Thread: Clash!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Clash!?

I wonder why C'dale paints so much of their mountain line with garish colors and uses clashing colors for the lettering?

I'd go buy a Caffeine 3 right now if they weren't so loudly decorated.

I'm a raging lib politically (Go Obama) but stylistically, I much prefer conservative, clear colors (bright is OK, but not fluorescent or neon, the yellow is nice) with simple, mild, even understated decals. I imagine there are a lot of other folks like me (age challenged and boring) who feel the same way.

And we have money!

Keep the flashy stuff for the young people who like to say "hey, look at me", but make some quiet bikes for us geezers who still like to get out there!
    Last edited by Twister; 08-11-2007 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm a young guy(22), but I prefer the more conservative colors also. One of my favorite frames was the the black lettering on black matte that they had last year. I just got the Rush Carbon with the black and silver scheme and with black wheels I think it looks sweet. But I do agree that a certain paint scheme shouldn't deter possible buyers. Why don't they offer all paint schemes on every frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You got me thinking about it chase.

I suppose their are marketing considerations, like, use a slightly nicer paint scheme on the next higher priced rig in a given line to try to pull buyers upmarket.

By using different color combos, they allow people who care to telegraph to other riders, "look I bought the most expensive bike in the line".

Also, it would probably be a greater manufacturing challenge to make all the bikes in all colors.

But within a line, where the components change but they use a common frame, why not make some frames with graphics for us who like it subdued and offer them up?

I like the Stumpy hardtail paint (I know, I know, that's sacreligeous!). Its nice, and attractive, but it doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME, MY HORMONES ARE OFF THE CHART"!
    Last edited by Twister; 08-11-2007 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just bought a Caffeine 3 in the blue/black color....very subtle yet classy IMO.

Maybe get a Bad Boy Ultra in the flat black???

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I totally agree with the dislike of bright colors. For years now I have been buying what ever bike comes in the BBQ black color and then replacing all the components with my existing ones. I've done this with all my Cannondales since 1998 starting with an Killer V, F800, Rush and now my current ride a 2006 Prophet. When the 2008s come out I'll probably get one of the new ones just for fun.

mtbr member
    May 2005

euro-influence

part of this may relate to a euro influence. they love the flashy neon stuff...and it may be simpler to go with same for both continents. i agree with your sentiments and have tried to put in the good word but it has mostly echoed. in particular, the decals are excessive and ought not match the scale of the downtube per se. if you feel strongly about it, email and ask that your msg. be directed to the graphics dept. i think the person who creates all the decals has enough artisitic license that if he hears it enough, schemes can be toned back. the bikes simply don't need to say cannondale 6 times on the frame.

LA CHÈVRE
    I think there are some colors for most tastes in the whole range. Some are flashy and others are more stealth and subtle. But most companies like that their logo stand out so when you are riding on the trails or the streets, your downtube becomes a moving billboard... Having too many color options for each frames would cost a lot more for a comapny with such a big range. Just ride in mud and don't wash the frame.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Just ride in mud and don't wash the frame.

Or, just buy a bike from a company that makes one with a paint scheme that you like!

After all, there is a huge variety of excellent, superbly designed, and well constructed bikes out there!

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I'm a long time C-dale owner, and I have found that if you're willing to wait a while, you can usually custom order a C-dale in any of the colors that are available for any of the models that use the same frame.

If you're ordering a bike that is in stock they will only sell you what is available. However, if the bike is out-of-stock, and you're ordering a bike that will be made in the next production run, you can get whatever color you want at no-additional charge.

I love the c-dale colors, especially the variations of the afterburner fade they've done over the years. I don't want some boring looking bike. I want my bike to look like it's going to kick some ass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I contacted C'dale a couple weeks ago. They said that in general it was impossible to get bikes in colors other than the normal ones, and that they did not do custom paint.

A high volume dealer might get a special as a favor, but for the average joe it ain't gonna happen.

People kick ***. Bicycles are inamimate objects that do nothing but what their rider makes them do.

Like catnip for people

It seems to me you've used one paintbrush. The Neon coloured caffeine (Which I actually quite like, to be honest), and used that to generalise all Cannondale paint schemes.

Excuse the pun...

I however, completely disagree with you... I think Cannondale paint schemes are beautiful.

You want ugly looking bikes? Look at the '08 Specialized line.

Case in point, the demo. That thing is hilarious, multi-coloured vomit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not Cannondale that started the whole stealth "blacked out" bike thing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    It seems to me you've used one paintbrush. The Neon coloured caffeine (Which I actually quite like, to be honest), and used that to generalise all Cannondale paint schemes.

Excuse the pun...

I however, completely disagree with you... I think Cannondale paint schemes are beautiful.

You want ugly looking bikes? Look at the '08 Specialized line.

Case in point, the demo. That thing is hilarious, multi-coloured vomit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not Cannondale that started the whole stealth "blacked out" bike thing?
    There are even worse looking bike in the Specialized 2008 range, this one is actually not that bad IMO. Some look like mish-mash of pieces taken from 34 different bikes. One color for the swingarm, another for the swing link, another or two on the front triangle, bar is another color, stem yet another... I think Cannondale paint schemes have much more class and good tastes. Just look at my Cannondale!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    There are some C'dales whose graphics schemes I like. That one isn't too bad; nice even.

But I particularly don't like the loud paint scheme of the Caffeine 3's, one of which I would buy if they had less garish graphics.

It's not even the base colors by themselves that rub me wrong. It's the clashing, 'HEY, LOOK AT ME", decals that end up making the whole scheme look like a rolling billboard to me.

I have no need, nor do I desire, to attract attention to myself. If I am to be a rolling ad for a bike company, they should give me the bike for free and pay royalties for every mile I ride.

The Stumpy HT's have very attractive, classy graphics. I agree that some of the '08 Spesh models do look like wino vomit though.

I even go for nice, clear, bright colors as long as they aren't too outrageous. I'm not really into black, but I've seen some black bikes I liked.

It's OK to paint bikes in loud attention grabbing colors for those who like them that way, but make some for us who don't want to ride day-glo attention grabbers too.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Maybe C'Dale owners prefer the 'hey-look-at-me' paint schemes. I am a cannondale fan, and I am also a fan of (most) of their graphics. I think many people buy cannondale because they have a reputation of being different than the other big bike companies. Maybe the same people who like to buy 'different' also like 'different' graphics.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I like the single-speeded F1000 with the blown out headshock in the background. I think every C'Dale owner has a bike just like that sitting around for commuting.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325
    I like the single-speeded F1000 with the blown out headshock in the background. I think every C'Dale owner has a bike just like that sitting around for commuting.
    Yep, that bikes gets at least an hour of riding every week days. I actually wanted to lock out the Headshok permanently but since it spent the last 2-3 years outside even in winter, it got locked out by itself! I can stretch it back to normal height if I want and it will stay like this but having a lower bike with a steeper head angle makes it perfect for speeding in traffic.

The rear rim is almost cracked along the sidewall because it's so old, I only use the front brake now. I also taped the logos to make it a 'CAN O' ALE'... less flashy or 'clash' as Twister puts it. I still love that beer, huu I mean, that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I like the colors, in fact I like them better than in past years, specially in '05 and '06 the colors in the hardtails were the worst ever IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Can-o-ale does look like an old friend. Even I like that color, but, as usual, I think the decals are too loud. Although they are not as repulsive as the ones on the Caff.3's.

Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old man.

Hell! Who am I kidding? I AM a grumpy old man! !

Hey! Is that a rigid fork I see on the background!?!!