mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Is Click in Rear Hub Normal?

I just bought a used 2001 model F900 with a click sound coming from the rear hub area only when I coast. The hub is a Coda Expert. The rate of clicking is about 20 times per revolution. If I turn the wheel very slowly the 'click' sounds like a series of maybe three little clicks. When pedaling or braking there is no sound. Please help me trouble-shoot this thing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Its working as intended.

Fixin' shocks Day & Night
    Quote Originally Posted by rackemup
    I just bought a used 2001 model F900 with a click sound coming from the rear hub area only when I coast. The hub is a Coda Expert. The rate of clicking is about 20 times per revolution. If I turn the wheel very slowly the 'click' sounds like a series of maybe three little clicks. When pedaling or braking there is no sound. Please help me trouble-shoot this thing!
    The click you hear is called a pawl and you are right there are 3 of them when you coast the clicking sound is them skipping over the engagement points the have small springs that push them outward. When you pedal there is no sound because they are firmly seated in the engagement points and giving the wheel a forward rotation. I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I learned something today and will plan on ignoring the coasting sounds!