mtbr member
    May 2007

Coda stem, taller?

I have a question about Coda stems. I'm building an old Jekyll for my son. I'm using the original Lefty M from my bike. I ordered a new Coda stem and when I mounted it, it sticks up about 2mm aboove the top cap on the fork. I compared it to my stem and the new one is taller than mine. Do the newer Lefties have longer steerer tubes? Secondly, will it be ok to run it like that with the stem a little above top cap? Thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    Steerers are the same length but back in the Coda days, there was no plastic dust cap above the headset. When they introduced the dust caps, they shortened the steerer clamp area of the stems so the total height stayed the same. You can use it without risks, I have added a dust cap on my old Coda days F1000, still use the taller stem and there is no problems. 2mm is not much and you still have the same amount clamping the steerer as newer stems.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the help. Can I remove the dust cap since the bike won't see that much hard action anyway? Or does it really need to be there?

LA CHÈVRE
    It can be taken off but the headset wont last as long... My first headset lasted a long time without it, only riding as a mountain bike in various conditions, just adding a few drops of oil on the headset now and then, it died quickly when I started to use the bike to commute though, leaving the bike outside under the rain and snow often, that's why I added the cap when I got a new headset.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :