mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Convert 1999 F700 to 1.8 fork

I am wanting to convert my F700 to a standard 1.8 fork(my headshoc is froze up) . I would like to do it as cheaply as I can because money is tight.
    will these work for my year and make.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...71&category=99

Also , will any standard headset work with the adapters?

Also would this be a better bet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...id=p2759.l1259

seems like this may be the simplest approach, because I think you use your old 1.5 bearings and races.

any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

James

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Although I did not get any replies, I have figured out the best course of action (I hope)

Thanks to anyone who thought of helping.

rebelssof@yahoo.com
    first off you said standard 1.8 fork . did you actually mean that you would like to run a standard 1 1/8" fork if so the first adapter looks like your best bet as you can just run a standard 1 1/8" headset and fork instead of trying to reuse your old headset bearings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks rebel for the reply...would I not need to change out the races if I used the adapter? I don't want to have to go to a LBS and pay them since I do not have some of the tools they recommend using for changing the cups.
    It seems like in the second choice you would just leave all that in place and slide the new fork in.

rebelssof@yahoo.com
    The first adapter would require removal of the original headset races and the you would use standard stuff like the 1 1/8" headset and if you go with the other option the you would still use the OE headset and bearing, which in my opinion would not be the preferred method but then that is just my opinion. In the end it's not a big deal as either one will work and you have to decide which one is better for you.