Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Convince me. Jekyll or upgrade?

Allright, I have been riding for a long time and love my 2001 Jekyll, but am planning an all out assault on 2008. I am planning a few ultra mtb races and 24 hour races this year, and I don't plan to win these races but compete. I stick to an all mountain because I have a bmx background and tend to be a bit aggressive so I have stayed away from a scalpel.

Here's my dilemna/question:

My jekyll is a large (I'd be a bit more comfortable on a medium), so do I just use my current jekyll, or do I

1. buy a medium jekyll frame off of ebay, or

2. buy a prophet frame and new lefty and build it up with my components?

3. buy a rush frame and new lefty and build it up with my components?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    From a fellow jekyll owner and '07 Scalpel owner I would vote option 3.
    you'll like a rush better than a prophet, they climb much better and have a lower centre of gravity feel, never really a massive prophet fan, plus no lockout on the lefty max if you can still get one.
    If you have the money, rock the new scalpel!

mtbr member
    4. buy a 99 super v frame (least modifications necessary) and build an uber v. 150mm of rear travel and some of the uber riders have builds under 30 lbs.

Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!

Ridin' dirty!
    I've seen a nice Jeckyll frame on eBay that went for $200.-
    for $300.- more you can get a Prophet frame but building it up will be more expensive than to just buy a "whole" prophet and upgrade as you go along.
    I'd say go for the Prophet if you can afford it, if not stick with the Jeckyl and upgrade the rear shock.
    The Prophet is Ideal for aggressive riders, and since you have the BMX background it'll be better than a Rush or the new Scalpel that definitely NOT be an option for you, since it's a CC only race machine....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    I've seen a nice Jeckyll frame on eBay that went for $200.-
    for $300.- more you can get a Prophet frame but building it up will be more expensive than to just buy a "whole" prophet and upgrade as you go along.
    I'd say go for the Prophet if you can afford it, if not stick with the Jeckyl and upgrade the rear shock.
    The Prophet is Ideal for aggressive riders, and since you have the BMX background it'll be better than a Rush or the new Scalpel that definitely NOT be an option for you, since it's a CC only race machine....

What are my upgrading options for the shock on my Jekyll? I know I can have it pushed, but any other options? I think the options are limited as the shock is threaded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuengling
    What are my upgrading options for the shock on my Jekyll? I know I can have it pushed, but any other options? I think the options are limited as the shock is threaded.
    hence option # 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    hence option # 4
    If hes racing, he wont want to ride a big beefy frame like that. If I were you I would wait until the mid '08's are released, theres a rumor that the Rush will get upped to around 110-120mm of travel. With your BMX background, stay away from the new scalpel, its strictly a race bike. The prophet is a great bike, but if you want a lefty you would need to get the beefy 4.35 lb lefty max to keep the geometry correct. The Prophet is most likley the most versitile because of the adjustability of the rear suspension, FR and XC positions. The FR changes the headtube to 67.5 degrees, better for drops and aggressive trail. The XC position puts the headtube at 69 degrees, better for the XC racing that you said you will be doing. A downside to the prophet is its astronimical weight, the Prophet 4 (midline) comes in at over 30 lbs, this is no race bike! I think you would be happy with the current Rush 4, or wait until the mid '08's come out. If you are going to wait for mid '08 make sure to check out the new Prophet, its gonna be sick.(New Cannondales to be released soon...) there are a bunch of pics, you can kinda see the bike!

The Rush is a nice bike for just about anything other than DHing and Extreme FR. The Rush also wont break the bank, more $$ for new parts! I love My Rush, its a light bike for the spec's and a fast-tracker. I have raced a few races on mine and love it!

Prophet Suspension Pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ridin' dirty!
    Keep an eye on eBay for a manitou swinger 3 way shock. That'll eliminate the suspension bob. Or get the stock shock push'd. Top of the line Jeckylls came equipped with the Swinger shock.
    Since the Jeckyll is the AM rig before the Prophet and you were happy with it I'd either stick with a Jeckyll or get a Prophet.
    After all you said you're not in it to win it so I'd rather see you on a bomb proof frame that can take real abuse and the Rush or Scalpel just aren't in that category....
    Uber V is okay if you already have a Super and want to mess around with it...other than than it'll be to awkward as far as wheelbase and handling goes.
    If you take the Uber for short aggressive rides they're okay but I wouldn't want to sit on one and ride it for more that 2 hrs.

Ridin' dirty!
    By the way: You don't "Have to" get the "heavy" Lefty Max fork in order to keep the geometry right.
    See in Europe they have the Prophet SL, same frame like in the USA only with a 190mm shock instead of the US 200mm shock and a short travel Lefty Max called the SL.
    So, you can get the same geometry like the Rush, with a stronger frame and just use a 2008 Lefty, since they all have 110mm and you are all set!

mtbr member
    Keep an eye on eBay for a manitou swinger 3 way shock. That'll eliminate the suspension bob. Or get the stock shock push'd. Top of the line Jeckylls came equipped with the Swinger shock.
    Since the Jeckyll is the AM rig before the Prophet and you were happy with it I'd either stick with a Jeckyll or get a Prophet.
    After all you said you're not in it to win it so I'd rather see you on a bomb proof frame that can take real abuse and the Rush or Scalpel just aren't in that category....
    Uber V is okay if you already have a Super and want to mess around with it...other than than it'll be to awkward as far as wheelbase and handling goes.
    If you take the Uber for short aggressive rides they're okay but I wouldn't want to sit on one and ride it for more that 2 hrs.

