Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Smile Computer on Lefty

Does anyone have any idea as to how I could mount a cycle computer on my Scalpel?

Has anyone tried to mount on the rear tire??

Suggestions please!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a Cateye Astrale 8 with cadence, and since the cadence sensor has to be by the cranks, the wheel sensor is placed by the rear wheel. I mounted mine on my Jekyll's "seat stay" and the only problem I had was getting the sensor close enough to the magnet to pickup the signal, but I just shimmed it with a rubber band and it works fine. Besides, the Scalpel probably has a bit less mud clearance than the Jekyll anyway so it might not be a problem.

Another solution is this bracket (link to an article from singletrackworld) but I have no experience with it and I'm not sure if it's distributed in the US.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy
    Does anyone have any idea as to how I could mount a cycle computer on my Scalpel?

Suggestions please!

Thanks!

Hi there!!
    check out ebay item # 3684053323 you can use the buy it now feature for $19.50...the seller is from the netherlands,I bought one & it arrived in less than 10 days...
    good luck!!

SOB
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am geting my Scalpel 900 in 5 days and I am also geting a cateye eduro for it... I asked by LBS the same question and they said they know how to do it ( how to mount it on the front).. So when I get my Scalpel in a few days I will let you know how it is installed if you still need to know

mtbr member

lefty

you can mount it on the lefty, i did it on my buddy's jekyll and it worked pretty good. i mounted mine (jekyll) on my rear chain stay and it works and has for 3 years (enduro 2) i ran it with the rear brake cable, and there is no wire excess sticking out anywhere.

Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    I run a Cateye Cordless 7 on the my Jekyll. Sensor magnet is mounted using a Mavic bladed spoke magnet attached to the front brake rotor. Had to cut widen the spoke "hole" in the magnet's plastic casing a little bit using a razord blade. The magnet has to be positioned just right on the rotor in order to clear the caliper and line up properly with the sensor. It's kind of a pain in the a** but it works. I also had a minor issue with the sensor "double reading" the magnet. (resulting in a very impressive top speed of 80mph once). This was solved by adjusting the sensor a little bit more forward (I believe it was catching the magnet on the back side as well).

Heat has not been a problem for the even though the magnet mount is plastic (I take this bike to the resorts all the time for 1200' 5 minute downhill runs...so it gets VERY HOT).

The attached photo shows the setup, though you can't see the magnet. (And yes, in this photo the damper cartride is blown and leaking oil all over the place...'twas defective from the factory and was fixed within 24 hours of dropping off)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've got a cordless sigma BC 1600. The sensor is mounted to the base of the hydraulic line on a Marta caliper with the magnet mounted to a mavic crossmax blade spoke. Very neat, cordless and no bracket required.

seredyns
    I use the Cat Eye Enduro two with an extended wire mounted on the seatstay. It works fine.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Does anyone have any idea as to how I could mount a cycle computer on my Scalpel?!

I've always mounted the magnet to the disc rotor blades and the sensor to the bottom of the lefty leg, but on my new Scalpel 2000 this has proved impossible. Not sure if it's caused by the new aluminum lefty axle or the XT brake caliper, but there is not enough clearance between the rotor and the caliper body to fit a magnet. I'll have to look for an alternate solution.

Never tried the rear tire - not sure how you'd affix the magnet to rubber - but I have used a standard rear wheel kit and it worked fine. I did have to shim the sensor out about 5mm from the chain stay to get it close enough to the magnet. I used a piece of cardboard wrapped in duct tape, and then covered in a sleeve of old innertube for my shim - worked great. I might have to go that route with the new Scalpel.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    I've always mounted the magnet to the disc rotor blades and the sensor to the bottom of the lefty leg, but on my new Scalpel 2000 this has proved impossible. Not sure if it's caused by the new aluminum lefty axle or the XT brake caliper, but there is not enough clearance between the rotor and the caliper body to fit a magnet. I'll have to look for an alternate solution.

Never tried the rear tire - not sure how you'd affix the magnet to rubber - but I have used a standard rear wheel kit and it worked fine. I did have to shim the sensor out about 5mm from the chain stay to get it close enough to the magnet. I used a piece of cardboard wrapped in duct tape, and then covered in a sleeve of old innertube for my shim - worked great. I might have to go that route with the new Scalpel.

Hahaha!

Crazy GLUE!

Thanks for all the answers.

When mounting to the rear seat stay do you have to lengthen the harness wires?

HolyGhostrider96
    Jun 2004
    I mounted a vetta hr100r wireless to the lefty of my 2004 scalpel 2000 using a metal strip from the back of a computer. These strips are usually thrown away when you add a new card to your pc. They are very bendable but sturdy enough to hold the sensor. I put two 90 bends and one 45 degree bend and strapped it the bottom of the lefty. The sensor can also be strapped to the to the end where it is usually attached to the computer. I tried the mavic magnet w/o success and didn't think the left aid was worth it. I have approx 250 mi's on this setup w/no problems. I can send picture if your interested. Just let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by holyrider96
    I mounted a vetta hr100r wireless to the lefty of my 2004 scalpel 2000 using a metal strip from the back of a computer. These strips are usually thrown away when you add a new card to your pc. They are very bendable but sturdy enough to hold the sensor. I put two 90 bends and one 45 degree bend and strapped it the bottom of the lefty. The sensor can also be strapped to the to the end where it is usually attached to the computer. I tried the mavic magnet w/o success and didn't think the left aid was worth it. I have approx 250 mi's on this setup w/no problems. I can send picture if your interested. Just let me know.

