mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Confused on Lefty travel length...

Hello,

Anyone who can help me figure this one out?

I have a 2006 Prophet SL 1000 with a Lefty DLR. The 2006 Prophet SL's range offers different Lefty options, 1000 comes with a DLR, the 3000 with a Lefty Max. Both are labelled to have 120mm of travel.

As far as I'm aware the stock DLR and DLR2 both have 110mm of travel and the Lefty Max's all have 140mm. So, does C'dale fool around with the geometry of the Prophet SL and offer either 110 or 140 mm, or is is possible to tune a DLR and Max to 120 mm travel? I figure it should be the last, as I'v seen some posts on this forum mentioning the DLR2 or SL tuned to 80mm.

Reason for asking is that a Lefty SL tuned to 120 (or more?) sounds very appaling to me. Or maybe the anticipated 2008 Lefty with TA?

Any clues are appriciated.

And just for your viewing pleasure, a pic of my SL is enclosed.

Jowan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jowan; 06-07-2007 at 01:02 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    You can limit travel but you cannot stretch it. A Lefty Speed can't have more than 110mm but can be modified to have less.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Sue them...

So my Lefty DLR labelled 120 mm is not capable of having that travel? It's just 110? Lets sue them ...

Dan, you say downgrading is possible, does that alter only the travel or the entire length of the Lefty. If only travel, the SL 1000 and 3000 should have a different geometry due to different fork length.

I think it would be hard to notice 10mm difference, but then take into account that the rear travel is also claimed to be 120 mm, when in fact is was last tested by a rennomated German Bike Magazine to have 140mm. Makes you think....

Anyway, I love the ride of my Prophet.

J

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, I don't know about a DLR 120, they are not available here but I would guess that Cannondale modified the 110mm version to really have 120mm specifically for the Prophet SL. Reducing travel doesn't shorten the Lefty, just makes it's range of motion shorter so it doesn't change the bike's geometry.

As for the rear travel, the Prophet SL frame is the exact same as a standard Prophet, they only use different shock that makes it a 120mm travel bike, if I were to put my Prophet's shock on your SL, it would have 140mm.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Stock build hight?

I've searched the C'dale site, but could not find any info on the build hight of the stock DLR, DLR2 or Max Lefty's.

I've compared the build hight of the DLR in my Prophet SL to that of the DLR2 in my GF's Carbon Rush 3, the DLR is about 3 cm longer. I've not included the top cap in the measurement, as they seem to differ somewhat in length.

So that would point to C'dale making specific Lefty's for the Prophet SL series. Might also be the clue to no longer offering the Lefty's on the 2007 SL range, might be to expensive.

Now that leave's me with the question of being able to savely upgrade to a Lefty carbon speed SL. If it has the same height as the DLR2, it might affect the geometry of my Prophet SL to much.

Any thoughts anyone?

Jowan