Thanks for all the recommendations....I think I'll watch for a jekyll manitou swinger on ebay to upgrade.

got the dhr...
    i think you allready made a decision, but i say get either a new rush or prophet, i have a prophet, and im gonna be doing xc races on it for the next 5 years, so i say a prophet would probably be good, but a rush is much lighter. if you wanna stick with a jeykll, and save some $$, then go for it though. good luck

mtbr member
    I think I'll watch for a jekyll manitou swinger on ebay to upgrade.
    You won't find a manitou shock to fit that model year. The Swingers were only available for the '03 and later (135 mm) Jekyll's.

Hey cdalemaniac, What fork and rear shock are you using on your Uber V?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    You won't find a manitou shock to fit that model year. The Swingers were only available for the '03 and later (135 mm) Jekyll's.

Thanks - I guess it will be off to push industries for an overhaul. Appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If had both bikes. I had the Jekyll 1000 with a swinger 3 and now I have the Prophet 4x team with a swinger 4. I hated the Jekyll the swinger 3 wasn't progressive enough. It would blow through the travel on high speed dips and fast corners. The Swinger 4 can be adjusted to stop that BS. The problem is you are very limited to the shocks for the Jekyll and a single pivot bike is dependent on the shock to control the progressiveness. It was a problem for me but if it doesn't bother you, the Jekyll has bottle cage bosses...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmills416
    the Jekyll has bottle cage bosses...
    ....and?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ....and?
    It was a joke.....The Jekyll doesn't hold a candle to the prophet. Step off the wallet and buy something newer that can utilize newer shock technology.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmills416
    It was a joke.....The Jekyll doesn't hold a candle to the prophet. Step off the wallet and buy something newer that can utilize newer shock technology.
    Hey, thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'd ditch the Jekyll all together; it was a great bike then however either the Prophet or Rush will provide for much more positive and competitive performance. I own a Prophet X and love it; while it is certainly not a competition bike at nearly 30lbs. with a FOX 36, it takes the big hits well and climbs rather efficiently for an Enduro bike. If what you are looking to do is race, I see no other option than a Cannondale Rush; it is light stiff and fast...it will climb like nothing else and be rather absorbent and controllable on the descents. For a 4" travel bike, I find the Rush to be one of the most versatile bikes available. Considering your big hit background, you may make better use of a Prophet at 5.5". It will certainly be slower uphill than the Rush but will be more fun on the descent. I see the Prophet as more of a consumer, recreational bike; it is perfect for nearly every situation except racing. If you want a race bike, get a Rush however, if you want something you can have a lot of fun with beyond the race season, consider the Prophet. Either way, the revised suspension design and modern pedaling platforms will be more than a step up when compared to your Jekyll.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesofsmyles
    I'd ditch the Jekyll all together; it was a great bike then however either the Prophet or Rush will provide for much more positive and competitive performance. I own a Prophet X and love it; while it is certainly not a competition bike at nearly 30lbs. with a FOX 36, it takes the big hits well and climbs rather efficiently for an Enduro bike. If what you are looking to do is race, I see no other option than a Cannondale Rush; it is light stiff and fast...it will climb like nothing else and be rather absorbent and controllable on the descents. For a 4" travel bike, I find the Rush to be one of the most versatile bikes available. Considering your big hit background, you may make better use of a Prophet at 5.5". It will certainly be slower uphill than the Rush but will be more fun on the descent. I see the Prophet as more of a consumer, recreational bike; it is perfect for nearly every situation except racing. If you want a race bike, get a Rush however, if you want something you can have a lot of fun with beyond the race season, consider the Prophet. Either way, the revised suspension design and modern pedaling platforms will be more than a step up when compared to your Jekyll.

Ridin' dirty!

I never made mine an Uber V.
    I just tried a 190mm shock and the handling was too weird...so I installed a standard 165mm shock and installed a Sherman fork...but again...weird handling.
    So I finally got rid of my Super V and kept the Sherman fork and the parts for my first Prophet project.
    The first Prophet frame (purchased on eBay for only $380.-!!!) was too big, so I bought another Prophet at my local bike shop, swapped all the parts and now I'm happy.
    Here are some pics of my Super V which in the shown set-up was one bas a$$ ride but heavy....but who cares as long as it can take some abuse

mtbr member
    I never made mine an Uber V.
    I just tried a 190mm shock and the handling was too weird...so I installed a standard 165mm shock and installed a Sherman fork...but again...weird handling.
    So you've never actually ridden an Uber V?

