mtbr member
    Nov 2008

CO2 F5-F9 frames and lefty/headshok

Does anyone know if the lefty/headshok equipment works with the CO2 (F5-F9) frames? Sorry, I am a noob and couldn't figure it out on the Cannondale site.

mtbr member
    Only the 2009 F5 has a headshok
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

mtbr member
    In 2008, F4 F5 and F6 were all headshok compatible frames.
    (This year F4 is Caffeine, and F6 is mysteriously missing)
    I was just at an LBS that still had a few 2008's around.

F7/F8/F9 - smaller headtube, so can't do headshok.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Steady Creepin'
    I have a 2008 F4 co2 that came with a Headshok Fatty DL stock, so as long as it has the big 1.5 headtube it's definitely compatible

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks everyone. Is it worth it? Are lefty/headshok that much better than the usual suspects, fox, manitou, rock shox?

mtbr member
    I am not a fanatic or fan boy but when looking for a $1500-2200 bike the Lefty equipped bikes where much lighter in the front and stiffer than the few I could ride on the trail.

I put the price in as I am sure there are some great "regular" forks as well

Quote Originally Posted by stkim89
    Thanks everyone. Is it worth it? Are lefty/headshok that much better than the usual suspects, fox, manitou, rock shox?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    As an owner and a "convert" of a Lefty Max, I'm going back to Rock Shox Pike.

The Lefty is cool, and at just a hair over 4lbs, it's pretty light too, but I never got the adjustment out of the cheapest Lefty that I do a used Pike. Always felt dead.

Now the newer PBR models and to some extent the TPC models might feel much better, but I couldn't justify spending that much money to save 1-2 lbs.

Rip Van Winkle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail Rider
    Only the 2009 F5 has a headshok
    What? the 2009 CO2 F5 has the large head tube but comes with the Rockshox Dart 3 front shock. Cannondale has an adapter that brings the large dia headset down to the 1.125" steerer for the rock shocks. You can run the Headshok, but it does not come that way.

Steady Creepin'
    The Fatty is a really nice fork, stiff, light, and responsive... but that doesn't mean there aren't other good forks out there, and to be honest I think my next fork will probably be a regular fork.

While the Fatty is great on the trail, it's also been a maintenance hassle since I've had to take it in for repairs twice in the 4 months I've owned it. Thankfully it's still under warranty, but I worry it'll become a money-burner if it keeps breaking down on me once the warranty is up. The fact that not every mechanic in town is familiar with working on Fattys/Leftys can also be inconvenient depending on where you live.

My friend has a Magura Menja on his bike and call me crazy, but I think I actually prefer it's feel over my fatty.