mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Convert 80mm / 29er Lefty to 110mm?

I have a 29er / 80mm Lefty DLR2 that I'd like to convert to a "standard" 110mm DLR2.

I know I have to take out the 3 10mm spacers. That's half of the equation. The other half is the air piston spacer. I know that this is a different legnth.

I know the 110mm -> 80mm kits contains the spacers and two air piston spacers... one for DLR2's and one for SLs. So I guess I'm looking for the 'kit' to go in the opposite direction.

Part # would be very helpful.

unemployed team mechanic
    May 2008
    you can cut the air piston spacer down with a tubing cutter. im guessing an alloy DLR2? im not sure of the length off the top of my head, but you can "tune" the airspring by the length of that spacer, the longer the spacer, the more progressive the spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I may be way off, but I thought its 80mm of travel to prevent the wheel from hitting the bottom of the steerer tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Pabst
    you can cut the air piston spacer down with a tubing cutter. im guessing an alloy DLR2? im not sure of the length off the top of my head, but you can "tune" the airspring by the length of that spacer, the longer the spacer, the more progressive the spring.
    Yes, alloy DLR2. I have a couple of other DLR2's that I can use to get the exact legnth. A tube cutter is an easy enough solution. As always, thanks much Captain Pabst.

unemployed team mechanic
    May 2008
    yeah this would only be for using it with a 26" tire and 110mm travel.

Ground Pounder
    I know this is an old thread, but I figured I could save some people some time...

The air chamber spacer for a DLR2 110 (setup for 26in wheels) is 92mm on my '07 bonded DLR2 110.

I'm going about the 29 to 26in myself and it seems that the proper spacer may not be an order-able item. Tuber cutter it may have to be. Whee!
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.