Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Prophet converted!
    Reputation: F3caffeine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    149

    "clicking" noise from my bottom bracket or crank - need advice

    Hi everyone. I have a new Prophet that has been ridden for no more than 20 hours (light riding conditions). Today, I noticed that there is a clicking sound coming from the bottom bracket / crank area. It only clicks under load and seems loudest when i'm using the middle chainring. Usually, its about one click per rotation of the crank, but under extreme load (climbing) it will sometimes click two or three times per rotation. I can also "feel" the noise with my feet on the pedals. It almost feels like something is loose, but when I inspect the crank, everything appears to be tight. Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be? Thanks.
    07 Prophet 5

  2. #2
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,722
    Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine
    Hi everyone. I have a new Prophet that has been ridden for no more than 20 hours (light riding conditions). Today, I noticed that there is a clicking sound coming from the bottom bracket / crank area. It only clicks under load and seems loudest when i'm using the middle chainring. Usually, its about one click per rotation of the crank, but under extreme load (climbing) it will sometimes click two or three times per rotation. I can also "feel" the noise with my feet on the pedals. It almost feels like something is loose, but when I inspect the crank, everything appears to be tight. Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be? Thanks.

    Check in this order, for tightness, and greased-ness, rear QR, pedals, cranks, BB. Then go to Cannondales tech section on creaky Prophet swingarms, if you still have the noise, and run through the rest of their decreak protocol. Still have it? Go back to the LBS, and order your new swingarm.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  3. #3
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    One thing to add...

    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Check in this order, for tightness, and greased-ness, rear QR, pedals, cranks, BB. Then go to Cannondales tech section on creaky Prophet swingarms, if you still have the noise, and run through the rest of their decreak protocol. Still have it? Go back to the LBS, and order your new swingarm.

    Ride the bike between each attempt at a fix, so that you know what the problem area was. If you go and check all the prob areas without riding, you will never know what the real fix was.
    gfy

  4. #4
    Prophet converted!
    Reputation: F3caffeine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Check in this order, for tightness, and greased-ness, rear QR, pedals, cranks, BB. Then go to Cannondales tech section on creaky Prophet swingarms, if you still have the noise, and run through the rest of their decreak protocol. Still have it? Go back to the LBS, and order your new swingarm.
    Is the swingarm a common problem with the Prophet?
    07 Prophet 5

  5. #5
    Prophet converted!
    Reputation: F3caffeine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    149
    Do either one of you know what specifically to check on the crank and bottom bracket? I'm still new to bikes.
    07 Prophet 5

  6. #6
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,722
    It's a common enough problem, that Cannondale has a protocol for determining if it's the swingarm, or not....As to checking everything else, you'll need some tools, and know how, I'd say bring a sixer into the LBS you bought it at, find the greasiest looking guy, give it to him, and beg for his help
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  7. #7
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine
    Do either one of you know what specifically to check on the crank and bottom bracket? I'm still new to bikes.
    Had the same issue with the same model Prophet.
    Although mine had a different serial number than the swing arms cannonondale said were the only ones affected.
    Bike shop told me BS about mt BB being lose and all, but when I picked the bike up from the shop the noise was still there although they said they fixed it.
    I received a new swing arm from cannondale within 2 weeks. installed it myself (To make sure it was installed with the proper torque specs etc.) and the noise was gone.
    After about 200 miles it came back.
    I started to live with it but then I realized the noise was coming from the pivot bolt itself.
    See, when it becomes dry after only a couple hours hors riding it starts to make that noise. Every time I disassembled it you could tell there was a "Shiny dry spot" on the pivot bolt (were it was rubbing).
    I decided to have the pivot bolt nut on the opposite side now which allows me to disassemble it without removing the crankset.
    Every time it starts squeaking I take the bolt out, grease it torque it down to specifications and voila' no squeaking for a while.
    I don't understand why c'dale decided to use a smaller pivot assembly than they did on the Jeckyll or super V's.....
    Anyways, next time I'll try Graphite or anti seize compound or something to see if that works better..
    Try to turn the pivot bolt several revolutions without loosening it and see if the ticking is still there. When I'm on the trails and it is getting worse that's what I do before I take it apart at my house.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  8. #8
    Prophet converted!
    Reputation: F3caffeine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    149
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check that out.
    07 Prophet 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •