discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005

Choosing bike size

for Ref, here is my WTB thread...
    replacing my '91 cdale..thoughts
    I guess a FS bike is over the top for my needs.
    I test drove the med. '04 Sobe F600SL today and also tried on a Lg.Blue '04 F600 they had left over....$850 and $1000 respectively, and tax inc. I learned today...The guy said 'your def. a medium' but I felt a bit cramped on the medium 600SL, something he said would be easily remedied by a longer stem .----> Is this true?

He also said the smaller, lighter framed bike would be easier to pedal and more responsive due to a slightly smaller wheelbase and weight ----> Again, True?

The Lg F600 felt better the way it was, perhaps a bit too stretched.I could see the Stem on the Lg bike was longer, maybe a smaller stem would maek it "perfect"? Last time I bought a bike ('91) there wasnt any talk like this, stem swapping etc... I am 5-10" with about a 32" inseam btw... It's hard for me to know whats a good size for me, as I may be accustomed to riding wrong-for along time too!

So those are my main questions now, I believe the F600/F600SL serves my needs pretty well so I am fine with that, it's now a sizing issue....and also whether discs are that important to my riding criteria (Though I LOVE gadgets)..
    Thanks Tony

BRILLIANT!

Standover...

Im sure its all a matter of personal preference, but per Cannondale for off road biking there should be approx 4" of clearance when standing over the bike.

LA CHÈVRE
    I personnaly don't care much about standover clearance, I choose bikes with the correct horizontal top tube length, it dictates much more how you're gonna fit on the bike, where you're weight will be relative to the wheels, your position on the bike (important confort issue) and how the bike will handle.

I'm 5'10" too (not sure about my inseam but I'm not a mutant) and I ride medium Cannondales. Older Cannondales were smaller so my old 99 F1000 is a large but it's almost the same as a medium 2004. Of course you can put a longer stem but it will move your weight forward a bit, can be a good thing (good on steep uphills), can be bad (on steep downhills).

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Jun 2005
    Thanks guys...I have to really get on em both again to be sure, esp with the weight issue. ESP ESP going downhill
    Tony

Jun 2005
    Well the wife is going along with an $800 MB, thing is we drove to the shop tonight, and due to serious traffic it took an hour. We walked in 15 minutes before close, and after I got the F600SL down and made some small talk the guy was like 'dude no test rides we close in 5 minutes'. Ok I asked if he was able to negotiate a little and he gave me a sort of whiny 'hey its marked down $100 ALLLReady'. Ok ,sorry. But I was told by Nick that the red tags were tax included and he would be able to swap to a longer stem N/C..."No its PLUS tax and if you made some kind of deal with Nick, why dont you come back when he's working and talk to Him". So we left, i was fully prepared to pay the $850, just wanted to wiggle a bit. But I think he had a bad day cause his tone was piss-poor, and it was something even my wife picked up. We hadnt even made it to the curb and those two guys had locked the door and started down the street.

Do you think I was being some kinda dick??? Cause I sure felt like I got pushed out the door....Ultimately, If I have to wait till August and sell another $300 worth of toys to get an '05 F600 Disc SOMEWHERE else I might just have to...
    Sorry to rant
    Tony

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monantony
    Well the wife is going along with an $800 MB, thing is we drove to the shop tonight, and due to serious traffic it took an hour. We walked in 15 minutes before close, and after I got the F600SL down and made some small talk the guy was like 'dude no test rides we close in 5 minutes'. Ok I asked if he was able to negotiate a little and he gave me a sort of whiny 'hey its marked down $100 ALLLReady'. Ok ,sorry. But I was told by Nick that the red tags were tax included and he would be able to swap to a longer stem N/C..."No its PLUS tax and if you made some kind of deal with Nick, why dont you come back when he's working and talk to Him". So we left, i was fully prepared to pay the $850, just wanted to wiggle a bit. But I think he had a bad day cause his tone was piss-poor, and it was something even my wife picked up. We hadnt even made it to the curb and those two guys had locked the door and started down the street.

Do you think I was being some kinda dick??? Cause I sure felt like I got pushed out the door....Ultimately, If I have to wait till August and sell another $300 worth of toys to get an '05 F600 Disc SOMEWHERE else I might just have to...
    Sorry to rant
    Tony
    Tony, wait a week or two and I'll post pictures of 2006 F600 that I just ordered for my GF. It has Fatty DLR fork and Avid Juicy 5 brakes, big change from this years model. Also new "paint" job - raw aluminium w/ white stickers and a clearcoat - it looks really sweet.
    I would NOT buy the SL as it has rim brakes and once you see the light you can never go back to the dark side.

EDR

Listen!

Sorry to rant
    Tony
    -absolutely not. Don't buy if your not comfortable with the tone of the conversation. It's not ok. Other shops will do better. The thing is, is at that price range they probably sell many bikes and really don't have a clue about bike "fitting" so when you ask questions they are put in an awkward position...wanting a lot of money but having no expertise to help you. I.E. Car salesman.

Jun 2005
    The big thing bout this bike is <1> the color, Sobe and <2> It is clearance, though two people have told me two things about red tag items, and also the negotiation part. At least the weekend guy spent some time with me and my friend, and guess what? He stayed almost half hour past closing with us, unlike this guy last night...

$800 or $850 isnt so bad as the bike is disk ready and I would eventually go that route. But a new F600 is 1100 + tax...
    Tony
    Last edited by monantony; 06-30-2005 at 07:47 AM.

Jun 2005
    First thanks to all who chipped in on my threads, but I bought a bike....Cycle Smithy in Chicago had an end of year 20% off sale, so I was ready to just go and buy an actual '05 F600...Till the wife saw the look in my eyes for an F800....And then I found how much I liked the Prophet 600 for the same price . The test ride sold me.....Prophet 600 it is. I shall now try and live up to the bike...

Tony

LA CHÈVRE
    First thanks to all who chipped in on my threads, but I bought a bike....Cycle Smithy in Chicago had an end of year 20% off sale, so I was ready to just go and buy an actual '05 F600...Till the wife saw the look in my eyes for an F800....And then I found how much I liked the Prophet 600 for the same price . The test ride sold me.....Prophet 600 it is. I shall now try and live up to the bike...

Tony
    Good choice, a great bike you'll have fun with, wherever you go. Enjoy!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :