mtbr member

chainsuck on f29 C3

I was cleaning my 2013 F3 carbon off and noticed this....

chainsuck on f29 C3-chain-1.jpg

chainsuck on f29 C3-chain-2.jpg

How bad do you think this is? What can I do to prevent this from happening again and how can I make this not get worst. Is this a warrenty case? I dought it even though the bike is only a few months old. No other scratches.

I am was suprised to see this because I don't remember it happening and in fact I have been most riding on road due to it being winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    not dangerous, for now
    but ... you go to your dealer, it should not be happening
    it seems that still the problem persists no matter which drivetrain is in use

Search the forum, there's a post about it

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dudukovic View Post
    not dangerous, for now
    but ... you go to your dealer, it should not be happening
    it seems that still the problem persists no matter which drivetrain is in use

Search the forum, there's a post about it
    why go to the dealer with this???

cleaning your drive train will help a heck of a lot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    chainsuck not occur even when all of the mud
    read this, you might realize
    Flash Carbon 29er 2 Front shifting issues
    I have same problem, dealer change my fsa chainrings and now its ok.

mtbr member
    The XT rear deraileur lock supposed to avoid chain slap and I would assume chain suck? I just picked up my F29 C3 and sadly haven't ridden it yet since the trails are snowed in!!! The guys at the LBS told me I wouldn't even need the chainstay protector if I lock out the rear der. Good luck!
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Search for Cannondale Flash chainsuck protector 29er on The Bay of E. A few have fitted these to help this issue. It is a much bigger protector than standard

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Search for Cannondale Flash chainsuck protector 29er on The Bay of E. A few have fitted these to help this issue. It is a much bigger protector than standard
    I ordered one of those just yesterday. Thought I should install it without waiting until I get the first incident of chain suck. If it ends up never serving it's purpose then no big loss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dudukovic View Post
    chainsuck not occur even when all of the mud
    read this, you might realize
    Flash Carbon 29er 2 Front shifting issues
    I have same problem, dealer change my fsa chainrings and now its ok.
    yes i read it.

it seems some people have had issues with fsa rings, i hadn't. one photo of interest on that thread is on page 2, it's of a SLK crank - the chain is clearly stuck, it looks like it is hung up on one of the three pins on the big ring. when i swapped my fsa crank over to a hollowgram i filed the pins down on the big ring, (sram XX), as they seemed to create a chain rumble - very annoying. so maybe i reduced the chances of that component generating chainsuck - i don't know? i now use BOR chainrings, which are so far without fault.

what i do know is that in the above photo the chain and rings are stuck up with dirt and oil, it all needs cleaning. i don't clean my bike often, but i do clean and lube my chain after every ride. a dirty drive train can cause chainsuck, as can worn components, a rear poorly sprung/adjusted derailleur, and importantly shifting while powering down is not good.

address the cause not the effect.

good luck!

mtbr member
    Thanks for your imput. Brought it in to the shop and they concurred that it is just cosmetic. the pictures make it look worse than it is. They are going to put some kind of 3m tape there for proctection. I post pic later.

mtbr member
    sorry this is the wrong side but here's a pic of my F29C 3 with frozen mud from this weekend, no problems with chainsuck... yet! took a few gallons of hot water to get it cleared when I got home and also took a heel-kick to get the front to shift occasionally... pichainsuck on f29 C3-frozenmudder.jpg
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had the same problem with chain suck with the FSA cranks in the 2011 scalpel. In 2012 they changed to SRAM cranks, and never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just had the same thing occur to my '12 Flash 3 as the OP. However, no chainstay plate, fell off sometime previous and didn't take notice. Took it to the LBS and they said they've seen worse and it should be ok. Purchased a new chainstay plate, part #KP125. Would like to fill in the chipped areas with something. What should I use? Was thinking some nail polish.

JD
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This is a problem on all of them I think. The stock chainstay protector is not good enough - any chainsuck and it gets chewed up straight away and comes off. I'm using hollowgrams with XX rings and I have the same problem. It definitely helps to keep the drivetrain clean but sometimes you're in a muddy race or something and that's not possible. See here: this is after Lap 1!!

Luckily the carbon is pretty tough and the damage is mostly cosmetic I think.

There are a few other solutions I've seen including a bigger stainless protector and a carbon wrap around. For the underneath, I think nail varnish is a great idea - will try that, thanks.

Edit: Just ordered one of these, will let you know how it works out...

Cannondale Flash chainsuck protector 29er and 26er | eBay
    Last edited by jimification; 04-02-2013 at 12:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi, have pretty much decided to get the Cannondale F29 carbon 3 2013 but still have some concerns with chainsuck and frame damage in light of previous versions of this bike where chainsets were believed to be at fault. So, I intend to protect the chainstay area using the chainsuck protector mentioned above. I have 2 questions;
    1 - The protector in the image above doesnt seem to cover the area where damage is seen on the frame (the image may not be a F29?), so does this really give you enough protection from frame damage, or is the idea to just limit damage?
    2 - If I understand correctly the SAVE seat stays will flex under impacts, normal riding etc and was wondering if fitting a solid stainless steel protector to the frame will itself cause problems by preventing it from flexing?

I am probably being over cautious but thought it was worth getting any opinions. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've got a Carbon 1, with S2210 cranks, and an XTR Shadow+ RD. Whether it's because of the Shadow+ RD, or because of the crankset, I don't know, but I haven't had any chainsuck (yet).

I use a wax-based lubricant for my chain (SquirtLube.com: Welcome).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Richardrichard:

1 - The protector arrived but I haven't had a chance to fit it yet. It looks plenty wide enough to me - the area where the chain jams against the stay is pretty small anyway. It is stainless, so it shouldn't get chewed like the flimsy ali one that comes on the bike.
    2 - I'm sure it won't affect flex in the chainstays.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I will add the F29 is an amazing bike. Don't hesitate if you are looking for a fast hardtail - such a joy to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for your replies. I am 99% there in terms of making my decision just waiting for my finances now! The company I am buying from offer some "free goods" with the bike and tyres are an option - they are all 2.2"wide can you confirm that there is enough clearance for wider tyres. I am almost certain they wont be an issue but want to check that there is plenty of clearance before I get them as spares.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Might depend on which tyres you're talking about. On my Carbon 1, there is a lot of clearance with 2.1 Schwalbes. I'm thinking about switching to 2.25 for a bit of extra comfort, I'm certain it won't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm running 2.25 Rocket Rons no worries - there's about 9mm either side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks, I think I have been over-thinking everything while I wait to buy! I hope I will have the bike within 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know how I get on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post
    Just ordered one of these, will let you know how it works out...

Cannondale Flash chainsuck protector 29er and 26er | eBay
    Update: I took the chainset off, cleaned and sanded the damaged area. The damage was mostly to the paint - the carbon looks pretty tough. I applied a couple of coats of nail varnish on the damaged area, so if the new protector does fail there's still a bit of protection over the carbon. The new protector fits around the stay quite tightly. It's only held on by a piece of double sided sticky, though it seems secure enough - you could always add some glue for good measure.

After a few rides and a bit of mud, my XX rings (26/39) had a few tries to suck the chain up but were blocked each time by the new protector. It seems to have two real advantages: 1) It's stainless steel so the chain doesn't chew into it and drag it off like the stock aluminium version. 2) It's folds around the stay more, so there's more protection and more area to hold it on.

If you have a F29 I'd really recommend it. I hope Cannondale are looking into this, as the stock protector is next to useless. The is a BIG improvement. A big thanks to Robert Brand for making us a proper solution to protect our lovely Flash frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    An update regarding the F29 carbon 3. It finally arrived a few weeks ago and have now had plenty of chance to try it out. I can safely say I am pleased I got it. It definitely climbs quickly and I don't notice any problems with handling on the downs.

I upgraded the shifters and front mech to XT but kept everything else stock. Initially I ran 40psi in the stock tyres but found this a bit sketchy so reduced to 30psi and are much improved.

I was concerned about chain suck so probably went a bit overboard so have Cannondale chainstay protector, lizard skin carbon effect chainstay protector and finally one of the stainless steel chainsuck protectors (which I have held in place with a zip tie in case it tries to fall off!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chainsuck on f29 C3-bike-2013-004.jpg  

chainsuck on f29 C3-bike-2013-002-compressed.jpg  

mtbr member
    Okay they protect, but they look awful. Could have done a bit better cosmetically.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The other thing that might help is a clutch mech. I just fitted one on my Flash and it definitely keeps a lot more tension on the chain. I think it would be quite hard to suffer chainsuck with one.