mtbr member
    Dec 2008

crack noise on Scalpel

Hi. My 2007 Scalpel is doing a cracking noise from the rear left chainstays...i saw some pictures of some scalpels that cracked on that same spot....so mine itīs for months i believe. The noise is really nerve-racking as i canīt found the exact spot from where itīs coming. When climbing noise gets louder that everyone looks at me not because of the beautiful bike but because it looks itīs going to crack!
    I will have to go to my LBS to check for warranty...a shame as i do love my frame ....pffff

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi I had the same thing on my 2010 Scalpel, I would be riding along and a loud cracking noise would sound from the left hand side of the bike. If you held on to either of the rear stays you could actually feel it. Fine on the flat but as soon as I went off road there it was.
    Took mine back to my LBS who could not find anything wrong with the bike at all, ended up changing the bearings and link just in case something was not seated correctly.

When I got the bike back the noise was still there!!! The LBS was stumped, and I was scared and annoyed!

It is very easy to instantly blame the frame in situations like this, but my noise was actually a really easy fix!!

When you get five mins remove the rear disc brake calliper from the frame, grease the surfaces which come into contact with the frame and also grease the bolts, (use thread lock on bolts if you like) make sure they are done up to the correct torque.

Fingers crossed this will fix yours too, let me know how you get on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks mate but it didnīt work iīll check the problem at the Daleīs dealer

mtbr member
    hi,have you inspected the chainstays and nothing ?lube bolts and all possible parts ,noise comes from chainstays sure ?possible to come from the alloy parts bonded to carbon ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    that cracking sound coming from your frame is the sound of your frame cracking.

I hope that helps.

LA CHČVRE
    Cracking noise can come from a pedal, BB, saddle, seatpost, brakes and many other things... Dirty threads, torque not to specs... Sometimes, cleaning, re-lubing and tightening parts can solve mysterious creaks and cracking sounds... Your dealer should find the issue though.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Tool
    I am hoping that it is something other than your frame.

That having been said, when my third Scalpel failed, it was the bond between the chainstay and the BB (also had one fail between the chainstay and rear dropout). The bonding failures were tough to see because of how tightly the two parts fit together. It was easier to spot by putting a foot on the rear wheel and pulling up on the seat.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    the cracking noise came to life 2 months ago. i took it to my lbs and we inpected seatpost..i even rode it without seatpost to get sure...took out the pedals and the noise was still there. then he came with the idea that it could be the chainstays. He dismounted the rear triangle and re-lubed every link. Sound wasnīt there when i picked it up but a week later there it was again. A month ago iīve changed rear disc, pads, cassette and quickrelease..noise still there tho. Iīm just frustrated! In 15 days iīll go to a Cannondale dealer to check it up and then i will feedback

Tool
    Without a good idea of the exact sound you're hearing, is there a chance it could be one of the cables slapping the seat stay?
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Also remove the derailleur hanger, clean and put some grease on the parts that touch the frame and then reinstall with correct torque.

Ridin' dirty!
    I guess the op just posted the answer to the issue himself.....if the shop lubed all the bearings in the linkage and the noise was gone for a week or so it's definitely an adjustment/maintenance issue......
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    yep..i tought that too but after regreasing all links, noise appeared again...after a total check up i just rode 2 sunday morning and there it was back again!
    does that mean i have to lubrificat every 15days linkage and bearings?...pffff
    plus the noise seems to come from the point where the carbon chainstays meet the aluminium...right next to the rear quickrelease.
    some people are suggesting me that itīs the swingarm no doubts...

Ridin' dirty!
    Bring it back to the shop where you purchased it and have them figure out what the issue is....maybe they need to replace all the bearings and then use proper loc-tite, lube and torque specs.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

LA CHČVRE
    It points to worn bearings/bushings IMO....

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

...a wiggle theres a way
    One more thing you may want to check is the rear wheel, check to make sure that the inner nuts are tight. If they are loose it will cause the Squeaking you've described.

This was the cause of my squeak (I rebuilt the frog link with new bushings, greased bearings, tightened derailleur hanger) and come to find out it was just the inner nuts on my wheel.

Hope this helps and is the cause of your squeak

joe

I CANondale
    My 2010er started to make a cracking noise some days ago - all moving parts were oiled but nothing was better - finally the mechanic found the issue - bondage between BB and chainstays.
    Has finally got his Si Sl crank with green bolts ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My 2008 scalpel made a cracking noise aswell, louder when I went offroad, I suspected the rear shock, had it checked and serviced, two weeks later the same thing again, until one moment a big louder crack and the rear suspension sagged completely, when I checked, the mounting point with which the rear shock was mounted to the horizontal tube came out of the frame... it seems to be a bonding issue there, glue cam completely apart, but since it was not only glued to the frame, but also had two rivets, it had been cracking for weeks on, probably the glue already came apart weeks before and the rivets started to make their way out of the frame... Even on cleaining the bike before I could not see that it was coming loose... that was the explanation for my cracking scalpel noise...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    went to the shop they are trying to activate warranty!
    Last edited by Ginbraiba; 04-23-2011 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    try re-torquing your chainring bolts.