I would like to see that acutually...

Sounds like a good idea.....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a Specialized wireless on my Lefty equipped Jekyll and the LBS I bought it from fabricated a mount that attached to the upper disk brake mount. It's been there for over 1500 miles and hasn't missed a beat. It's definitely do-able. Good luck.

singletrail lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro
    I have a Specialized wireless on my Lefty equipped Jekyll and the LBS I bought it from fabricated a mount that attached to the upper disk brake mount. It's been there for over 1500 miles and hasn't missed a beat. It's definitely do-able. Good luck.

Here a cheap version, mounting a CycloMaster sensor. Works well since 2 years. No, four years - before the hope minis, I had it on the coda expert brake hose.
    Not very nice looking since I broke one of the holes for the cable ties. But the wire makes it nicely adjustable and elastic. But works only for light sensors.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by offpiste
    Here a cheap version, mounting a CycloMaster sensor. Works well since 2 years. No, four years - before the hope minis, I had it on the coda expert brake hose.
    Not very nice looking since I broke one of the holes for the cable ties. But the wire makes it nicely adjustable and elastic. But works only for light sensors.
    Mine is similar. The LBS I had install it actually fabricated a mount so it didn't mount on the cable.

mtbr member
    I was having difficulty with a Polar Speed Sensor mount on my '04 Carbon Lefty, a team mate had mounted his to the fork by pushing up the boot and mounting it there. I didn't care for that solution so mounted it to the lower with the magnet glued to the rotor. I was having trouble picking up the signal though as it was at the wireless limit. I boosted the setting inside the pickup but it was still intermittent. I tried the pickup on the backside of the fork leg and that was all it took. Works fine now.

mtbr member

Good job! Polar (and other) mount

Quote Originally Posted by skinl19
    I was having difficulty with a Polar Speed Sensor mount on my '04 Carbon Lefty, a team mate had mounted his to the fork by pushing up the boot and mounting it there. I didn't care for that solution so mounted it to the lower with the magnet glued to the rotor. I was having trouble picking up the signal though as it was at the wireless limit. I boosted the setting inside the pickup but it was still intermittent. I tried the pickup on the backside of the fork leg and that was all it took. Works fine now.
    I had the same problem with the Polar sensor (range is too short), so I made this sano mount. I've been running it for more than a year and no problems so far. I'll probably modify it to hang off the fork leg instead of the caliper mount and maybe make it out of Carbon Fiber.. But in summer I'd rather ride than tinker with the bike =8-{)}

I also run a shimano flight deck and the sensor is attached to the lower part of the lefty.

I whished thought that the bike, suspension and computer manufacturers would get their collective rear end in gear and provide a standard computer mount and sensor / computer interface for bikes. That would make life easier!

34N 118W

Specialized Wireless - EZ

1) slid the bottom of the boot up a bit
    2) zip tied the pickup/transmitter to the leg
    3) put the magnet on the spokes like normal
    4) mount computer/receiver to bars
    5) done and done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    5) done and done.
    That's how my team mate does it and I tried it also but decided to go another route. One thing he did was to run some wraps of tape or something just above the mount to prevent the boot from pushing the sensor with enough force to snap the ties. Learned that from experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    5) done and done.
    Not sure that this would workd as well on the Lefty Max with the extra travel though.

mtbr member

Very easy to mount computer........

You just don't put it on the lefty. You splice in about two feet of wire and mount the sensor and magnet on the rear wheel. I did that about 4 yrs ago as soon as I bought my Super V 700 SX. I just ran the wire all the way back along side the rear brake line and mounted the sensor with some zip ties. You just need a soldering pencil and some heat shring tubing, a 10 min. job.

mtbr member

Doesn't work with a wireless sensor...

Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700)
    You just don't put it on the lefty. You splice in about two feet of wire and mount the sensor and magnet on the rear wheel. I did that about 4 yrs ago as soon as I bought my Super V 700 SX. I just ran the wire all the way back along side the rear brake line and mounted the sensor with some zip ties. You just need a soldering pencil and some heat shring tubing, a 10 min. job.
    The problem is that this doesn't work with a wireless sensor unless you attach the computer to the seatpost :-)

mtbr member

Polar - How do you boost the signal?

Quote Originally Posted by skinl19
    [[...] I boosted the setting inside the pickup but it was still intermittent. [...]
    How do you "boost" the signal on the sensor? Is there any adjustability in there? I need to mount a polar sensor my my new Lefty Carbon and the options aren't great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offpiste
    I did a similar setup with a Cateye Enduro. I mounted\Zip tied the sensor to the brake cable. So far it seems to be working good.

mtbr member

I guess the wireless...

has an extremely short range. Frankly it seems hard to believe that it can't transmit from the rear wheel to the handlebars. But I have no experience with a wireless and as you read my explanation it was for a wired model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast