mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Chase; suitabale for the trails ??

Hi,

The past few months my GF and I spend more and more time traning to enhance our technical XC riding skills. This involves cornering, jumps, drops, bunny hops, clearing root sections and logs, wheelies, manuals etc. Anything you can encounter on epic trails.

We're looking for a fun bike we can use for this sort of training so we can save our Prophet/Rush from crashes. The Cannondale Chase looks like a fun bike and seems build to withstand some abuse. The Geometry of a size L looks comparable to my Prophet SL with respect to angles and top tube lenght.

What I would like to know is if the Chace is just for street/dirt riding or that it can also be used for short trails and some rough XC riding like we do. Seatpost in upper position and maybe a somewhat longer stem should do the trick.

My choice would be the Chase 4, and maybe convert it to a 1x9 geared version as I have a mech, shifters and rear wheel available. Would that be possible?

J

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan
    Hi,

The past few months my GF and I spend more and more time traning to enhance our technical XC riding skills. This involves cornering, jumps, drops, bunny hops, clearing root sections and logs, wheelies, manuals etc. Anything you can encounter on epic trails.

We're looking for a fun bike we can use for this sort of training so we can save our Prophet/Rush from crashes. The Cannondale Chase looks like a fun bike and seems build to withstand some abuse. The Geometry of a size L looks comparable to my Prophet SL with respect to angles and top tube lenght.

What I would like to know is if the Chace is just for street/dirt riding or that it can also be used for short trails and some rough XC riding like we do. Seatpost in upper position and maybe a somewhat longer stem should do the trick.

My choice would be the Chase 4, and maybe convert it to a 1x9 geared version as I have a mech, shifters and rear wheel available. Would that be possible?

J
    Should work as long as you have a long enough seatpost and you keep your trail rides short. I have Planet X which is similar to the Chase. It is beefy as hell so the ride is really harsh. I keep the rides on trails short to save my back. I also like to practice skills with this bike.

mtbr member
    I turned my old Giant into a SS bike when I got my Rush and have used it for technical practice ever since. This has improved my skills alot. Your plan sounds great.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."