mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Crank clearance issue

I have an 06 Rush 600 that has issues with the cranks nailing rocks while pedaling. Are these bikes known for lower pedal clearance compared to other bikes. I have the sag set up @ 15% of total travel and love the way it handles! My old bike (Trek Fuel 90) didn't have this problem on the same rock gardens.

I'm thinking about getting a shorter crank setup, maybe 165mm. What are the disadvantages of running shorter cranks? I can't imagine 1cm making a huge difference but thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks

Jeff

mtbr member
    you can put on bigger tires (I guess up to 2,5)

you can remove the big ring and put on a bashguard

you can go for a longer fork

crank length must be proportional to the body/legs size or you can pedal efficiently

cheers
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    I must say I'm with you on this......I'm also suffering from the same problem, to be honest it does make me more hesitant on the approach to unlevel areas.

Had a few strikes on the tips of the carbon cranks (ouch!). It just seems I need to adjust my riding style a little & level off with the crank arms on these sections out on the trails.
    I did read a review in a MTB magazine which highlighted the same potential issues, shame Still a great bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    To me this is teh one big downfall of the Rush. I probably run about 20-25% sag for faster decents through rock garden terrain and while I love the way the bike handles, teh pedals and crankarms hit EVERYTHING, even seemingly small rocks. I am getting used to leveling teh pedals more, but this is a huge PITA in all honesty. I think bigger tires may help a little. Anyone know of any good 2.3 tires that are a true 2.3 and that won't cause clearance problems?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Level Pedals

I need to learn how to ascend with my pedals level then all will be great.

I knew I couldn't be the only one with these issues. I guess this bike wasn't designed for this type of riding. Sure wish the salesman would have mentioned this when he was bragging about how much better this bike was than my old one.

I'm pretty new to mt. biking but have always assumed that increasing tire size was only the width, not the diameter. How much more circumference does a 2.3 tire have compared to a 2.1?

Thanks

Jeff

mtbr member
    You see, I ride a Prophet not a Rush. The fork is somewhat longer (140mm) but the rest is the same. Both bikes share the same swingarm that holds huge tires up to 60mm tall and 60mm wide. I run 2,5 IRC Trailbear tires with 59mm sidewall height. This way my wheels are as big as 29er wheels with normal tires. They are somewhat heavy (900grs) and produce tire squirming if you have standard rims. I as well have no big ring. I have no clearance issues even on huge rocks.

Tire specs on www.mtbtires.com

Maybe the Rush is not a rock garden bike at all? Carbon cranks on rock steps? Check out the C'dale catalogue and find a bike that fits you better. I ride a Prophet with Lefty Max it is pretty much good for everything.
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

He who follows his heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by jminn0311
    I have an 06 Rush 600 that has issues with the cranks nailing rocks while pedaling. Are these bikes known for lower pedal clearance compared to other bikes. I have the sag set up @ 15% of total travel and love the way it handles! My old bike (Trek Fuel 90) didn't have this problem on the same rock gardens.

I'm thinking about getting a shorter crank setup, maybe 165mm. What are the disadvantages of running shorter cranks? I can't imagine 1cm making a huge difference but thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks

Jeff
    Shorter (165mm) cranks I guess would make any cycling on flat/uphill more demanding due to more reps (because of the smaller crank length) compared to the 175mm.. Fiddling around with chainring sizes may improve this, but it's a bit like having a 24" rear wheel compared to a 26" inch wheel.

That said, I think a lot of downhillers use a 170 crank - if not shorter - as it gives better acceleration (as does a 24" real wheel) as well as better rock clearance (unlike the 24" rear wheel!).

I had 170mm cranks on my Bullit when I was into doing big and rocky things and I could clear areas of rocks that others could catch if caught unaware.

Regarding your specific enquiry regarding the Rush, sorry I can't be any help here other than get yourself an Uber V!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do......

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Common problem with rush, this was discussed here earlier, use search function.
    --
    happy trails
    redbyte