Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Cracked seat tube/top tube alloy flash:(

Well I found a crack. Sucks. Im 3 hours from the nearest dealer.

Seat post was always in the safe zone with abou an inch below the top tube. You can just about see the min insertion line through the relife in tye seatpost clamp. Winder if they will allow me to get a carbon frame for a fee.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What kind of time frame have you guys seen for replacements?

I have a trip to north carolina planned for march 8th. I dont know if I can get a new one by then.

No good in rock gardens..
    *crickets*
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Sweater
    I would expect 1-2 months depending on frame availability. That's what mine have taken and I've had 3 replacements.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, that will he pushing it for time. Atleast its still ridable worst case. Im not missing that trip.

Sent pictures tonthe dealer and let them have a look at the frame. And they said it is dependant on what frames, if any cannondale has. The dealer has seen them as quick as a week but I wont hold my breath.

Any one paid for a carbon upgrade? Would like to tell how much extra it cost?

Thanks.

Ridin' dirty!
    deleted post.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any one done the carbon upgrade? Want to share the price, or PM me.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can't offer info on the carbon swap, but my 2011 alloy Flash cracked in the identical place. Got a '13 replacement in under a month. FYI, a mechanic at my LBS kept the cracked frame, took it to a local master welder (works for a local NASCAR team), and patched the crack. He's still riding it today with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm hoping to keep the frame, I cant see Cannondale wanting it back. It the first bike that I bought.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski View Post
    I can't offer info on the carbon swap, but my 2011 alloy Flash cracked in the identical place. Got a '13 replacement in under a month. FYI, a mechanic at my LBS kept the cracked frame, took it to a local master welder (works for a local NASCAR team), and patched the crack. He's still riding it today with no issues.
    What color did they offer you? I bought the 2 cause I loved the look of it (budget too)
    Curious as to what Alloy only frame options they have. I have heard that a lot of the carbon cracked frames were replaced with the team colours. I have never seen a frame only alloy option before.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I'm hoping to keep the frame, I cant see Cannondale wanting it back. It the first bike that I bought.
    I've had two where they took the frame and one that they let me keep it. The last one is one I kept.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    2 weeks and im told that cannondale still hasnt got back to them. Not a good feeling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Over a month now and they havent sent it. They changing warehouses and they cant locate it. Booo. I'm running out of time for my trip.

They had a 12 alloy 1 black (i dont care about colour, I just want to ride my bike) over 2 weeks ago and said it was sent. Not sure how they goofed this one up.

Dealer had a left over carbon frame and offered me an insane deal on it but, I just cant afford it this time of year. Sucks.

Carbon scares me a bit as I only have one bike.

All in all, I'm at my end with this company. Lefty had been rebuilt twice under warranty and replaced with a new one all with in a year and now this. Cracks happen I wasnt upset by it. I really hope they pull through.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    I've seen more cracked aluminum frames than carbon, just saying. If you had the chance to steal a carbon frame for a low price I don't see how you can go wrong. Frankly I'd rather trust carbon over the aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's purely money at this point. My wife was even ok with it, just cant find a way to make it happen right now. Work has been slow and race season is coming up, license fees ect.

At least I think it was a good deal I've heard that a frame only is around 3G.

My concern with carbon is if I crack it in a crash, I wont be able to afford a crash replacement.

mtbr member
    Would have to be serious crash to crack the carbon frame. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is not as fragile as you may think it is. I used to race my Kestrel CSX and it has been through a lot and not one crack at all. I still have that bike and I am in no way worried about my Flash carbon at all.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    I'd say the lighter the frame, easier it cracks.
    If you're not after absolute lightest stuff, mid range frame such as Giant XTC will last long and be nice to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Ha, that's funny. Broke one of those before!

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by Marin (CRO) View Post
    I'd say the lighter the frame, easier it cracks.
    If you're not after absolute lightest stuff, mid range frame such as Giant XTC will last long and be nice to ride.
    You sure about that? I disagree, carbon can out strength alloy in many situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski View Post
    Im off to find a welder. The replacement wont be here in time. the new inventory system will not let them ship it out as a no charge item....sucks.

Im hoping it will last the 1 week im in N.C, after that I can wait for the replacment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    You sure about that? I disagree, carbon can out strength alloy in many situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I meant mid-range carbon frame.
    That's probably the best frame since it's lighter than alloy still and more compliant and not as ultra-light or expensive as pure race frame meaning it will last longer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Carbon vs Alu

Heres a Carbon Vs Alu testing by guys at Santa Cruz. Carbon aint as week as alu owners want to believe!

pbvid-243228.flv - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wow. Thats an impressive video! Although I can assume that the flash frame is a much lighter (maybe weaker) build.

Regardless,I picked up frame last week, cant wait to see how carbon feels.

Its a nice frame ended up taking over a pound off the final weight. It was a nice surprise at 20lbs on the mark.

When I held the frame I really couldn't comprehend that I would be flying down a hill with that between my legs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Wow. Thats an impressive video! Although I can assume that the flash frame is a much lighter (maybe weaker) build.

Regardless,I picked up frame last week, cant wait to see how carbon feels.

Its a nice frame ended up taking over a pound off the final weight. It was a nice surprise at 20lbs on the mark.

When I held the frame I really couldn't comprehend that I would be flying down a hill with that between my legs.
    Dude, seriously, you are way over thinking it. Your new frame will be fine. Think about race cars that are made with a carbon fiber monoque chassis. Those guys crash and they walk away. You are not going to have a problem with it.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Glad i listened. This frame is incredible!! Not only am I more confident on it descending, the pound I lost in weight is great on the climbs.

The first trail to break it in was in DuPont forest (ridge line) and not only was it second nature to me but I was doing things I had not done/couldnt do on my alloy frame.

Its so sharp, forgiving and soft at the same time. The trails in Pisgah do not lend well to a weight weenie hardtail but the fact that I made a couple top 10 spots on strava downhills said enough to me.

If it's held up to the thrashing here in N.C, it should be fine in my home trails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast