mtbr member
    Jul 2005

convert lefty/scalpel to regular fork?

I know I'll get flamed for this, but how would one convert a scalpel to take a regular fork? I suspect it would take some custom headset? I just don't like the lefty for the area I ride....

LA CHÈVRE
    [SIZE="7"]BURN![/SIZE]

Okay, okay, I don't get it but we are all different. All you need is a Headshok/Lefty/OnePointFive to 1.125" reducing headset. I know FSA and E.13 make some but some others do too I suspect.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Get yourself a Fatty. (:

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

I'll

trade you the complete setup with a mani Black elite for your Lefty!
    I got adapters from my LBS to convert the cannondale headset to fit any crown race.

mtbr member
    Cane Creek makes a reducing headset as well (around $90 I think). As Dan mentioned, FSA also makes several models from about $30 - $80. Though a couple of them are made more for downhill bikes, so super tough but super heavy.

A Fatty on a Scalpel would be phat though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Cane Creek model is the Double XC Short. Your LBS can order one from QBP or one of those guys. I have one on my old Jekyll

mad aussie
    Is there a specific issue with the Lefty? When I first started riding one I found it to be extremely harsh over the small hits which was fatiguing over longer rides. The main issue was that it was overdamped for my weight. The Lefty is actually quite tunable, you can change oil weights in the cartridge, change the number of shims on the damping rod and change the negative spring. I went to less shims and a lighter negative spring and it made a huge difference in the fork.

Kevin

mtbr member
    i second the fatty. i love the scalpel, but the feel of the bike is not for a lefty. and i love leftys. but the fatty is perfect for that bike. no cup change needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    can creek and fsa both make reducer headsets. Cannondale has used both on their low end hardtails with regular dual crown forks.