mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Clicking and Creaking on the Flash 29er 1 alu

I resigned myself to the fact the the brakes are just going to squeal and howl, but the latest noises--what I can best describe as incessant creaking and clicking--are getting to be a bit much.

I've ruled out the drivetrain since everything was replaced already and it creaked before and after. Sounds like it might be coming from the top tube or headset but its hard to tell.

Anyone else have this? Suggestions on diagnosis?

Thx.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check your pedals, seat post and seat rails. If you stil have the stock rear x9 hub check it as well. I had constant problems with mine not staying tight and it would creak. Also check the front hub. There is a washer that goes in between the rotor and outer bearing. If it gets dry it will squeak. The BB may be dry as well. About once a month I have to take the crank apart and put some more anti-seeze on the spindle nut.

There was a recall from SRAM about the brakes. They will send out new pads and rotors depending on if you had the updated rotors and pads. There was a issue with the pads not seating properly. The brakes would get very vague. I had new ones sent and it has resolved the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have some noises coming from a few places on mine too. I think my creaking is coming from the bb. I also have a squeak coming from the rubber seal on the headset. It drives me nuts having a noisey bike. Still trying to narrow down the bb creak so I can take care of it myself. My lbs fixed it once but its back.

Does your noise only happen under a heavy load or can you make it happen while the bike is on the ground?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 6guitars View Post
    I resigned myself to the fact the the brakes are just going to squeal and howl, but the latest noises--what I can best describe as incessant creaking and clicking--are getting to be a bit much.

I've ruled out the drivetrain since everything was replaced already and it creaked before and after. Sounds like it might be coming from the top tube or headset but its hard to tell.

Anyone else have this? Suggestions on diagnosis?

Thx.
    This problem has been much discussed. If you have the new OPI (two piece) stem, check here:

Creaky Opi Stem

mtbr member
    My creeking seems to be coming from the quick release......know matter how tight I make it the wheel will move in the drop outs. Plus the BB30 needs to be kept clean and lubed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks guys.

The culprit was the OPI stem. It's now been heavily greased and is 95%+ better than when I first posted. Strange thing however, is for the first 15 or miles after the greasing I still had the creaking big time. For the next 30-40 is has calmed down significantly. I guess its the ghost in the machine...