Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Convert Separate Lefty Stem/Steerer Tube to Integrated Stem?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dormilon 
#1 ·
I have a Lefty equipped Prophet with a separate stem and steerer tube. The cockpit is currently set up just right for me.
Is it worth it to switch from the separate steerer/stem to the integrated stem?
I'd be keeping the exact same stem specs.

Are there any compelling reasons to switch other than saving a few grams in weight?
Any reasons I should stay with separate steerer/stem?
Am I wasting my time?

I have a chance to buy an integrated stem for about the same amount I could get by selling my current stem, so cost-wise it should be net neutral.

Your thoughts, comments and feedback are much appreciated.
Thank you.

#3 ·
If your Lefty is the carbon version with bonded clamps, you should be able to use the 1 pc stem. If it's the alloy version, no go! The lower clamp is also the steerer tube.

#5 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
They cost a boatload, require a special tool for easy install and removal, and save so little weight, I'd think you could fart and save more :D
Hello,

Excuse my english comprehension (and this time, google's transletor don't help too much ;) ).

I have a 2008 Rush 5 with Lefty (110 DLR Speed Al) and I'm in the same case than SOC. My usual bike shop, advised my to change my current system (normal stem) to integrate system when I ask for a HOPE stem.

What I understand about all your ansewr is that is not better the integrate system, is this correct?

Thank you very much and again, apologies my english.

PRM

PD: Be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.