Ridin' dirty!
    So you've never actually ridden an Uber V?
    Yeah I did...but you asked me what shock I used on mine
    I helped my Buddy build an Uber....that's why I know how they handle...
    Or shall I say 0.5 Uber V because we didn't replace the SL swing arm with a caad one to mount a 190mm shock....
    Here's the pic of my Buddies finished "0.5 Uber V" which already has a really twitchy like handling so it'll be worse as a "Full Uber" since the wheelbase would be even shorter........
    Anyways....what I'm trying to say is that's okay to mod your bike like that but it's not an option if you want to race...Uber V's are simply "fun bikes" that's it...
    If the "Uber V" mod was the way to go, then cannondale wouldn't had a totally different swingarm on the SV4000.....

mtbr member
    I helped my Buddy build an Uber....that's why I know how they handle...
    Or shall I say 0.5 Uber V because we didn't replace the SL swing arm with a caad one to mount a 190mm shock....
    Here's the pic of my Buddies finished "0.5 Uber V" which already has a really twitchy like handling so it'll be worse as a "Full Uber" since the wheelbase would be even shorter........
    You really don't know what you're talking about. That is no Uber. Of course it's twitchy with that swingarm. If you change the shock without the other mods you end up with a ridiculously steep HT angle. In this case, the HT angle is about three degrees steeper than an Uber V. Besides, the wheelbase would actually lengthen with the proper swingarm. Right now your buddy has the rear wheel pushed down and forward. The thing must ride like ass. It effectively has road bike geometry with a really tall BB.
    Anyways....what I'm trying to say is that's okay to mod your bike like that but it's not an option if you want to race...Uber V's are simply "fun bikes" that's it...
    So you've never actually ridden an Uber V but you seem to know how it would perform at a race. So you've seen one at a race? I didn't think so. I have and the performance was very impressive. It was especially satisfying to watch the poor humbled saps on their 29ers and super-light race bikes.

If the "Uber V" mod was the way to go, then cannondale wouldn't had a totally different swingarm on the SV4000.....
    You give them way too much credit. They had not yet invented the swingarm we use until the development of the Jekyll. And they started spec'ing all SVs with the Jekyll swingarms beginning in 2000. Take a look at the catalogs on www.vintagecannondale.com.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Smile

Ignore this "Myles" kid. He's a character and will get run over by a car just to prove a point...While the Rush is a major upgrade in comparison to the Jekyll, it doesn't change the fact that Cannondale is not hand made enough and two are always better than one, case in point, the lefty. Be smart, use your brain, just like Specialized does...

Ridin' dirty!
    You really don't know what you're talking about. That is no Uber. Of course it's twitchy with that swingarm. If you change the shock without the other mods you end up with a ridiculously steep HT angle. In this case, the HT angle is about three degrees steeper than an Uber V. Besides, the wheelbase would actually lengthen with the proper swingarm. Right now your buddy has the rear wheel pushed down and forward. The thing must ride like ass. It effectively has road bike geometry with a really tall BB.

So you've never actually ridden an Uber V but you seem to know how it would perform at a race. So you've seen one at a race? I didn't think so. I have and the performance was very impressive. It was especially satisfying to watch the poor humbled saps on their 29ers and super-light race bikes.

You give them way too much credit. They had not yet invented the swingarm we use until the development of the Jekyll. And they started spec'ing all SVs with the Jekyll swingarms beginning in 2000. Take a look at the catalogs on www.vintagecannondale.com.
    Goosh!!!
    Have you seen the swing arm on my old Vee??? Yes??? then you probably know, that it's The upgraded one you always talk about....
    Have you read where i said I tried a longer shock on mine???? Yes, okay...then I tell you a modified Super vee rides like a$$!
    The Uber V is moded beyond the point of the Super V with the Caad swingarm, cause i believe they used a 165mm shock, right?
    So, i don't give a rats a$$ about you defending an Uber V like it's the best thing that ever happened because it rides like said before "like a$$" especially with a longer travel fork!
    The tabs were cut on my Buddies super V simply to accommodate the longer shock, so the rear wheel is not pushed down and forward because the way the swing arm is made you can't do that!
    And just because I might see one person with a folding bIke at a race doesn't mean it's the way to go!
    I know that the Uber Vee community is pretty large, but I don't believe it's a worthy racebike.
    AND ON TOP OF THAT YOU'RE WAY OFF THE SUBJECT HERE ANYWAYS!
    IT'S LIKE ME GOING TO A SPECIALIZED THREAD AND JUST SAY: HMM GO FOR OPTION 4 AND BUY A CANNONDALE....
    WHY WOULD SOMEONE SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY FOR AN OUTDATED DESIGN?
    IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A SUPER VEE, FINE GO WITH THE MOD BUT THE GUY WAS ASKING FOR ADVICE AND YOU TELL HIM TO:
    -BUY A SUPER VEE
    -BUY A CAAD SWINGARM
    -BUY A NEW SHOCK
    -BUY A NEW FORK
    -BUY.....THAT'S MORE EXPENSIVE THAN TO SIMPLY BUY A RUSH FRAME FOR GOD'S SAKE......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast