Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

... and if we just ... Confessions of a Cannondale heretic

I just recently installed a Rock Shox Reba Team on my Scalpel in place of my Headshok. I must admit that the performance is much better and I didn't spend $600 on a lefty, plus I can use my rack without buying a new tray. Additionally, I put a riser bar on with splendid results. It's still light and stiff, but it more pleasant to ride over long distances.

At any rate, I just wanted to break the silence for others who love their Cannondale frames but can't bear to put a Lefty on.

mtbr member
    Shun the non-believer! Shunnn!!! Shuuuunnnn!!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Love The Lefty!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

mtbr member
    No fork on the market has the moto feel of a lefty Unless you put a heavy downhill fo on it. That Rush looks good except for the fork. You should sell it and buy a Trek or Specialized. It should be a crime to waste an oversized headtube on a POS fork like that. Unless that's all the money you have, then you have an excuse. But don't try to bring everyone else down because of your budget.

Huge Tracts of Land
    that's a bit harsh dude?

whilst I agree with your sentiments, it's his/her bike and can do anything they like with it

Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

7hz
    Old newbie
    LOL

Nice downgrade!

I guess you get what you pay for / want. A 115mm travel fork is bound to feel 'nicer' than a tight 80mm, but it is heavier and not as rigid.

Its horses for courses - I want a light and rigid bike, and don't care too much for suspension (hence hardtail w headshok), a lot of other people prefer that saggy spongy full sus long travel plush feeling, and that is fine as well.

mtbr member
    I like the looks of the Reba on your bike. I like leftys to but most important is that you like the feel of the suspension on your bike. I don't buy based on brand name loyalty.
    I have a bonded dlr2 which I think is a pretty good xc front suspension but pretty crappy at bigger hits. I'm not afraid the lefty will snap but the increase in air pressure that I need to load for bigger air makes it loose all suppleness and does not soak up the hit smoothly or evenly. For that amount of travel if I want plush for bigger hits I use a 07 Marz dj2. Which is not as sensative to terrain as the lefty with normal air pressure in it. They are however designed for different purposes.
    Those are some of the trade offs - have more then one fork!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rumshcawheely
    No fork on the market has the moto feel of a lefty Unless you put a heavy downhill fo on it. That Rush looks good except for the fork. You should sell it and buy a Trek or Specialized. It should be a crime to waste an oversized headtube on a POS fork like that. Unless that's all the money you have, then you have an excuse. But don't try to bring everyone else down because of your budget.
    there's two types of people i really can't stand - *******s and gear snobs. you appear to be both.

mtbr member
    anyway, don't worry about what others think. just ride it and have fun. i've got a fox vanilla on my uber v.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Preach it buddy!

Wow, you lefty fanboys are something else.

mtbr member
    OK OK That was too far on that one. It's just that the lefty fork, when properly set up, has feel to it that is much similar to alot of forks that have much more travel and much more weight. It doesn't feel flexy like a SID. As for the ******* comment. I can be from time to time but aren't we all?? Gear shob absolutely NOT however. It's all about what works good and what doesn't work good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    OK OK That was too far on that one. It's just that the lefty fork, when properly set up, has feel to it that is much similar to alot of forks that have much more travel and much more weight. It doesn't feel flexy like a SID. As for the ******* comment. I can be from time to time but aren't we all?? Gear shob absolutely NOT however. It's all about what works good and what doesn't work good.
    My fork (fox f120 RL) is 3.56lbs at 120mm travel. The entry level lefty is 3.83lbs at 110mm travel.

mad aussie
    Hey folks, they are bike parts, not life and death decisions. If somebody wants to run a Softride suspension stem on their Scalpel with a rigid fork and they like it its cool with me. I really like my Rush, carbon lefty and all, but dont think I wouldnt change to something else if the sponsorship was there.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Right, you keeping thinking all of that.

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006
    i am lefty since 1999, and I cannot ride my bike without it!

You get your money back when the people stops you on the streets because of that!!

ciao

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by michelefiorentin
    i am lefty since 1999, and I cannot ride my bike without it!

You get your money back when the people stops you on the streets because of that!!

ciao
    You should ride your Lefty on the trails, not the streets!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You should ride your Lefty on the trails, not the streets!
    Your lefty logic is flawed! Although trails are more fun in terms of riding, there are far more ladies on the road to admire the torrisional stiffness and girth of the one legged apparatus! Therefore some time should be spent on the road as well.

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006

Smile poser is bad??

well, i do ride on the wild, but I cannot belive that any of the lefty riders don't enjoy the extra esoteric looking in order to attract people (maybe chicks ) and gather kids attention.

functionally speaking i believe that the system is worth and I am a mechanical engineer, so hands down!!
    In any case there are a bunch of cheaper options but as told it's like put cheap tissue seats on a maserati or Ferrari!!

ciao dan (if you visit south of italy drop a pm I can show our trails!)

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by jager251
    Your lefty logic is flawed! Although trails are more fun in terms of riding, there are far more ladies on the road to admire the torrisional stiffness and girth of the one legged apparatus! Therefore some time should be spent on the road as well.
    Funny

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think its funny that the number 1 piece of advice given to those looking to buy a new bike is "buy the one that feels the best" but when it comes down to which suspension system is the best, there's "only one answer".

LA CHÈVRE
    Because only one suspension system feels the best!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

mtbr member
    There must be people biting their foreheads because of the Jan.08 MBA review on the Rush 3z, specially regarding the Si cranks. Well, not anyone feels like the Lefty is the best option for them and I respect that. Of all proprietary forks, the Lefty is the most reliable. It's stiffer and stronger than many others, but I really don't think the Lefty is the smoother or the plushier around, there are some others that give you a better feeling of comfort and terrain reading. Anyway, I only would buy a Cannondale if it comes with a Lefty, otherwise, not. But I respect all those who prefer other forks over the Lefty. Cannondale themselves are using "regular" Fox forks on their 2008 Prophets. Since Manitou pushed the plug on the Lefty internals, Cannondale placed the safest bet, and had a proven suspension select. That will sure please first-comers. But I think now that Fox is in charge of the new bikes' Lefty's internals, the Lefty may conquer a new place in the suspension field. Fox draws a lot of attention, and may be a breath of fresh air for the Lefty. Just imagine get your Lefty Pushed? That might happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    t's all about what works good and what doesn't work good.
    You make a VERY good point there. Hence the reason I ripped my lefty off of my prophet(oh wait, thats two leftys now) and put on a real fork. Just had to go with something that worked, having a fork go out on me as fast a lefty then spending over 100$ to fix it, then not liking the way it rides after that, means that it didn't work for me, and I moved onto a real fork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast