mtbr member

Coda Expert Brakes used to work well...

...but now have no power. It's really hard to get them to lock up, and they used to modulate well and lock up without too much hand pressure.

Before everyone starts suggesting I simply replace them, does anyone have ideas about what I can do to improve their performance?

I'm thinking the pads and/or the rotor got contaminated. I took out the pads and scraped them with sandpaper to rough them up a bit but that didn't help. Do I need to do something to the rotor? Clean them with some magic stuff maybe? (Dawn dishwashing liquid?)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Edderd
    ...but now have no power. It's really hard to get them to lock up, and they used to modulate well and lock up without too much hand pressure.

Before everyone starts suggesting I simply replace them, does anyone have ideas about what I can do to improve their performance?

I'm thinking the pads and/or the rotor got contaminated. I took out the pads and scraped them with sandpaper to rough them up a bit but that didn't help. Do I need to do something to the rotor? Clean them with some magic stuff maybe? (Dawn dishwashing liquid?)
    hmmm you might have air in the lines as I did with mine at one time, I've had mine for nearly 3 years and they are fine after bleeding them.

regards

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i have the same problem as you for a long time, i tried everything. until couple days ago i, i tried the burning the brake pads and used acetone to clean the rotor. now the brake works good. before that i can't brake and all it do is make a horrible sound. remember to clean the pad and rotor really good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yiucycle
    i have the same problem as you for a long time, i tried everything. until couple days ago i, i tried the burning the brake pads and used acetone to clean the rotor. now the brake works good. before that i can't brake and all it do is make a horrible sound. remember to clean the pad and rotor really good.
    Yes, they make a horrible sound at low speed. What did you burn them with?

I think the lines are bled correctly since there's very little lever action before the brakes engage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes, they make a horrible sound at low speed. What did you burn them with?

I think the lines are bled correctly since there's very little lever action before the brakes engage.
    i burn them on the stove. i noticed the left pad(piston side) have more smoke compare to the right pad(stationary side). after it is cool, i wipe the pad with some acetone and that is it. in the past i have try using achohal, auto brake cleaner, soap and none of them seem to help at all. except this method. hope this help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yiucycle
    i burn them on the stove. i noticed the left pad(piston side) have more smoke compare to the right pad(stationary side). after it is cool, i wipe the pad with some acetone and that is it. in the past i have try using achohal, auto brake cleaner, soap and none of them seem to help at all. except this method. hope this help.
    I'm willing to try this.

I just cooked them by putting them on the heating element with the metal side on the burner. (brake side up) They smoked and I turned off the burner off after a minute or so.

I took it for a ride and it seemed a bit better, but not great.

I put them back on and cooked them untill they quit smoking.

I took them for another ride and the seemed definately better, but not as good as the Avid mechs on the rear. I'm going for an early morning ride up mount falcon and the screaming downhill will be the test.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll report back soon...
    Last edited by Edderd; 06-14-2004 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok, it works. I rode 5 miles up and 5 miles down this morning and they worked great. They felt like new and no wicked (and embarassing) squeeling!!!

I'm still going out to get new pads but it's good to know whatever contaminated the pads can be smoked out this way.

Ridin' many miles...

Do Not Cook Pads

Ok, it works. I rode 5 miles up and 5 miles down this morning and they worked great. They felt like new and no wicked (and embarassing) squeeling!!!

I'm still going out to get new pads but it's good to know whatever contaminated the pads can be smoked out this way.

Update: DO NOT COOK PADS. I forgot to mention that after a couple rides the pads disintegrated and I was lucky I didn't crash.
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.