months of waiting, cannondale replaced the frame with an 2013 F29er. I went on three rides since getting the bike back and the awful ticking is back. I hate being without my bike so i wanted to see if i can trace the ticking down and came to the conclusion (not 100%) that it may be the bb30 or the crankset, hence the question of the post. Just the frame was replaced so Im thinking its one of the components that is making the ticking or THE WARRANTIED REPLACEMENT IS BAD ALSO ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gtforce1 View Post
    Everything has been cleaned and re-installed... Full disclosure : I bought a 2011 flash 1 alloy and the day after i got it, it started to tick like crazy. I took it back to the lbs where i bought it and after taking it apart, greasing, cleaning, and changing out various components the ticking was still there. So after about 3 months of waiting, cannondale replaced the frame with an 2013 F29er. I went on three rides since getting the bike back and the awful ticking is back. I hate being without my bike so i wanted to see if i can trace the ticking down and came to the conclusion (not 100%) that it may be the bb30 or the crankset, hence the question of the post. Just the frame was replaced so Im thinking its one of the components that is making the ticking or THE WARRANTIED REPLACEMENT IS BAD ALSO ?
    You need to find yourself a GOOD mechanic. Despite what's marketed to us, bikes are not rocket science.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good mechanic needed

Ticks and creeks have been part of Mountain biking since the beginning of time. I would continue to work with your dealer and let them track down the problem. If you want to be sure its the crank thats making the noise install that crank in a different bike and ride it. A good mechanic should be able to track it down fast. I would not replace the crank just because there is a noise because there is a good chance the noise is coming from somewhere else.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Happy Trails
    If you for a 13 carbon for an 11 alloy .... I'd live/love the tick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. Yes I understand what ppl are saying about the clicking but I wanted to upgrade the crank anyway with or without the clicking so I wanted to get sum feedback on the x9 crank and also the size of the chainrings 26-39. In the event that the clicking goes aways from upgrading the cranks, that would be icing on the cake !

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gtforce1 View Post
    I found the x9 crankset on sale at jenson for $110, which size would i need to get ? They have 175mm 26-39 or the 175mm 28-42 ? Everything else on the bike is stock. Is there anything i can do to upgrade the bb30 ?!
    I saw that crankset on Jensen. The FSA Afterburner is a BB30 crankset. The description on Jensen doesn't mention anything about BB30 for that crankset and if you zoom in on the displayed picture, it says GXP.
    Sram X.9 10 Speed Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Might want to check before purchasing anything.

I've got 175mm 26-39 on my Flash and for me, it's good at the places you ride.

JD
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    If you for a 13 carbon for an 11 alloy .... I'd live/love the tick.
    I would too, unfortunately it was a 2011 flash 1 alloy that got the replaced by 2013 F29 2. Difference between F29 1 and 2 frames are colors only. . . Everything else got swapped over from my flash 1 alloy.

Happy Trails
    39-26, and especially 26x36, is too tall for me on a 29er. I am currently riding 3x9 with 22x34 as my granny gear .... 26x36 is two gears harder than my current 22x34. I'd hold our for a 38x24 crank. I talked to the FSA customer support guy earlier this fall and there are about to be many more spider and chainring upgrades for 36x22 and 38x24 available with the 2013 model year now filling in at aftermarket availability .... So this may be worth waiting for if you do a lot of climbing.