mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Check your insurance!!!!

As most of our friends have done in the last couple of weeks any of you that have a couple or more bikes in your garage (or living room) call your insurance agent and make sure you're covered. The last thing you want to hear is "that bike cost what? We'll need to see if that's covered" after you've lost everything and you just want to ride to get away from it all for a couple hours.

Our house burned a few weeks ago and we had 9 bikes in the garage. Thankfully nobody was home and a neighbor let the dogs out safely. Just as importantly our insurance is covering all of the bikes but some just can't be replaced, all the C'dale's were made in the USA

Next time you have a bottle in your hand pour a little out for our fallen comrades...

2010 Cannondale Flash 1 Alloy
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    2007 Cannondale Prophet 1
    2008 Specialized Ruby Expert
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    2008 Cannondale Rush Feminine 2
    2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara GS
    2004 Kestral Talon
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

mtbr member
    Very sorry, hope things go as smoothly as possible for you getting things back in order.
    good nobody was hurt, your pets made it out, and your insurance came though for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jays0n
    As most of our friends have done in the last couple of weeks any of you that have a couple or more bikes in your garage (or living room) call your insurance agent and make sure you're covered. The last thing you want to hear is "that bike cost what? We'll need to see if that's covered" after you've lost everything and you just want to ride to get away from it all for a couple hours.

Our house burned a few weeks ago and we had 9 bikes in the garage. Thankfully nobody was home and a neighbor let the dogs out safely. Just as importantly our insurance is covering all of the bikes but some just can't be replaced, all the C'dale's were made in the USA

Next time you have a bottle in your hand pour a little out for our fallen comrades...

2010 Cannondale Flash 1 Alloy
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    2007 Cannondale Prophet 1
    2008 Specialized Ruby Expert
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    2008 Cannondale Rush Feminine 2
    2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara GS
    2004 Kestral Talon

LA CHÈVRE
    Dang, that sucks. Thankfully no one was hurt... and you do have insurance. I would really hate that to happen, even with insurance, I would not be able to replace some bikes I have.

Look at the bright side, you'll get new ones and you now have no more Specialized bikes!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ridin' dirty!
    Very sorry to hear that....I'm glad everybody is okay though....Do you already know what started the fire?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    I don't know how it is where you live but in Canada insurance co's get you to bendover for premiums on high end bikes. My scalpel costs more to insure per year than my Tundra and my wifes volvo suv combined!

LA CHÈVRE
    Same for me (I'm in Canada too). The standard insurance covers each bike up to 3500$ CAD but I have 5 bikes worth more than that, they quoted me around 130$ per year for covering a single 5000$ bike and I have bikes worth more than that! We get the bendover treatments for many things in Canada, cell phones companies are worst than the mafia!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jays0n

Good advice. Sorry to hear about your fire and loss of your bikes.

Your quote however, is priceless! I will salute the fallen comrades tonight.
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    I don't know how it is where you live but in Canada insurance co's get you to bendover for premiums on high end bikes.
    Yep, and even though I have fully comprehensive contents insurance they will only pay out a maximum of $1000 per item for anything taken from the garage.

All the expensive bikes now reside on the other side of the garage wall in the basement because I get full replacement cost if they are taken from the house.

The alternative is to store the bikes in the garage in pieces

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thankfully our insurance has been amazing and we have been able to replace some of the bikes already. Our road bikes are Specialized (they fit us better, sorry) and we've been lucky enough to find replacements for those already.

For the C'dales we have a 2011 Flash Carbon 2, 2011 Jekyl 1, and a 2011 Lexi 1 on order, none of which will be arriving anytime soon. I've been riding the road bike a lot, helps let off some steam, you can cut the stress with a knife these days.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to know and understand your insurance policy.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Sorry to hear about the fire, but I'm glad it is working out for you with new bikes. I need to buy a fireproof safe for my photos, important documents, and backup harddrives.

When I went in to review my policy with State Farm (in the US) they said it would be no problem covering what is in the house for what it is worth. I specifically said I had several bikes worth several thousand dollars each. She said it was covered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Good job!

Marine insurance, covering ships and voyages, is the oldest form of insurance; it originated in ancient times with loans to shipowners that were repayable only on safe completion of a voyage, and it was formalized in medieval Europe. Fire insurance arose in the 17th century, and other forms of property insurance became common with the spread of industrialization in the 19th century. It is now possible to insure almost any kind of property, including homes, businesses, motor vehicles, and goods in transit. See also casualty insurance; health insurance; liability insurance; life insurance.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have a home insurance up to 20.000 euro including the garage

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    i have a home insurance up to 20.000 euro including the garage
    That's not even enough to cover 2 of your bikes.....yet alone everything else that might get destroyed in a house fire....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It's not only important to know what items/areas that your insurance covers but what the coverage limits are.

Our house was covered up to a certain amount and our contents were covered up to another amount. We were also covered for "code upgrade" which is money available for changes in building code from when the house was originally built to when it is being rebuilt after a fire, etc. This is separate from the bikes but super important, if you live in an old house it could cost thousands to rebuild it it according to new building codes, without this coverage you have to eat that

There was a question as to if my friend's bike was going to be covered, it was in the garage because we were going on a ride after we got back from where we were. After some research it was clear that it would be covered.

Not to sound like a broken record, just saying you're insured isn't enough, make sure you know your policy, especially if you have $34,000 in bikes in your garage like we did.