You can do it...Come on

Converting OLD headshock to Tripple crown or Regular Shock Questions

My roommate picked up an older Cannondale Dual suspension bike and the headshock is leaking . He wants more travel and we throught about putting on a new (USED) tripple crown or whatever from Ebay.

Whats the best way to do this?

Ive read about getting a cane creek headset adapter and then picking up a regular fork.

I was wondering if I could get a 1.5 steer tube fork and just swap it in place of the current headshock?

Thanks
    Brian

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flexlarson
    My roommate picked up an older Cannondale Dual suspension bike and the headshock is leaking . He wants more travel and we throught about putting on a new (USED) tripple crown or whatever from Ebay.

Whats the best way to do this?

Ive read about getting a cane creek headset adapter and then picking up a regular fork.

I was wondering if I could get a 1.5 steer tube fork and just swap it in place of the current headshock?

Thanks
    Brian

You're in a bad spot. Issue is, as that point in time, they did not mill the headtube deep enough, so it is not compatible with the as of that time, un-created 1.5 standard. You could get it milled, if you have a pal at a machine shop, and a few six packs, otherwise, just put any of the various model year Leftys on, as the traditional Cannondale headset cups, and bearings, will work flawlessly! There are adaptors out there from that time, but they are hard to come by, and since there are several types, you'd want to be very certain it would work for your frame.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Aren't there a Cane Creek 1.5 to 1.125" headset that is shorter? I'm not sure...

Other issue is, the frame has a fork length limit, put too tall of a fork up there and you are asking for trouble. If by triple crown you mean a long travel DH fork, I'm pretty sure it's not safe to use... What frame is it? You can consult this to know the limit of the frame.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :